Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » I Might Be Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Might Be Pregnant?
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me & my boyfriend have been having unprotected sex for about the past week. We're planning to get on birth control but that hasn't happened yet. It will in about another week. But I'm very afraid that I'm pregnant. I don't know if I should wait until I get my period which should be on the 23 or take a pregnancy test before then.

My parents aren't very good on teens getting pregnant and I believe that if you want an abortion you must have both of your parents agree on it. And if I am pregnant I wouldn't want them to know. I know what I did was stupid and it won't happen again. I'll wait until I get on birth control. I'm just afraid of what will happen. I don't think my parents will understand

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've had unprotected sex within the last 120 hours, you have the option of taking emergency contraception, which would reduce the risk of you becoming pregnant. It's more effective the sooner you take it. Is that something you want to do, and if so, do you know how to access it?

For any risks before then, the only things you can do now are to not take any more risks and to wait for your period. For risks within the past week or so, you would need to wait until your period is due before a pregnancy test would be accurate.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1736 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It hasn't been that long, the past week I think I have been spotting or it may not be spotting at all. I don't know what it is but there is spots of blood.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not clear from your answer whether or not emergency contraception is something you're interested in - you may still have time to take it to lower your most recent risk. Other than that, as Redskies said, the only thing you can do is wait for your period, or until it's been long enough to test.

Spotting can happen for many reasons. If it continues, the best thing you can do is check in with a healthcare provider about it.

I also want to check in with you about how confident you feel when it comes to setting a boundary (like no more intercourse until you've got a reliable method of birth control) and sticking to it. You don't want to become pregnant, so what is it that's getting in the way of you keeping that limit with yourself?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5752 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

I don't know if the time is still there to take the ec

I'm pretty confident with it. I'm just very afraid about getting pregnant. Like even though we did the pull out method, I'm just afraid that it make not be effective.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EC can be taken up 120 hours after a risk.

So, since it sounds like you do not want to risk being pregnant, you feel comfortable holding the "no sex until birth control" boundary?

And, if you truly, really, cannot risk getting pregnant at all? Then genital to genital intercourse is something that might not be on the table even after you get your birth control. So you two may want to discuss what activities you're comfortable with that don't pose any risk of pregnancy.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

I thought it could only be taken after 3 days

Yes I do

I'm willing to risk it but I want to do what I can to make the chances of me getting pregnant slimmer

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EC can be taken up to 120 hours (about 5 days) after a risk. It's most effective when taken within 24 hours, and the longer you wait, the less effective it is, but it does still have a good chance of preventing pregnancy within that 120 hour window.

If you want to reduce your risk of pregnancy as much as possible from now until you get prescribed birth control, condoms are always an option. Is using condoms not a possibility for you?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5752 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

I could try to get ec

I think I'll just not have intercourse until I get on birth control.

But, let's say I am pregnant, what can I do?

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is still less than 5 days since your most recent risk, we would recommend taking EC, as that lowers the chance of you becoming pregnant. Ultimately, it's your choice.

If you want to take EC, do you know how to get it?

We find that it's useful to talk with people about realities and not "what ifs". Someone who is pregnant can choose to remain pregnant and parent, remain pregnant and choose adoption, or terminate the pregnancy. After someone has a positive pregnancy test, we're happy to talk with them about any and all of those options, help them decide which of those options they want and how to access what they need.

You're still in the time when you may be able to prevent pregnancy in the first place by taking EC, so let's focus on that, ok?

Condoms are a method of birth control, and they're usually very accessible. I know we've suggested them to you before, and I notice you haven't really responded. Can I ask why you don't seem very interested in them? Of course, using condoms or not is your choice, I just want to make sure we're not missing anything that would help you.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1736 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Ok and yes I know how and where to get EC

I'm not interested in condoms for the most part

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Can I ask why you're mostly not interested in condoms? (We have no wish to push something that someone doesn't want! It's just that we know that some areas give people wrong information about condoms, and I just want to make sure you're starting from the right information.)

--------------------

Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

The feeling of condoms make me uncomfortable.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Ok. Again, it is up to you, but we do recommend using condoms both to lower the risk of STI transmission and when someone's said, like you have, that you really don't want to become pregnant.

Sometimes people need to try out different brands to find what feels good to them. Often, too, condoms don't feel good if you don't use any extra lubrication with them. Using a condom increases the amount of friction during intercourse, and without any extra lubrication, many people do find that it's too much friction and uncomfortable, and they don't like the feel of it. Using some lube too often solves that problem like magic [Smile]

--------------------

Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

I could try that, thank you.
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Earlier you said that spotting can be of different reasons, what other reasons can cause spotting?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alice. Spotting can sometimes just be part of the menstrual cycle -- if it's being irregular, or at the very beginning of your period. Sometimes, if there wasn't enough lubrication used or sex was a little too rough or someone had a sharp nail or whatnot, there can be slight tears in the vaginal wall which can cause a little bit of bleeding that looks like spotting. Some STIs can cause spotting or blood in discharge. Also, although far less commonly, spotting can be the result of some kind of underlying medical condition. So, if your spotting continues, you can talk to a healthcare provider about it to check in that everything is okay.
Posts: 1305 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

That sounds like the tears could be the reason why.

I'm also wondering if it's my period or something because this morning when I went to the restroom there was something like period blood in the toilet bowl. I thought it was my period so I put on a pad but as the day progressed there wasn't anymore blood in the toilet bowl but only on the pad like spotting. This is making me very confused.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's really nothing else we can offer here beyond a suggestion that you check in with a healthcare provider if you do not want to wait this out, and that moving forward, if you do not want to take the risks associated with unprotected sex, you stop having sex unprotected.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.