Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » The Withdrawl Method + Chance of Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Withdrawl Method + Chance of Pregnancy
samty95
Neophyte
Member # 110627

Icon 11 posted      Profile for samty95     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I briefly had sex without a condom... Stupid I know.
I have a period that lasts 7 days, and my cycle is generally 28 days. The my last period started the 21st of June, ended the 27th. He and I had sex on the 8th of July.
Before we actually engaged in sex, he used the bathroom (i'm not sure if that makes a difference, something about the acidity of urine clearing out any sperm in the pre-cum). We only had sex for a minute or so, but then we stopped due to lack of the condom. He pulled out and didn't come. And then we just messed around for the remainder of the time. No genital touching after that!

I know I should've used a condom, but he said he had never used one with his previous girlfriend, they had sex multiple times, and nothing bad ever happened. He can never come/ejaculate during sex. I don't think I can do that, so we're both trying to get used to condoms.

Anyways, I don't think I was ovulating when we had sex, my discharge was white and creamy, but two days later (July 10th) it's clear and stringy (which I think means ovulation). I am cramping only slightly, but it might've from when we messed around (he fingered me roughly, and i had a extremely tiny dot of blood, consensual though).

I'm not taking birth control or anything like that, and I didn't have access to the morning after pill. I have a HPT ready to go in case I miss my period, but I'm feeling extremely paranoid, and it's the only thing that's on my
mind. How likely is it that I did get pregnant?

[ 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: samty95 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, Samty.

When used correctly, that is, when the partner pulls out well before ejaculation, the effectiveness rate of withdrawal is around 96%. So, since your partner did not ejaculate at all, that's the figure you're looking at.

Unless you've been charting your basal temperature and cervical mucus for a while, it's unlikely that you can accurately tell when you're ovulating, so I'd leave that aside in figuring out your risk.

Since the risk is fairly low and it has already been a few days since, I'd not recommend EC at this point, anyway, as it would not add anything in terms of protection.

Please be aware that unprotected sex also poses STI risks, so if you two aren't up to date with your testint, that's something you want to get caught up on.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samty95
Neophyte
Member # 110627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samty95     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks September. Though I am a little afraid I could be part of that 4%, you've considerably eased my worries. If you didn't answer, I probably would've been a ball of stress until the date of my period, which is in a while. Now I can be calm.

I'm pretty sure he and I are both STI free, but I'll discuss it with him, and possibly schedule an appointment with my doctor.

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.