Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Pregnancy Scared! Need Reassurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Scared! Need Reassurance
julesluvsbecks
Neophyte
Member # 107434

Icon 11 posted      Profile for julesluvsbecks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again!
So I'm having a bit of a pregnancy scare, and yes, I have read all of the "required reading" [Wink] pertaining to the topic here. Still, I like to tell my own personal situation and I would like a little reassurance to help calm my nerves!
So I last had my period 5 weeks ago, but my period is extremely irregular (after a long bout of BC, have only had a few sparse periods since).
Had intercourse a few times over the span of a week/two weeks ago, and all incidents were exactly the same in that:

*We used a condom
*My boyfriend did not ejaculate or come even close to ejaculating, however precum was present inside the condom
*The condom likely slipped up a bit (although apparently this doesn't change much?)

Now, I am feeling a lot of breast tenderness even without touching them, they have swollen (both of these symptoms are typical to my PMS) and my nipples are very sensitive. I had a feeling my period is coming soon, but it only occurred to me tonight that these could possibly be pregnancy symptoms!

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

--------------------
♥previously jaebaby- after multiple posts in the pregnancy scare boards, the name finally began to look twisted to me♥

Posts: 16 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you used two methods of contraception: condom and withdrawal. Together and used correctly, they give you a very high level of protection from pregnancy: as you can see in The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
, they're 99.92% effective with perfect use, 95.95% effective with typical use - and that's over a whole year. So, pregnancy is unlikely.

Breast tenderness or sensitivity is a thing that some people get sometimes, particularly before a period - and you know yourself that it's typical for your PMS [Smile] It's very unlikely that anyone would feel symptoms like that because of a pregnancy so very early - when the process of creating a pregnancy would barely have had time to complete, even. Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul should help you out more with that.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julesluvsbecks
Neophyte
Member # 107434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julesluvsbecks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, I hadn't even considered that it could be too early to feel strong symptoms like that, that helps quite a bit! Also, knowing that much less than one woman per year gets pregnant using the 'method' we used (my boyfriend is going to be happy about his ejaculation anxiety, for once...)helps as well. I guess I just can't help feeling like I could be that one special outlier here, so I'm going to take a pregnancy test, but- when's the soonest I can take it that it would be most effective?

--------------------
♥previously jaebaby- after multiple posts in the pregnancy scare boards, the name finally began to look twisted to me♥

Posts: 16 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jaebaby,

Glad that the info was help [Smile] I think taking a pregnancy test is a sound decision, if for no other reason than it will help stifle the "what if" voice. This article is a good guide on using pregnancy tests. The most important thing to keep in mind is to follow the directions for the specific test you buy (including how long after the incident to test):
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

If the test comes back negative but still doesn't help shake the "what if" feeling completely, you can also check out this article:
You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julesluvsbecks
Neophyte
Member # 107434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julesluvsbecks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I had been confused about it from other sites, talking about dates of missed periods and conception and different things. I'm actually going on a family vacation starting the day the test would be effective, which is lovely... I'll take one the day I get back. Thanks very much for both of your help, it has been much appreciated!

--------------------

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome [Smile]
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.