Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Unofficial sex educator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unofficial sex educator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fun situation. I've become the unofficial sex educator at my school. We don't actually have one person who teaches Sex Ed. nor do we have a real guidance couselor. I go to a really cool progressive k-12 school, but since it has so many little kids, the nurse is often very busy. So word has gotten around with everyone that I just know this stuff. In the past few months, I've had quite a few other students come up to me and ask me questions about safer sex, anatomy, STDs, etc. I guess the word got around to the school nurse(who is really cool)too. Yesterday, SHE asked where one could go for sliding scale abortions in NYC. Today I was hanging out in her office(we're weird, we hang out in the nurse's office, she's cool, she has candy, it's spacious) and three 7th grade girls came in. They picked up a book about puberty and sex and started reading it and giggling. Then the nurse turned to them and said, "If you girls have any questions, ask ------(my name). She knows a lot about that kind of stuff and she is easy to talk to." It was so sweet. 5 minutes later the girls asked me what flavored condoms would be used for. I was so happy to answer them. The nurse has decided that from now on she is sending anyone with questions about sexuality to me. Yea I am sooooo gonna be a sex educator when I grow up. I just had to share that.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<enthusiastic applause>

That is so cool! Congratulations!

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now I will thusly break my usual protocol and congratulate you, girl, and tell you that I was just going to email you today and ask if you'd like to be an Advocate here.

Drop me a line (heather@scarleteen.com), and good for you, Poetgirl. You make us proud.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well definately congrats! I used to have a similar unofficial position when I was in high school. I think you'll find it very rewarding to know that you're helping other people to be safe and informed when they might not necessarily know these things otherwise. So good for you!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you! I'm sure you're gonna be a wonderful help to a lot of people since you seem to give out some great advice here!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean. When I was in high school I was someone that others listened to about sex and birth control and you name it. It wasn't quite the same as what you're seeing though since I'm a guy and it was mostly guys that I talked to about sex. The thing is, when a guy doesn't know something, especially about sex, they don't let on to it. Every guy seems to want to pretend that he wrote the Kinsey report when in fact the most he probably knows is something about slot A and tab B. When it comes to sex education, one of the best things you can do is go read about sex at the library. There are usually dozens of books on human sexuality there. Learn what they have to say and you'll be set for life.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Lee, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Miz Scarlet and I regularly get requests from people who want to use parts of our work in their own work -- papers, reports, things like that -- and we regularly turn them down. Why? Well, copyright law, for one thing, but also the simple fact that we aren't dispensing some magical mysterious information here, we're actually just serving as a clearinghouse for information which is available in pretty much any library you happen to want to go visit. It's amazing what you can learn about sex, bodies, and sexuality just by reading something as un-sexy as the Encyclopedia Britannica. You don't even have to head to the HQ part of the library shelves (the Library of Congress alphanumeric classification group that includes works on human sexuality).

But you're right, most people don't want to do the homework, and they don't want to do any independent thinking about sex, either. Partly, they don't want to seem ignorant, and partly, well, I think they just don't want to make the effort.

Thanks for putting in another plug for people going and doing their own homework when it comes to knowing about sex. Really, there's no substitute for just going and learning.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with you Hanne...people do need to go do their own homework. The problem we ran into at my school was that it was a Christian school and reading educational material about sex, or your own body was still considered wrong. lol, I remember the time there was this big party that was going to be happening (the administration was not informed) and I'd heard about 7 or 8 girls talking about how they intended to fool around with certain guys at this party. And then there were the million questions I got about sex that particular week. Finally I got tired of answering the same thing over and over...so I ran out to our local Planned Parenthood and picked up a bunch of their info and stuff and proceeded to give it to the people who were coming to me with questions. I nearly got kicked out for that one...the only reason I didn't was because no one would tell that I was the one who'd provided this informational material! If I remember correctly, the material was tossed in a fire once it was found. Isn't that absurd? But the risk was worth it I think, cause I didn't hear about any pregnancy or STD's coming from that party.

But that's beside the point...I must be getting old, letting myself run off on those rabbit trail memories...people should definately go get their own information. The less "second hand" it is, the more likely it is to be accurate.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only truly effective form of mind control is information control. Control what access a person has to information, and you'll largely control what they think about and believe. This is what makes information control one of the cornerstones of oppression and disenfranchisement.

Few things fill me with more intense anger and hatred than for an "adult" to attempt to hide and obscure information from someone who is younger. To do this undermines and damages the most fundamental freedom we possess, the freedom to think and look for ourselves. This is not a right that is gained with age, but a fundamental aspect of being a sane and rational human being. To say that young people don't have that right is about the same as saying that women don't have it, or blacks don't. It all boils down to the same thing, discrimination intended to degrade and control someone. Sadly, this sort of brainwashing is largely what ammounts to "raising" children in this country. Sadder still is the fact that it is so often successful.

Freedom of thought comes before freedom of speech. How can someone truly have freedom of expression if the thoughts and ideas they are expressing are not their own?

Robert A. Heinlein wrote about these issues in several of his stories. There is a passage in Revolt in 2600 that I especially like:

"When any government . . . undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,' the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."

This of course applies to women as well.

Because we are young, we are surrounded on most sides by those who would attempt to mold us into what they think a person should be like. Information control is their primary weapon. But it is easy to defuse. Seek out information on your own. I don't just mean about sex either. Take with a grain of salt anything and everything that you're told that isn't backed up by what you've seen for yourself. Especially seek out information that people try to hide from you. Knowledge is power after all, and if someone is trying to hide information from you it is almost always part of an attempt do disempower you.

I think a lot of people are put off when I get on these rants like this. I don't mean to talk down to anyone and I don't mean to be boring. I'm just trying to remind everyone of things they already know deep down, but might not have thought about recently.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, PoetGirl. I think it's really cool that you can openly talk about sex to people you don't know in person. It just shows how strong you are.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.