Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » worth it to take EC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worth it to take EC?
inky
Neophyte
Member # 110305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on birth control for about 2 years for cramps. I was never great about taking it b/c I didn't need it for the contraception- I missed a couple pills here and there, took them late, etc. I became sexually active about a week ago (specifically, without a condom last night). In preparation for that, I really began making sure I was taking it at the exact same time every day without missing a pill for about two weeks now. I honestly don't remember how well I did at the beginning of the month, though. Is it worth it to take EC for the peace of mind, or should I be okay?

[ 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: inky ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really is one of those things where it's going to be up to you, especially since if you do not know how well you took your pills, we really can't have any idea.

EC, however, a week later, is not at all likely to be effective. EC is most effective within the first 24 hours of a risk, then tapers down in effectiveness until about five days later, when it's not likely to do jack.

Your pill is also more effective than EC, so long as you take it properly, so moving forward, you'll want to keep up with changing your habits there, and since you know that may take a while, it'd be a very good idea to back up with condoms. That's particularly important with new partners, where STI risks tend to be higher, as the pill -- and EC -- offer no protection against sexually transmitted infections.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inky
Neophyte
Member # 110305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the reply! An update: I decided it was not worth it to take EC. I took a pregnancy test today, 23 days past the risk, and it was negative (Clearblue recommends 19 days). I have stopped getting periods since taking BC, and the risk took place during the placebo week, so I'm not sure whether that counts as a "missed" period. Should I retest in a week when my next period is due (placebo week), or can I be confident of the first results? I have most certainly learned my lesson about taking pills on time after this scare!
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not count that as missed, no, though I would check in about those missing withdrawal bleeds with your prescribing doc next time you're in. If someone is skipping the placebo weeks and suppressing, that is to be expected, but those stopping altogether when you are still having a placebo week would be, IMO, something to check into to be sure all is well with your body.

But either way, you got the results you did, well after the risk, so unless you want to retest, or start experiencing some changes to your body soon you can't make sense of, I don't see a need to retest, no.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.