Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Lryics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lryics?
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I was just wondering everyone's view on this.

I was watching 7th Heaven the other night. There were some statements about lyrics affecting the way society is today.

In my opinion, I say lyrics definitly affect the way people are today. Some people sing along to the songs, bad words or not, and they don't even know what they're singing. But... The lyrics drill in their head and they might begin to agree with whatever the artist is saying in his/her song.

For instance, (example from 7th Heaven) a song tells that a person must treat women like objects. A male listens to it and likes the song. He listens to it many times and knows all the words. This male does not treat women like objects before the time of the song, but starts to because the lyrics are drilled into his head.

Does anyone dissagree? Does anyone agree? What are everyone's views on this?

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyAngel84
Activist
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyAngel84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I both agree and dissagree ....i think it depends on the age of the person and how there parents raise them...do there parents drill into there head how women are supposed to be treated when there still young and impressionable?? cuz if they dont and if they don't have sisters to help them out they may turn to music and think thats how it's supposed to be....but i think if a kid was raised to treat women w/respect i don't belive that any song can change them!

Oh ....and what happened on 7th heaven w/simon and stuff....i got called into work and forgot to tape it...i was pretty pissed when i realized i missed it..pleeeze fill me in!!! either here or in my post at the village people forum....bye.!

------------------
* No man/woman is worth your tears and the
only one who is, will never make you cry.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
If you love someone, put their name in a
circle, instead of a heart, because hearts can break,
but circles go on forever.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen
to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't
say.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If all my friends were to jump off a
bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the
bottom to catch them.*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 161 | From: Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone move this post to Parents, Adults, and Teens or It's All About You? I meant tp put it in one of the two, but I goofed. Silly me...

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

quote:
Originally posted by BabyAngel84:
but i think if a kid was raised to treat women w/respect i don't belive that any song can change them!

Do you think if a kid was raised that way do you think they would listen to the song at all?

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it depends on the person. Its the same with TV, video games, and movies.

I can watch a movie with lots of killing in it, and realise its not real, its not good, and its not something to imitate. Some people can't.

Of course, I'd question if it was the movies, etc. that made them do it, or if it was just an easy excuse.

My brother loves Slayer. He has all their CDs. Here's a sample:

quote:
Enter my mind can you stop the rage
No one shall mourn or pity my grave
Fighting the world without remorse
Searching for blood, to never grow old
A personal hell is where I reside
Taunting death sounds, cadavers in pain
Judging my soul, I am not His son
Screaming Gods name, I want some more

And yet, oddly enough, my brother has yet to turn into a mass-murdering vampiric psychopath.

He manages to be quite lazy and annoying, however. Does that count?

------------------
Shzick n.
The shocked instant between initially realising you've caught your genitals in a zipper, and feeling it.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i need sugar
i need a little water sugar
i get thoughts about you
and my mind wandering
like a little lost child
locked in a safe place
looking out the window
car passing fast past the window
click, click

underworld lyrics. i must be some sort of da-daist.

could you please stop the noise,
i'm trying to get some rest
from all the unborn chicken voices in my head
what's that? what's that?
i am paranoid, but no android.

radiohead. makes me postmodern nihilistic, paranoid schizophrenic.

umm, yeah.
truth is, some people are more impressionable that others. and some people know how to distinguish good music from utter crap -- but not enough of them.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.