Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Can HPTs be inaccurate even if done correctly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can HPTs be inaccurate even if done correctly
jamesbuccaneer
Neophyte
Member # 110346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamesbuccaneer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trans and I've been on testosterone for several years so I no longer have a regular menstrual cycle, but I also haven't experienced total lack of menstruation (as in I'll have very minor bleeding a few days every few months, or a full-blown period once a year - my endocrinologist already knows about this), so I think it's probably still a possibility, even if it's a really small one, that I could get pregnant (or at least that I might ovulate), and I can't rely on missing a period as an early indication of pregnancy because I no longer have a period. I haven't had penetrative sex, but I may have gotten semen around my genitals (by someone's hand), and right after that I also had a period for the first time in six or seven months, and then about a month later I had another ambiguous period-like thing for about a week (it wasn't like a normal period, but it was also more than spotting, which has happened to me before, but I'm still not sure how to interpret it).

From reading this site/these forums, I know that indirect transfer of semen (from penis to hand to genitals) is unlikely to result in pregnancy, and I have done several home pregnancy tests at different times (in case I did them incorrectly or too early, which are apparently the biggest reasons for false negatives), and they all were negative, the last one taken about eight and a half weeks after having sex.

I know this should be taken as definitely proving that I'm not pregnant, but I have an anxiety disorder and I'm terrified of being pregnant so I need to be sure. I'm worried that it's possible that pregnancy could happen but leave a really low concentration of hCG in someone's urine so that home pregnancy tests wouldn't work, or that testosterone might interfere with the pregnancy test working for some reason.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi james,

So, in terms of the pregnancy tests, the testosterone should not interfere with the results. So, you can assume the negative results of the tests you took correctly are accurate.

Beyond that, the only time manual sex poses a risk is if someone ejaculates on a hand and then immediately and deliberately rubs that hand on the vulva or inserts it into the vagina. If that's not what happened in your case, then there was not a risk.

If you're dealing with anxiety disorder, I do want to ask if you're seeking treatment for it. And, if you're finding that your anxiety is really linked to your pregnancy fears, you may want to scale any sexual behavior back to a level where you feel more comfortable.

[ 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There just hasn't been a lot of research on whether it's possible for trans guys who haven't had hysterectomies to become pregnant without stopping testosterone. I know some guys who have been pregnant or are planning on it soon, but that involves coming off of T for a good while before and during pregnancy.

I asked my doctor about this before I had a hysto (when I had been on T for several years) and his answer was "I can't say it's completely impossible, so I suggest you use condoms" but he didn't seem to think it was likely at all and was mostly concerned about condoms from an STI transmission standpoint. I've tried to find more information on this but that's what most people seem to say - no one wants to say it's impossible, but the chances even if you did have a valid pregnancy risk would be very low.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesbuccaneer
Neophyte
Member # 110346

If any semen had gotten on or around my genitals it would have been extremely indirect, and I can't be positive that it even happened. My boyfriend was sleeping over and it happened in the middle of the night. I was fully awake when it happened so it wasn't at all coerced, but my memory of things I do right before falling asleep isn't great so I couldn't remember exactly what happened the next morning. But I'm not interested in direct genital contact so the closest it would have gotten deliberately is my anus, and almost definitely not immediately.

After that, when I got really anxious, we scaled back sexual activity. I have in the past seen someone for anxiety but while I've been at school (I'm a college student) I haven't because I tried to see someone through the school, which is the only thing my insurance covers, but I tried several different people and they were all terrible about trans stuff and after I asked around no one knew if any of the other school therapists were any better so I stopped trying.

I thought I had gotten past my anxiety about this event specifically but I made the mistake of looking at several of the pregnancy tests I'd done after the ten minute limit and several of them developed lines which weren't as full or bright as the control line but still had color (specifically they were blue tests). I know that pregnancy tests are only meant to be read in a very short time frame, but I also made the mistake of looking at less reputable sites' information on evaporation lines, and many of them listed evaporation lines as always being colorless, so my anxiety made me worried that I had just done the test wrong and it really was a positive.

[ 05-15-2014, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: jamesbuccaneer ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not describing anything that has a remotely realistic chance of pregnancy, if that helps at all.

Anxiety does tend to come back and make people do things they Know are not actually helpful - it's a pest like that. Just to back up your sensible brain, old pregnancy tests really are useless and meaningless. They're a bit like old, manky, mouldy food - they no longer have any resemblance to the thing it originally was, and it's changed state so much that there's no way you'd consider using it for its original purpose, no matter how good it once was [Smile] For the future, one way of taking care of yourself is probably to stay away from any inaccurate or fear-mongering internet sites, and get rid of any used pregnancy tests somewhere you can't look at them again.

I'm sorry to hear the therapists available to you so far were so very poor. If you'd like suggestions or help finding someone worthwhile, I reckon some of my colleagues who are more familiar with things in North America (I think you're using North American English?) than I would be more than happy to help.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesbuccaneer
Neophyte
Member # 110346

It does help some. Reading about the relative fragility of sperm also helped, in that my boyfriend didn't even ejaculate directly onto his hands such that if any semen had gotten where it would need to be to cause pregnancy, it would have had to go from his stomach to his hand, and then from his hand to my anus and then somehow from there to the genitals (and I was wearing underwear at the time, but there was hand-anus contact beneath them at at least one point and I couldn't remember if there was again after ejaculation - I know either way there's really no risk, but I didn't know that before the evening in question so I became anxious about it and now I can't stop being anxious).

I think part of the problem is that I keep imagining the worst possible situation and illogically letting myself think it's not only possible but extremely likely, and also that without periods, the early signs of pregnancy according to most websites are things that can also just be signs of being alive, and it's easy to assume the worst because I can't look inside my organs and identify their contents, so it's POSSIBLE that I've forgotten semen getting somewhere I don't want it and it's POSSIBLE that I did all the pregnancy tests incorrectly and it's POSSIBLE that a lot of things which I know, logically, aren't the case. It's just hard to convince myself, especially because there is no difference in feeling to me between "low risk" and "high risk," any risk at all feels like a guarantee.

[ 05-17-2014, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: jamesbuccaneer ]

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are sympathetic to your situation, but we're also needing to hold some very strong boundaries around pregnancy scare questions: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/54/t/000465.html

We can't and won't continue a discussion with you about the pregnancy fears themselves. You would be very welcome to start another thread to discuss finding suitable help for the anxiety that seems to be at the root of this, or to discuss any other issue connected to sex or relationships, and we would be very happy to have those conversations with you.

[ 05-17-2014, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.