Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Pregnancy Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Test
Lauren057
Neophyte
Member # 85016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I was wondering when should I take a pregnancy test if I am concerned about pregnancy risk. I am sexually active and am not on any hormonal contraceptives, though my partner and I use condoms for ALL intercourse, and I am now about half a week late for my period. I have had my period for about 8 years (turning 21 this year)and have been keeping close track of it for almost a year and am usually very very regular, so for me to be this late is unusual. I'm wondering how long I should be waiting before I go ahead and take a test. I have discussed with my partner (before we got sexually involved) that a pregnancy is not something I'm able to handle at this point in my life, so if I am pregnant, I need to keep things moving at a reasonable rate as I will be terminating.

--------------------
Lauren :)

Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a great page that gives you all the info there is on pregnancy tests right here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren057
Neophyte
Member # 85016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick response Heather [Smile]
I should add, I know accessing abortion clinics can be sticky in the US, fortunately I am in Canada and my student health plan covers this.

--------------------

Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to help.

And by all means, if you are in fact pregnant, and need any information about abortion or help accessing it, just let us know, we're glad to help with either. That's fantastic that your student health plan covers termination (so fantastic!), but still glad to help answer any questions if you have them. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren057
Neophyte
Member # 85016

Of course [Smile] Right now I don't have any questions I can think of, as this is something I talked about with my Doctor when we decided it might be best for me to discontinue hormonal methods of birth control due to some pretty severe side effects, so I have had a 'game plan' if I ever did become pregnant set up for a while now.
Which, by the way any readers, I TOTALLY recommend doing, since it makes looking at potential pregnancy a WHOLE lot less scary.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

That's really great, and wonderful your doctor also made time for that conversation with you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Lauren057
Neophyte
Member # 85016

Hello, just an update, false alarm, I am in fact, not pregnant and got my period this weekend.
Thank you so much for your help, and I think I have decided to just go out and buy a cheap test and keep it in my drawer, so that in even I am late again I can just take it and de-escalate myself before I get to the point where I am loosing sleep over 'oh no what if I am pregnant, the world will end etc'

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.