Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » motivation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: motivation
rusty_pup
Neophyte
Member # 443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rusty_pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey!
alright, well before i hit puberty i used to be motovated a lot and stuff but since i started highschool i've found it really hard to stay motivated i can never be bothered to do my homework, i want to but it just never happens! i go through little bursts of motivation but then i get my books out and it disappears. this makes it REALLY hard to study for exams and get assignements done.
has anyone else had this happen to them? what did you do?
how do you ussual get moivated?
-thank you
rusty_pup

Posts: 14 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say mostly it's hormonal changes.. since you're growing, you use up a lot more energy, and need to change your sleeping and eating patterns to suit.

First thing might be to go to your doctor to have your iron levels checked.. I lacked a lot of motivation when I was 13/14, and it was due to being aememic.. once they put me on iron supplements, I began to feel better..

Try exercising as well, get your heart rate up, and keep it going..

It's quite normal to go through a period of being unmotivated.. but it's really just a stage, nothing to be too worried about

entropie

------------------
honeylaser's site

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to say it, but in the absence of spontaneous motivation, discipline works wonders.

I once sat in on a masterclass with the great concert violinist Isaac Stern, and someone asked him how he stayed motivated when he practiced violin. He replied that every day, he would choose one small thing, and he would simply work until it was perfect.

It's a good basic technique. Choosing discrete tasks -- like say, reading 10 pages of your Chemistry assignment and doing the problem set -- and chopping your work up into manageable bites can make it seem much less taxing than having a huge big pile that you have to somehow get through. Pick one thing that you are going to do, then do it. Then give yourself a little break. Then pick another thing and do that.

Often, I find that the motivation comes once you start doing something -- it interests you and the next thing you know, you really don't mind so much.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.