Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Chronic anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic anxiety
sandywall
Neophyte
Member # 110570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandywall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 20 year old woman who has recently started having an active sex life. My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship, and despite the downsides it's really given me a lot of space to re-evaluate what I want of a relationship.

That being said, I think I have an anxiety disorder. I'm constantly worried about the smallest things and I also think I'm a hypochondriac. My sister was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and I keep thinking that I have it despite the immensely small odds that I do.

The exact same thing is happening with sex. My boyfriend visited me a few months ago, and despite the fact that I've had multiple periods (I'm actually on my period right now) and taken multiple pregnancy tests and they all came out negative, I'm still worried about pregnancy. We had "safe" sex: he wore a condom at all times and pulled out. The odds of pregnancy are as close to 0 as you can get without having sex, I've done the math multiple times and I'VE HAD MY PERIOD.

My period has been lighter than usual for some reason and I keep flipping my crap over it. I mean, I've taken several home pregnancy tests month after month and they've all come back negative and I'm STILL flipping out.

I honestly don't know how to do deal with this anxiety. I need help, and I'm aware of it, but I can't afford therapy right now. Do you guys have any resources available?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, help with anxiety disorders is something we get from mental health professionals. If you do not have insurance or public health that covers that kind of healthcare, have you started by checking in to see what kinds of sliding-scale or free help may be available to those in your community without healthcare in general, or without mental health coverage?

Too, you can help yourself in the meantime by choosing not to do things you have found out trigger your anxiety until you get that care.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.