Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What if...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if...
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Thursday, my advanced placement class held a socratic seminar. The question was:

If you woke up tomorrow and society as we know it was gone, vanished poof...what would happen? There would still be language, but thats it. EVERYTHING is gone.

What do you guys think?

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VACATION!

Killer. No really, I'm fairly serious. I'm always up for a challenge. Plus, having spent my very early years living alternately out of a van, with an Italian-speaking grandmother, and with the Amish so my father could resist the draft, you could say I'm used to pretty quick cultural shifts.

Yes, I know that was lame. But it's late. And I do need a vacation, and that'd also mean the end of my deadlines and bills due.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we would make it all up again together and in pretty short order. We are fond of our creature comforts.
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm with Miz S!!

seriously because in this country today everyone's (well almost everyone's) life is based around society. from what we wear to what we listen to/watch on tv.

i think if society disappeared i would take a vacation were i wouldn't have ANYTHING to worry about. no one to impress (which a lot of us spend a majority of our life doing whether you know it or not).

------------------
**Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted**

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you guys need a vacation! Try about three days in cave meditating and you should be ready for society again.

An incredible English women, now called Tenzin Palmo did that, for 12 years. There is a wonderful biography of her call 'Cave in the Snow'. Even she was not without society though.

Joking aside, the truth is none of us could survive anywhere for more than a few days at most without society.

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're wrapping up our studies of early religion and we've been studying the progression of society from whenever. Yay! No more getting mad at my textbook! The Catholic church has a very bloody history...

Hey Ron--where can I find that book? It sounds really interesting.

My classmates had some really interesting ideas. But everyone agreed that subconsciously, we'd create another society. Maybe similar to the existing one. We'd create another religion, since that is the basis for society if you trace it back long enough. Who knows...maybe, just maybe, we'd make it more accepting than this one.

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

the full citation is:

Mackenzie, Vicki (1998) The Cave in the Snow. A Western Woman's Quest for Enlightenment. London: Bloomsbury Publishing Co.

Turns out its a British book and there are all these weird copyright restrictions between US and UK, so only hardback available here. But you can find it on Amazon.com

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Yay! Now where is my christmas list...My sister will have fun. She does ALL her shopping at Amazon.com.
SpiralTwist
Neophyte
Member # 1991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpiralTwist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is crazy! lol. I need a vacation too. But, that's besides that point. I'm not sure how we'd handle no society.(It's late & I'm tired and I'm not spelling well so just ignor that aspect of this post.) I mean, look at the some of the countries in Africa. They're a wreck. They have, a sort, of society too. Plus, with all the kiling going on, would we really be able to work together and create something new? I'm not trying to be negative, becuase I'm usually a positive thinking person, but I'm just not to sure. I hope we'd be capable of it...

~Spiral*Twist

Posts: 13 | From: Jersey City, NJ | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont take society for granted, it provides us wth food, shelter and usually justice
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.