Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Got it bad for a teacher...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got it bad for a teacher...
thefourthsister
Neophyte
Member # 1037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thefourthsister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God, I *so* need to get this off my chest... I wouldn't dare tell my friends, since they'd think I was nuts. (Not that I'm not.. lol)

I'm an 11th grader with a major crush on my philosophy teacher. Actually, that's not the case: it's really more of a lust thing than any type of anything else. (Know what I mean?)I've got a huge thing for older guys- which sucks, because I don't want to do anything illegal, and, yet, they're the only type I tend to go for- and he's incredibly hot for a -?- thirty/maybe older guy.

Yeah, I know it's wrong. But as long as it's in my mind it's OK, right? I'm just wondering- am I the only one here, and a major weirdo, or have any of you guys been in the same situation?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not wrong to have a crush on anyone. It's simply not always right to act on those feelings, that's all.

Crushes on teachers happen to the best of us, and it's no real surprise. They're usually very intelligent people who have a good reppor with younger folks.

However, acting on it isn't just a matter of things being illegal. For a teacher to get involved with a student is unethical, even in the cases that it is legally okay.

Sometimes too, it's worth looking at when your attractions always lead us far outside our age group. It's usually telling us something -- in the case of seeking out people far older than us, it can mean that we're looking to be cared for or led, rather than engaging in mutually giving relationships, and that's not such a good thing.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think the line blurs a bit when you get to college. the teachers assistants tend to be graduate students, so there's a matter of 3 to 7 years difference in age.

lately, i've noticed one of the TAs in a class i'm taking has been making an awful lot of small talk and he looks at me a lot during class. okay, the guy is attractive, and he's got this dead-sexy accent...

but we won't go there because for starters, i'm taken. and it's not right to do that sort of thing. it's just not right.

but once you're out of the class, there's not really anything wrong with it, is there?

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think the thics of teacher-student relationships (like boss-employyee ones) have little to do with age.

It has to do with issues of power. It is difficult at best to be in a mutually balanced relationship with someone who can seriously control and affect your life outside of it. A boss or teacher cannot POSSIBLY evaluate someone fairly he or she is sleeping with, and you're going to have little room to complain if they do abuse that power.

In addition, MOST schools (even colleges) have in their job contracts that the teachers may not have affairs with students.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thefourthsister
Neophyte
Member # 1037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thefourthsister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, I wouldn't *dream* of acting on it, not now and not later, because it *is* way wrong ethically long after it's acceptible legally.

And I know my attraction to older guys is some sort of a psycho-Freudian connection to my lack of a really good father figure growing up, Electra complex, blah, blah, blah, which is why I never act on these crushes. So don't worry about that.

However, it's undeniable that sometimes the stuff that is the most "wrong" is the most attractive. And, again... there's no harm in imagining.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to hear something disturbing?

I used to have a German teacher in high school. "She" was tall, very broad shouldered, and busty. Horrific dress sense, and a face that'd make a pug dog feel better. (Hey, its nasty, but true!)

Thanks to the joys of chainsmoking (and possibly the language too - who knows with German!), her voice was somewhat like starting a chainsaw. Very deep, gravelly, and manly.

To put it bluntly, I felt no more attraction to her, than I did to our revered Prime Minister. (May his eyebrows forever grow in magnificence)

The night before my final German exam, I had a "dream" about her. Lets just say that waking up that morning was a blessing for once! The dream kinda freaked me out.

That day I got to sit an exam in a subject I hadn't studied at all for, with a teacher who you couldn't ignore, thanks to her eau de cigarette. I was continually reminded of my dream.

I think that's probably why I don't usually remember my dreams now!

The moral is that you should pity me for my anti-crush, and try and get over your own!

I just have to let this out: EWWW!

------------------
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice
Crazy like a shoehorn, bay-be!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

A certrain little missy wanted me to let you know that she resembled that remark.

She's innumerably hurt that you'd compare her to (gasp!) a nasty german teacher. The poor dear.

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mz S, is that puppy yours??? It's sooo cute!!! And if it is, who is that in the background?

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

She's the bestest. Her name is Sofia.

And that's me, goofy. A poorly lit me, but me nonetheless.

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...

If I asked which one was the pug...I'd be brutally beaten, right?

------------------
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice
Crazy like a shoehorn, bay-be!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.