Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Periods and Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Periods and Pregnancy
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheNotMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I am a 21 year old guy and I am ashamed to say that I have never had sex ed.
A while ago, I was scared because I had dry humping with my girlfriend, with both of us wearing 2 sets of clothes (4 in total); I was wearing underwear AND sports shorts, and she was wearing underwear AND tights, and I ejaculated (but I moved away after a second).

I looked at all the pre-reading that needs to be done here, in the articles and everything, I even asked real doctors, mature mothers and biology B.Sc. students, and they all, and I mean ALL, assured me that the chances of pregnancy are almost, almost zero, as in very, very, very, very un-probable, considering that I also moved away and IF any sperm bursted through, it would have bene only one burst at max.

Then, she had her period, normal period symptoms, on time, same length, and as usual as always.

However, I've been reading online that some women actually do get their regular periods while they are pregnant, and that came to scare me again. I've seen (online) many women testify that they had their periods, but I do not know if I should believe that. I've asked doctors again, and they said that what these women had are only vaginal bleeding and they mistaken it for periods.

I should mention that I told her about this, and she laughed and did not buy it that these women actually had periods.

So, what is the story behind Periods during Pregnancy? Should I be worried? And please note that I -HAVE- done the pre-reading you stated we should read about dry humping and all, but I wanted to ask this specific question as I did not see it before.

Thank you.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a very great deal on the internet to do with sexuality and reproduction that is not credible or reliable. So, you'll want to learn to get really selective about what you read and believe. We have a piece on that: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online

Someone who is pregnant will not have periods. A period happens specifically because the person did not become pregnant in that menstrual cycle. On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation has a lot more detail on that.

Random bleeding can happen during pregnancy, but it is very unlikely to seem like a person's usual period and to happen when they would expect their period.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheNotMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand.
So, mixing these facts, and the fact that I told her about this "bleeding", and she is very, very certain it is her period, pregnancy is -very- unlikely, true?

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People with periods really do know what their periods are like, feel like, and when they're having them. There are exceptions, but the vast majority of the time, we know. Just like say, you know when you're peeing, when you're hungry, or when you're not feeling well, if you follow.

Media exploitation of people's ignorance for profit, or people's half-truths on the internet? Not reliable. Someone telling you they know they're having their period? Reliable.

Especially since for however scared you are about a possible pregnancy, you can always rest assured the actual person who would BE pregnant is WAY more scared (even when a pregnancy is wanted!). If they're relaxed about not being pregnant, it's almost always because they know they're not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Makes great sense, Heather.
Thank you!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

I should also mention, that she told me she wears also pantyliner daily. It is a -very- effective blocker, correct?
This sums up to: my underwear, my sports shorts, her tights, underwear and pantyliner. And to remind, she had her period. No reason to be scared here, correct?

[ 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: TheNotMe ]

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about taking a look at this? The answer to your question is right there. [Smile]

Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

I've read it, and read the other articles you often link to.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, after the information you read what do you think the answer would be about a pregnancy risk when people are still clothed? [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

None. Still wanted to confirm, though.
It is called Phobia. I've talked to you guys, read all your articles, talked to planned parenthood, doctors, mature mothers, biologists, all whom have told me there is no chance. Still, phobia catches on.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When that's the case, then, really all you can do is seek out professional help for dealing with phobias and anxiety. We can provide facts about pregnancy risks and how pregnancy can happens, but what we can't do is help with mental health issues.

So, since you know that's the case with your situation, seeking out that help from a qualified counselor, therapist, or other mental healthcare professional is your next step.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

I agree.
Thank you all for the generous help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.