Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Big Game (School Spirit)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Game (School Spirit)
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
seems this weekend was Big Game weekend for universities across the US.

i went to Big Game this year. It was here, at berkeley. We were too cheap to buy ourselves tickets, so we decided to climb this hill behind the stadium and watch the game from there.

the hill was incredibly steep -- much steeper than it looked. people kept sliding down the hill during the game. one guy rolled, bounced and rolled off the head and back of a girl below him. he totally ate dirt. my boyfriend, his flatmate and i clung precariously to a tree on the cliffside. everyone watched the game, i watched the treetrunk. then i tried climbing down the hill, but decided i was already so caked in dirt i might as well slide down the side of the hill. so i did.

oh, and we lost. like we always do. (30-36)in overtime. our football team sucks. the only play i really saw during the entire game was Stanford intercepting a pass and scoring a 70-yard touchdown to tie the game. i will graduate from this place never knowing the joy of possessing the Axe (whatever this mythical Axe is).

anyway, GO BEARS! i take comfort in knowing that there's a "Berkelium" on the periodic table, and not a "Stanfurdium."
http://www.berkeley.edu

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purdue's big game was this weekend too. Now they're going to the Rose Bowl, which is, quite thankfully, far far away from here. Californians, I apologize.

Fortunately, there were no riots this time. For the past two years during basketball season, students have set things on fire and rioted when teams won or lost in the NCAA tournaments. Not fun.

Saturday night they just got drunk and peed everywhere, tho.

Erin, leaving town tomorrow, yay!

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another place where national differences come into play. Although I go to a big university with teams competing in all the major sports, I don't think I know of a single person who ever goes to the games. I've been meaning to for a while now, but it just hasn't happened -- something always gets in the way.
Maybe this will astound you Americans used to seeing 50,000 people at university sporting events: the football stadium where my school's team plays holds only about 3,000 people. The basketbal complex holds far less. There's so much about U.S. school culture (at various levels) that goes on down there, that just doesn't seem to happen up here. We don't have much of a homecoming to speak of, either.
And, by the way, Gumdrop, Berkeley has nothing on the school where I played high school football. In my first game at there, we lost by over 90 points. Yes, we were playing football, and yes, we had the same number of players on the field as our opponents.

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 11-20-2000).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Big Games, in skool we have one week dedicated to the BIG GAME!!! its sooo muuch fun, next year will be my last year doing it, and thats definalty one of the things I will miss!!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My high school lost our homecoming game 8-58. We are the Royals, and we Royally suck.

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know if my college HAS a football team. I go to a community college though, or 13th grade as I like to call it.

But it has a website and no, no football team...how sad. http://www.sunyulster.edu/default.asp

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are *SO* going to stomp on Stanford this year! yee-HAW! Big Game is next weekend, and I am stoked to go! i'm even skipping the annual mushroom foray in Mendocino to catch the game.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Be nice!
Where I live, we actually DO have a 13th grade!!!!!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add, my High school lost our game this year 0-24 or something like that. Lynnwood cannot play football.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not for long, ya don't, cupcake...

------------------
"Frank, get back to work! And if the acid burns you, well, good!"
-Ms. Gusto, Grade 11 physical geography class

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the big game in Canadian university football takes place this Saturday at Toronto's Skydome as the University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) plays St. Mary's University (Halifax) for the Vanier Cup.

The first intercollegiate football game was played on May 14, 1874 between McGill and Harvard.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 11-22-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And tomorrow is the big ol' UCLA-USC shindig. Like any good Bruin, I donned myself in my most work-appropriate blue-and-gold shirt today, and was stunned to see how many of my compatriots in town had done the same. Everyone was either in red-and-yellow or blue-and-gold, it seems that everyone has an opinion.

And of course, we're favored to be trounced...though I don't think it'll be as bad as it was last year. (Please?)

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

quote:
Originally posted by Bobolink:
Of course, the big game in Canadian university football takes place this Saturday at Toronto's Skydome as the University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) plays St. Mary's University (Halifax) for the Vanier Cup.

And Bobo, it's such a damn shame that people don't care. If the people running the Vanier Cup had any brains at all, they'd get the game outta Toronto and piggy back it with the Grey Cup. There are tens of thousands of rabid football fans in Edmonton this weekend. If they played the Vanier Cup at Commonwealth Stadium today, they'd get thousands of those fans who are otherwise idle today, as they wait for tomorrow's game.

Go Alouettes!

------------------

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

St. Mary's defeated University of Saskatchewan 33-21 to win the Canadian university football championship for the second year in a row. This feat was last accomplished in 1976 and 1977 by the University of Western Ontario.

I'm not sure that piggybacking the Vanier Cup onto the Grey Cup is such a good idea. University and professional football are two different markets. The Vanier Cup has always been played in Toronto, first at Varsity Stadium, then Exhibition Stadium and now, Skydome. There has been a tradition established. The Vanier Cup is usually played one weekend after the Grey Cup. This year's scheduling conflict was an abberation. Next year's Vanier Cup will take place one week after the Grey Cup which will be played in Regina.

BTW, go Alouettes!

Bob

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 11-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 11-24-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We won! Seven bloody years later and we finally won!!! score was 30-7, game was called 11 seconds early and thousands of fans rushed the field. celebration culminated in the uprooting of both goalposts (it's a relatively new tradition, for the past three years or so), and there was much "hoo-riding" (a very East Bay sort of concept).

hurrah, we got the AXE! GO BEARS!

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Alouettes!!!! Ils ont gagne ses epaulettes!!

Alouettes de Montréal 25
Edmonton Eskimos 16

------------------

- Albert Einstein

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Yeah, Bobo, this'll be one of the most memorable Grey Cups I've been through.

My friend came over to watch the game, because he has no cable and his CBC recption is fuzzy. So, I have no hot water right now. My water heater has been on the fritz lately for reasons unknown to me. It's been blowing fuses faster than I can put in new ones. So, my landlord comes over tonight to look at it. He plays with the fuse box and the lights flicker. He says that he can't fix it and someone will come tomorrow.

My friend and I get through the first half just fine, but when Shania came on, everything fell apart. All the lights/electrical appliances in the apartment shut off, save for those in the kitchen. So, we did what any sensible young men in the same situation would do - we moved the television into the kitchen.

Great. One problem: it's been a year and a half since I got cable, and I can't find my antenna. Well, anyway, to sum it up, we spent the night at the kitchen table, listening to the game on the radio, and playing video game football on the television.

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.