Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Beauty Standards (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Beauty Standards
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let's say you're at the grocery store. As you're checking out, you stand faced with a veritable army of either: ultra-successful, ultra-famous, or ultra-thin, and by current standards, ultra-beautiful damsels smiling beatifically from a myriad of magazine covers.

Does this bother you? Do the current beauty standards and a near-religious zeal to idolize them leave you feeling like hell, or do you have enough confidence to know better? Does all this have an effect on your self-esteem?

have you ever written a letter to an editor espousing such standards? If you did or would, what would you say?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Necka11
Activist
Member # 467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necka11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can admit when i look at a magazine cover and there is an asolutely gorgeous girl i usually kinda laugh and say "bitch"! lol but then i think, there are very few people who have a perfect body, perfect face, perfect teeth, and more average people. Ithink i am a very pretty girl, but i could stand to lose a few pounds. All those girls on magazine covers aren't flawless, that's what air-brushing is for. I am more lielky to compare myself to everyday, average girls than i am to supermodels because no moatter what i did i would never be a supermodel so what's the point dwelling on something you can't change. I guess to some woman they would think thta these magazines are setting atandard to which girls should look like but i don't. I kind of ignore it. I wouldn't write to the editor because, why? It's not like they would change it anyways, and plus there are plenty of magazines about gorgeous men too, so it is equal
Posts: 47 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 12 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I get pretty upset at some of those famous people and the way that they look, but I found something out that made me really happy!!!! A friend of mine and a fellow poster knows someone who was in a Britney Spears video and she found out that back then (this was the Crazy video) that Britney was chunky (she ate like a pig when they had lunch), she had bad acne ( the lighting made it go away), and they had to put fake hair in her hair to make it look pretty. It made me feel a lot better to know that she was a regular person!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a poem I wrote about it.
quote:
Perfect
"Nobody's perfect" they all say
"Everybody had flaws, imperfections, blemishes"
"The models in the magazines aren't perfect... THEY'RE AIRBRUSHED!"
So...
That means that if they were really that skinny...
They would be perfect?

They tell me perfection comes when:
Hair is blonde
Eyes are blue
Nose is thin
Lips are too
Thirty-six, twenty-four, thirty six
Tall as a tree, legs like sticks

I say, perfection comes when:
Smile is big
Esteem is high
Friends are plenty
Love is nigh
Something is learned every day
You do everythig your way
I do not understand why skinny equals perfect
All I know is that I'm not perfect
I'm more than perfect

I am human

There's my opinion.

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It bothers me when girls feel like they have to live up to that, but when I look at myself I think that if someone's attracted to me, then they're most likely not going to see me as a collection of body parts that don't live up to a magazine cover. If they wanted that, then I've no doubt that I wouldn't care whether they were attracted to me or not.

I think that writing letters can be effective, although I've never done it myself. Australian Cosmopolitan started using a few plus-size models along with the waifs due to readers saying that's what they wanted, and reader reactions were overwhelmingly supportive.

Often, I think however, that it's the attitude of other females who make the situation worse than the magazines itself. I remember when I was at high school many girls would bitch about other girls simply due to their appearance- saying this one has stretch marks, that one has a big butt, etc, which could be very harmful. Once we learn to support each other with our diverse appearances, then I think that we would see a mend in these superficial so-called beauty standards.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Necka11
Activist
Member # 467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necka11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write that really mop? hat is really good!! And i agree totally
Posts: 47 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of us are affected by what society (and especially men) perceives to be beautiful. That's why so many girls starve themselves to be thin, spend a fortune on makup hair and clothes, and are getting themselves lipposuction and boob jobs! We all want to look great, and at the same time, we are all in competition with each other!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just think to myself, "You do graphics editing on your computer, Lem-girl, and you know how to get blemishes out of skin and you're not even paid to do that." Or else, I think about what some of these models have said in interviews - that they a) weren't always pretty B) aren't always happy and that they feel insecure just like the rest of us do, except THEY'RE on display all the time. Can you imagine modeling on that first day of your period when your breasts hurt, you have a backache, and you're bleeding like a stuck pig? ;]

------------------
"...The premium work of They Might Be Giants is what we want people to pay for. Unless they can figure out some way to get it for free." ~John Linnell, of TMBG

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful poem, Mophead.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't bother me except when I think of my becoming bulemic to try to live up to the standards on the glossy smiling magazines. Otherwise I just laugh. Lately I've taken up weight lifting and errr, no sign of muscles yet! No toned arms at all. And I think of the models that are TONE not SKINNY and realize they had to work hard....yup. But I just read this book about time travel and the main theme was that beuaty can get you anywhere, in any century. Just think that a century ago people were locked away for being ugly or deformed so they wouldn't shame their families!!! Okay yea it pisses me off

Britt

PS: yes I wrote to the editor of Allure just saying how mad I was that THEY caused my friend to be bulemic. We poured over the magazine imagining what we could possible do to be THAT perfect, that beautiful, and that accepted. And taht is what came of it. Of course I got a very nice e-mail back (as I sent the letter via e-mail) saying since so many people write letters they couldn't reply to each one personally but assured me that my letter would be read.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can admit that I sort of do get jealous when I look at all of these famous people and see how pretty they are and how good they look. But then I also think about how much money they have put into their looks!! And I think its ludacris. Not everyone is a natural looking superstar but if everyone in the world was "perfect" or "perfect looking" how would our society be? Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be one of those girls on a cover of the magazines. To be pretty and famous. But then I think about how much privacy they don't have and how they actually do have flaws like everyone else!! When they get old, they are going to have stress and tired bags under their eyes and they aren't going to be so pretty!! :-)

Who do you envy and who do you think is the prettiest/hottest celebrity out there today?

I think mine would have to be Julia Stiles. She is so pretty.....

And I still think Tom Cruise is cute no matter how old he is!! :-) But most recent I think would have to be Ben Affleck and Kevin Costner doesn't look that bad for an older guy.

------------------
Give it all you got.. and if that doesn't work, give it some more!!!

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drew Barrymore is a beautiful girl, and she's not horribly skinny or anorexic-looking...Winona Ryder, as well, even though she is thin, it seems like just her body type (look at her all the way from Edward Scissorhands and before to Girl, Interrupted).

Neither one of these actresses makes me feel bad about my body like the models in magazines sometimes do.
~lemming

------------------
"...The premium work of They Might Be Giants is what we want people to pay for. Unless they can figure out some way to get it for free." ~John Linnell, of TMBG

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Those are great examples.

Of course, what was truly pathetic is that when Kate Winslet (who is extraordinarily beautiful, and in fact THINNER than the average woman as far as statistics go) started getting around, while the general population was really captivated by her beauty and telant, all the women's mags couldn't say enough that she was F - A - T, all the while holding her up to a standard ideal that is generally far too thin to be healthy.

Same goes of course, with age, as you get older. You find more and more people are said to look "great for their age" which really means they look ten years younger. Of course, women at 40 or 50 who LOOK 40 or 50 can be gorgeous too. Designer Betsey Johnson is a fantastic example, as is an actress like Lena Olin or Jessica Lange.

Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wish that girls who looked like Marilyn Monroe were considered beautiful in todays world!! that wouls be awesome! :-)

------------------
Give it all you got.. and if that doesn't work, give it some more!!!

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Here's what the poem means. A lot of people use the excuse that the models in magazines are airbrushed. But if they weren't airbrushed, or taped up, or made up, if they really looked the way they looked in the pictures, does that make them suddenly perfect? No. They're still human. So am I.

------------------

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

They are, Music.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that what the media presents isn't neccessarily what the "world" thinks. In fact, it rarely, rarely is.

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well everyone know body types, like fashioins, go in circles. So one day there will be a place in the world for full figured marilyn manroes. Now, I ask you, do you think a guy would rather be with a skinny (and pretty flat girl) or a vulumptious curvy girl. Notice my adjetices and you'll see which one I like Plus hey, it's easier for girls with hips to have kids! Yay! Lots of kids for me!
Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gost
Neophyte
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I do retouching of models for a living and I'm also a photographer. I thought some of you might appreciate my input on this subject.

First off, airbrushing is hardly ever used to do retouching, especially these days where most of it is done on a computer using Photoshop or other similar software. Work not done on the computer is done with dyes and bleaches under high magnification, with very fine brushes, right on the film itself. It takes an artist with a pretty steady hand and it's very tedious. Airbrushes are used more for illustration work, not for retouching. Interestingly enough, there are many more women retouchers than men, although that is changing as the work moves onto computers.

Many of you will actually have similar retouching done on your high school senior portraits if you get your sittings done at most of the better portrait studios. The idea here is that most people prefer not to remember (or be remembered by) their acne when they look at their portraits later in life. A zit, after all, is only there for a little while and is not a permanent part of your face. Same goes for braces, fly-away hair, or that bra strap that somehow made itself visible just at the wrong moment. Retouching portraits is pretty standard. If you don't want it done, you have to tell them.

As far as the magazine models go, the retouching done on them is a little more extensive, but similar in idea. Their retouching actually starts with a makeup artist. Makeup covers a good amount of any blemishes, and also does a lot to reduce the baggy eyes that are the result of the model getting up at 4 in the morning after not finishing yesterday's shoot until midnight. Makeup aside, there is always things left to retouch after the shoot is done. Most models don't have any less blemishes than anybody else. In fact, in my experience, many seem to have more problems with acne than the norm. Maybe it's all that makeup clogging their pores while their faces try to sweat under the hot lights, I don't know.

Basically, my job is to make sure that there is nothing about the model that will distract you away from the product being sold. The advertiser wants you to remember their product, not the zit on the end of the model's nose, or the sharp creases on her neck, or the smeared mascara on her eyelid, or the bit of lunch still stuck between her teeth. And it's not just women that are retouched this way. Male models get exactly the same treatment. If there's more of the model's skin showing than just their face, that gets retouched too. In my experience, just about every person has stretch marks, scars, veins, and wrinkles in the oddest of places, so never worry about yours. Not to mention tan lines, razor stubble, scabs, bruises, etc.

Aside from cosmetic retouching, I also have to make sure there are no odd shadows being cast, like under the nose or chin, or funny folds or wrinkles in their outfits, or even price tags that were overlooked in the rush to get the shoot done. Once I even had to retouch a spider off of someone's clothing. Neither the photographer or the model ever noticed it was there.

Women editors tend to be the most critical about how extensively a model is retouched. They will notice every single stray hair, including out of place eyelashes. Men never seem to notice these things as much. Ever notice how long it takes a guy to realize his girlfriend has a new hair style? Women see these things immediately.

As humans, we have an affinity for looking at other peoples faces. It's programmed into our brains. That's why so many magazines at the check out stand have closeups of faces, because you can't help looking at them while you have nothing better to do. The more you like the face, the more likely you are to pick up the magazine and maybe buy it. Women tend to buy magazines with other women's faces on them, and the better they perceive that other woman's grooming to be, the more likely they are to buy. That's how you're being manipulated by those magazine covers, and the fact is, it works. And that's mostly what retouching is all about. You should never feel intimidated by a magazine cover or any of the models on them. After all, it isn't designed to be real, it's designed to sell you something by taking advantage of human psychology.

As far as the skinny or fat issue, that really doesn't have anything much to do with retouching. No one has ever asked me to take a hundred pounds or so off a model, although even the thinnest ones get those bulges that stick out here and there when they bend a certain way, or where elastic bands cut into their skin, like bikini bottoms. Those I've had to retouch if they're distracting. Everyone has bulges under the right circumstances, that's probably why even the skinniest people seem to think they're overweight. I have noticed that in recent years, there's a tendency to use more variety of models of different body types than in the past, and of different ages. Maybe that's a good sign.

The fact is, models really are normal people too, with the same flaws as the rest of us. As a group, they have neither more nor less insecurities about themselves than any other person on the planet. The most popular models with photographers are the ones that have a really strong work ethic, show up on time, and do everything they can to make a shoot go as smoothly as possible. A good attitude is something that no amount of retouching can enhance.

Wow, turned out to be a pretty long post. Hope this all helps.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~sullengirl~
Neophyte
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~sullengirl~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i have 2 admit that i would get really pissed off, i like the song "staring problem" by no doubt , i actually got 2 C them in concert last night which was so cool, and Gwen said k, girls u know what i'm talkin bout when i sing this, so sing along. And i agree with the lyrics, if u know the lyrics that's great, a part goes like this,"what's it like to have that body?" and i agree when u look @ some 1 like that who seems perfect, u can't help staing. this is also gonna sound lame but if u listen 2 the song by:M2M, called,"Mirror Mirror." it also is good @ least the lyrics r, here i'll write a part,"Mirror, mirror lie 2 me, show me what i wanna c," I think the same i wish i could look completely different and have guys drool over me, who doesn't? I know that might sound vain but that's not the way i wanted it 2 sound.
but i gotta go
lot's of luv

------------------
*~*~Lux~*~*

Posts: 34 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input, gost!
(I would have said "Thanks for the post, gost," but that would have sounded insane.. :P) So... yeah.

------------------

Anne860
Neophyte
Member # 538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne860     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I work the nightshift in a grocery store at night and I see those darn magazines every night. Usually I don't pay attention to the covers unless a particular actress I like is on there the cover. It's like comic book creator Brian Michael Bendis said of his trip to L.A.: "Eventually you stop noticing the pretty plastic people. They become like the palm trees Sort of."

The general trend towards extreme thinness does worry me, though. I remember flipping through Time magazine and a graph caught my eye. On the left it showed various weights for women and one figure was indicated to be the World Health Organization's minimum healthy weight. On the bottom were the decades since the beginning of the Miss America contest. The line on the graph indicated the decreasing weight of the women crowned Miss America in the past. For a decade now every woman who has won the crown has been below the WHO's minimum healthy weight standard.

In other words, if all the Miss America's were whisked away to a small island nation would be classified as an undernourished (yet glamorous) population and qualify for famine relief aid!

Now imagine what will happen if this trend continues. Scouts from modeling agencies would be traveling to Ethiopia and India to sign up young girls:

Scout: Let's see, how tall are you?

Starving Peasant Girl: 5 feet, 3 inches tall.

Scout: Hm, mm. And how much do you weigh?

SPG: 75 pounds

Scout: That's great! How would you like to be a model? You can have anything you want.

SPG: Can I have something to eat?

Scout: Well, except that. But we'll get you a date with a basketball player or even a Rolling Stone...

Makes your skin crawl, doesn't it?

These absurd standards for good looks aren't confined to just women anymore, either. Stroll over to the nearest magazine stand and check out all the body building magazines and the impossible huge male models on the covers. Then check inside at all the advertisments for nutritional supplements promising big results. Imagine how that makes guys feel.

A few months ago I was bought a copy of Scientific American. There was an article inside about a newly discovered disorder call muscle dismorphia.

It could be called the male equivalent of anorexia. Basically, no matter how much a man works out or how muscular he looks, he still thinks of himself as skinny. So he keeps working out until it escalates into steroid abuse usually. Use of legal supplements and illegal steroids has skyrocketed in the past decade.

There's even a male equivalent of Barbie. Authors of the new book The Adonis Complex criticized the G.I. Joe Extreme figure for having unrealistic proportions. (Well, they did call it extreme.)

Recently,researchers studied body image by putting a series of men and women in front of a computer and letting them choose different body types.

When men were asked to choose what kind of body women would like them to have they usually chose one with about 30lbs more muscle, regardless of how big or small they were. Women, on the other hand, were asked to choose what they found attractive in men and they chose a body type only slightly more muscular than average. (Which of course makes me think that most guys would choose a female body type that was close to average rather than being impossibly thin.)

Anyway, my point is that these standards affect everyone, but they don't have much to do with reality. Furthermore, they shouldn't have any affect. It's always amazed me the number of people (especially women) who set such value on looks.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard the phrase "If you'd just lose some weight you could get a boyfriend," from various members of my family.

I've heard it so often that I long ago stopped listening to it. (The consequences of loving your family, is that you have to put with some incredibly dumb things.) But in case you ever mind numbingly stupid remark from them I offer an alternative to simply punching them or threatening their pets.

Just say, "Why would I want to go out with someone so shallow that they would only date if they were skinny enough? Why would I even want to talk to such a cretin?"

Okay, okay, so those magazines bother me a little bit. But this is what online bulletin boards were made for.

Anne
I'm finished now. Really.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoenix
Neophyte
Member # 645

Icon 13 posted      Profile for phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote : "Don't go anywhere looking unkempt....especially the grocery store. But wait a minute, you're thinking. The magazines say that supermodels go to the grocery store without lipstick, so why shouldn't you? Wake up! They're supermodels! They look great without lipstick! "

Hi, while reading this thread and surfing I came across this which I absolutely have to diss because of its implications..by saying that its like models are another race of people and the rest, which the site message is aimed for, are - well - inferior to them, saying we have to rely on make up to look good..
I think that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, and beauty is not about how much someone looks like the accepted standard, it's something that is the whole of you..something that is so much deeper then just magazine looks. It's something that you ARE - inside and out, not just what you look like. That is true beauty.
Just had to say it.
=)

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theglitztiger
Neophyte
Member # 664

Icon 12 posted      Profile for theglitztiger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think tHAT MAGASINES ARE GREAT!
because they can tell you thing girls your age are confronted with .
I dont mind just because It makes it seem like we have to conform doesent mean im going too.I belive that we all need to express our selves the magsines show a lot of stupid beauty tips but do what works fer you

Posts: 27 | From: nj usa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriggyLard
Neophyte
Member # 733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriggyLard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Yes, I would like to say that the media DOES affect people. It kills me all these happily well adjusted people. I feel like CRAP! It is so not cool to hate yourself! It gets so tiring. YES I do want to be pretty and lovely - whatever the dumb standard is. Oscar Wilde said it too true way back in the 1890s "the world belongs to the dolls and darlings"
Pretty gets everything a lot easier, faster and more of it. Anna Kournikova is a good tennis player, sure, but she's a freaking idol because she can "be gorgeous at the same time". Janet Reno hardly gets any respect, more like every chance anyone has to make a wisecrack at her expense. Every single lousy TV program that is supposed to be "reality based" is a cast veritably infiltered with thin, gorgeous, young people. I ask you, how did these people get through law and medical school without a single stress blemish? And so young? Yet, you look at all the teen movies and the kids are all being played by 20+ year olds!!!! There is an impossible standard no matter where you look! I never turn on the TV but it doesn't help, they are still there. Grrr... no I have never written letters. I'm no good at making a point because I end up seeing too many sides to everything and never deciding on one. Besides, I have no ambition and I only have myself to blame ..

Posts: 2 | From: Connetty-cutt. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightAngel
Neophyte
Member # 753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MidnightAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes those magazines really upset me! Whenever I look at all the pretty models in them I just feel like crying because I wish that someday I could look that good but I know I never will. And I think maybe the magazines are at least partially to blame for my always feeling fat and ugly. I wish that they realized how much they hurt a lot of teenage girls.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Here's a thought: growing up, I was in love with dance and ballet. I was actually a very skilled musician from the get-go, but on some level, dance is so lovely to watch, and in addition, when I was very young, my frist dance teacher said I could never be a dancer. She made a point of grabbing my little girl legs, strong from skating and working, and saying my muscles were way too big, no way.

In any evenbt, I still loved to watch, even though I would have given my eyeteeth to meet that dance teacher in a dark alley at some point.

I went to a performance art high school, and when one of my closest friends had her first main part in a professional ballet, I waited for her backstage, so proud and in awe. She took her pointe shoes off and blood poured out of them -- poured. Her feet were ravaged. Turns out she -- like many classical dancers -- went through the whole ballet in absolute pain.

So, there is a point here, really. We can envy someone for something, or wish they we were like them, but the truth is, they aren't much different than we are -- they just hide their pain in different places.

Being insanely beautiful in a way that is in vogue and is perceived by most as absolute beauty isn't anything wonderful either, because if someone in that mold even gains five pounds, gets a zit, gets ill, or has her hair turn green, half the world snickers and points because they have been dying to feel less threatened by that person.

The truth is, when we accept individual and universal beauty -- something far harder to spot and that cannot be placed in a mold -- we do EVERYONE a great favor.

YazzieAlana
Neophyte
Member # 816

Icon 9 posted      Profile for YazzieAlana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how much i know that everyone has imperfections, no matter how attrative i think other people are despite or because of their imperfections, i dont know if ill ever be able to come to terms with my own. Sure, most people i know have cellulite, but in my mind mine looks the worst, and yada yada!
I feel sorry for my boyfriend having to put up with my crying every time he mentions that someone else is half attractive :'( but what can ya do hey!

Posts: 7 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YazzieAlana
Neophyte
Member # 816

Icon 10 posted      Profile for YazzieAlana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just realised that i know a song that would go well with this topic- im going to cut and paste the lyrics . Its a cool song, i recommend a listen , except if u really hate punky rocky type music

"Glossy Books" by Bodyjar

There's nothing that I could say
To make her change the way she thinks
Page one is all she wants to be
It wasn't a phase to her
It wasn't a part of growing up
Don't compare yourself
To some 13 year old who needs help

The girl inside
You tried to hide
Is all you needed to be
It's only looks
You can't compare yourself
To all those glossy books
I know you know what's right
You need to see
The reason why you can't pretend

You'll never be satisfied
You'll never be quite the way you want
Don't try to hide it
Of course you're so pretty now
As you did everything they said to do
You can be happy now
You're beautiful and beautifully dead
And time unfolds the reason
They don't come
And life reveals the season
They don't come
Time unfolds the reason

The girl inside
You tried to hide
Is all you needed to be
It's only looks
You can't compare yourself
To all those glossy books

Time heals sometimes
Time heals sometimes
Then you know what's right

Posts: 7 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to hate those mags too and totally hated how I looked i had the lowest self esteem and of course it was in grade 9 when I really wanted a bf and more friends but because of how i felt none of that really happened. Well then after two years (grades 10 and 11) of slow chance I could care less of how those chicks on mags look like cause i'm totally conceited now I think I'm the best thing since sliced bread... Know what brought on this change its sounds silly but it was a haircut.
it started the change of how I felt because I realized with that haircut that if you don't like how you look now yuo can always do something to change it to a way you do like.
and once I liked how I looked others noticed my better attuide on life and liked me more. So those models are normal ppl to and also I always remember that they get their rags, have fights with their sig other, and hate their looks too sometimes but come on who doesn't do that. They are just people who got a lucky break with a good job.
Learn to love yourself and then you won't care what they look like cause you know you got all the love you need, the love from yourself which is millions better than the famousness that they got.
theres my input

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*

Love ya wheelbarrow & wheelbarrows full

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BROADWAY_BABY
Neophyte
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BROADWAY_BABY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Beppie is right. Lots of girls do try to live up to those Standards. Even me. They do make me feel bad about myself and depressed at times but then i think all the great things I have accomplished though out my life just by being me and that makes me happy for being my self!

------------------
Don't hate me becaue i'm beautiful...hate me becuz your b/f thinks i am.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's better to be pissed then to be pissed on.
Love's a sensation caused by temptation...a guy sticks his location in a gurlz destination...to increase population...ofthe next generation...do you understand my explanation? Or do you need a
demonstration?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in the words of Courtney Love...if you treat a woman like a dog she'll piss on you!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Posts: 25 | From: in my own little world where my Imagination lives. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aleox
Activist
Member # 145

Icon 5 posted      Profile for aleox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It annoys me cos in England (it might not be the same in the u.s) boys magazines have half nakes women all over them. All very pretty/slim/look half drugged.

Yet girls magazines don't have half nakes men in them, yet again they're pretty/slim/look hald drugged woman. When I asked my b/f about what's the turn on about girls looking like they're on something and he said that guys like the dazed/drugged out look on girls as it looks sexy. Is this the kind of image we want to give out? Not only is it promoting weight loss etc. but drug taking. I think they're should be bigger models, and people with braces and glasses. Only once I have seen a model showing her braces, I've never seen someone wearing glasses (proper ones-not sunglasses)
As a glasses wearer I find this uncomfortable, fashion says glasses are in fashion, then why do models and famous people wear contacts. Do you think girls who wear glasses are un-attractive??

------------------
Love can't be explained...it's just sitting there looking smiley!

Posts: 109 | From: Birmingham, West Midlands, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I'm very envious of the girls in the magazines. I used to belive I was extremely fat, ugly, etc(I am 60lbs overweight, but a lot of it is muscle). My friends are extremely supportive. I never have had a boyfriend, or anything. That didn't help me with my image. Then I met a really nice guy, and with his help and my friends, I was able to rebuild my self esteem. No one really knew about this, as I am in drama and I hide my feelings very well.
Either way, if the magazines choose to use models that look like the actual population, instead of barbies, it would be a lot better. In my opinion, atleast

------------------
Draw closer if you dare, feel the wind of the massive wings, the heat of flaming breath, the steel stare of fiery eyes... and let your dreams take flight...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mentalxashtray
Activist
Member # 416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mentalxashtray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those people who say "I could be prettier. But I don't want to look like that." Though I'm not gorgeous, I'm fine with the way I look. I like my hot pink + black hair. I don't care about my faint zits. I'm not bony, thank god. I'm only a b cup. I have bitten down, un-kept nails. My hands are creased from working. Big, exotic brown eyes, thick lashes, that don't fit right with a basic Irish face. But guess what? I don't give. I'm fine with who I am, because I'm not here to fit society's god damn mold.

------------------
"So what do we do now?"
"We go forward."
"Together?"
"Always."

[This message has been edited by mentalxashtray (edited August 13, 2000).]

Posts: 62 | From: Here. I assume.. that you're there. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aleox, just to let you know, i wear glasses often, mostly when im at home, but when i wear them going out, i still get lots of looks and comments from guys. so yes, guys do make passes at girls with glasses. about the topic...i dont really know what to say. i guess that magazines/companies want the models in their magazines/adds to look flawless and beautiful. maybe to sell, or atract. i dunno, how they look makes no diffrence to me!
Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet Tart
Neophyte
Member # 1013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Tart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I...10 minutes ago...before I read this thread...was Magazine obsessed. I am quite blessed..I am particularly pretty...It mite sound concited...but i am. I am a dancer so I am in good shape. I was blessed with great genes..and a great a*s to fill them with but..the girls in magazines are fake...I was talkin with my G-D brother the other day about how cindy margolis...(the most downloaded woman on the internet) is probably not a real person...computer generated...and he agreed. I am throwing out all my magaines. I don't care about a beauty standard...I think I am beautiful and who is anyone else to judge that ? Join me...don't read magazines...glance at the grocery store and say wow..."look at that lighting used on her face...it does wonders doesnt it?" Media sucks...media controlls everything and i use to wanna be one of those girls until someone told me all the things we are hearing. The media controlls our image of pretty and ugly and smart and funny and the music we listen to and the tv shows we watch and the products we buy and we have NO control. its like the media mafia...wow. terrible thing. I am throwing out ALL my old magazines...

------------------
Diamonds are nice and so are toys but there's nothing like them VARSITY boys...

Posts: 5 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.