Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Hurricanes & Other Natural Disasters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hurricanes & Other Natural Disasters
Aja Valderamma
Activist
Member # 519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aja Valderamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone

The cool thing about the scarleteen boards is that there is a cross section of peeps from various parts of the US and even other countries.

It's Hurricane season again here in Florida and Ms Debby is getting her PMS just south of us.

I am terrified of Hurricanes. If you never seen the destruction that they cause it's mind blowing. Everything here get's crazy when people start to brace for a 'cane'

Has anyone else experienced fear from, witnessed first hand, or been through a natural disaster like a cane, tornado, cyclone, flood, wild fire, or earthquake.

One of my good friends was hurt badly when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida. You can hear the roof peel away off your house, the wind just howls. It's something that since I was a little kid I always has a paralyzing fear over!

there's probably something to name this fear like'tropicaldisturnaceaphobia" of something.

Can anyone else relate

Aja

Posts: 204 | From: Capr Coral, Florida. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiral
Activist
Member # 533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earthquakes! I really hated them, and when the Northridge quake hit, I was freaked out. Something landed on my foot and it was pretty heavy, but at the time I didn't realize it cuz I was too scared. I just heard the noise of something falling, well alot of things were falling at the moment.
Finally the quake stopped, then I felt the pain. I looked down and my foot was bloody. It wasn't huge, I didn't need any stiches, so I was happy.

------------------
Jenny kissed me when we met, jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get sweets into your list, put that in:
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad, say that health and wealth have missed me, say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kissed me.
-Leigh Hunt
(1838)

Posts: 88 | From: Los angeles,Ca,USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I've never been in any serious natural disasters

Eek...I hope everyone in Florida stays safe.

------------------
"Can't this wait til I'm old?"-Phish
hannah@atarikid.com

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StilQuackn
Neophyte
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StilQuackn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also live in Florida. But my little town hasn't been hit by a big hurricane since the 1940's or something like that. After the last big one, the town bought this hurricane statue that is still downtown. I don't know if it works or not, but it seems kinda neat. Although it seems kinda sick, my sister and I always look forward to hurricane season, my town is so boring that we depend on nature to make it exciting, as long as no one gets hurt. Last year when hurricane floyd hit us I got to miss a week of school. Trees were uprooted in my neighborhood and downtown was flooded. No one was hurt and nothing was damaged too bad though. It's amazing what nature can do.
Posts: 34 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have always lived in earthquake territory. but now that i'm in a bay area, the quakes are stronger and more freqeunt than back home.

my biggest fear is the "Big One" hitting when i'm in the shower. I'd hate to have to duck and cover while naked and soaking wet. One hit when i was showering once, and i watched the bathroom door jolt from side to side, but it subsided in a matter of seconds.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol Gumdrop Grl!!!!!!!! I know how you feel exactly!!!! I have always lived in California and it is quite of a bit worse here in the Bay Area then it was in the Central Valley. But after living in California all of my life, the small ones are really no big deal. It's just like "oh the water is splashing out of the pool and the lamp is rocking." It's just funny to watch the relatives that come to visit out of state and they freak out!!!!! We just stand there like "What is the problem!!!" But the big ones really suck, I have to walk under a bridge that interstate 80 runs over on my way home and I am terrified every time that the big one will hit when I am walking under it and a semi truck will fall on me!!!!!! Good luck to all of you that are in Florida and I have hope that Hurricane Debby won't be that bad because that is my mom's name is and she is generally a very calm and nice person. Hopefully the hurricane will live up to its name!!!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lintu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have tornados here, naturally. We've had 2 near me...one strong one literally down the street, and one that hit us but was only strong enough to rip all the shingles off the houses of my neighborhood. They're scary things, those tornados, mainly because you can't always see them coming! The one that hit my neighborhood was at night, which is really weird, but they're terrible because then you *really* don't know what's going to happen.

-Laurie-

Posts: 33 | From: Dallas, TX, USA (sometimes) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey sunflower! i'm from the central valley, too.

and you live way out towards the freeway? that's a bit far from campus, innit?

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's not exactly a natural disaster, today I'm off school because we're having a snow day! Nope, it's not snowing, but it's so hot that they called school because many of the buildings (including the elementary school where I work) aren't air conditioned and with the heat index well over 100 it's too darn hot for the kiddies and teachers to be there. Unfortunately it counts agains our snow day quota for the year, but that's better than having students and staff passing out from heatstroke.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glitter Princess
Activist
Member # 995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glitter Princess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Aja, I HATE hurricanes. I live in New York, so sometimes, the hurricanes travel up here. Hurricanes and lightning storms (im a lil baby). It's not so much the lightning or thunder (unless its loud and takes me by surprise!) It's the strong wind and how you can hear your house shifting. There have been a few hurricanes here, and believe it or not, tornado warnings.

------------------

"No day but today,"-RENT

RIP Jonathan Larson

Posts: 70 | From: a boring life in a boring town with the same old crowd | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i as visiting family in florida when the "famous" hurricane andrew hit. i was like 10 when it was happening. my family was running around taping the windows and basically going crazy. i was so frightened of what could happen lucky i fell asleep and slept throught the WHOLE thing

alsoo now that i live in cali...it's earthquakes that scare me. to make it worse i LIVE on the san andreas fault. that's the fault rumored to one day make california it's own island hopefully that doesn't happen!!!

------------------
~*GoDdEsS oF lOvE aNd BeAuTy*~

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop Girl, I live in El Cerrito, it's about a five minute walk away from the BART and then it is only another five minute ride in!!!!!! It really isn't bad considering where I was living!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've slept through about 3 earthquakes.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been in a tropical cyclone, once. Or rather, the outskirts. Basically solid rain - it turned the area around Darwin into a lake.

Which is impressive, cos a lot of it is usually a dustbowl.

We were driving North, just outside Darwin, when we got stopped by a road so badly flooded that even trucks couldn't get through. Everyone just headed for the pub.

We asked around for a motel, and it turns out there was one right there. But..."the roof blew off 5 years ago, and we didn't bother putting it back on".

How do I describe it? The atmosphere was 5% air, 95% water. There was 326mm of rain in 24 hours - a record. (180mm is about 6')

The next morning, the road (formerly under 1.5-2m of water) was now dry. There wasn't so much as a puddle beside the road.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

gahh! we had a quake the other night! my apartment was rumbling for about 30 seconds. the epicenter was near Napa (about 90 minutes north of here), and about 30 people were injured.

------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I live in North Seattle. Aside from rain (yes, we do get A LOT of it)we have lots of earthquakes. Little itty bitty ones, but still. Enough to make the news. And supposedly we have a "big one" coming as well. Course, we've been told that for years, so now no one cares...

------------------
Draw closer if you dare, feel the wind of the massive wings, the heat of flaming breath, the steel stare of fiery eyes... and let your dreams take flight...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.