Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Condom rolled up? HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom rolled up? HELP!
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Isabela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... I'm 18 years old and I had sex with a friend. He wore a lubricated condom the whole time and didn't cum at any point. The condom hadn't broken. The thing is: By my own tracking of days, I was supposed to be fertile, because it was the 14th day after I got my period (I don't know if my cycle is regular or not, my period varies up to 5 days every month)and his penis was very thick, which made the condom roll up about 1/3 of its lenght. He kept pulling it out and rolling the condom down, but maybe he needed a bigger sized one. Afterwards, we stopped before he ejaculated.
I'm paranoid and scared to death of being pregnant. I am supposed to get my period in about 10 days and I my breasts are a bit swollen.
I'm scared some pre cum could have slipped off the bottom of the condom when it kept rolling up with the motion! Can I be pregnant?

Posts: 13 | From: Brazil | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Isabela, welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile]

The only way to know if someone is pregnant or not is by taking a pregnancy tests. Tests can be taken and are accurate after 14 days of the risk.

If the condom didn't come off completely then you can know it did its work. If he didn't ejaculate then you used withdrawal as well. Moving forward the best thing to do is to try other brand or size so this won't happen again.

I don't know how are you charting your cycles but I'm going to leave you a couple of articles that might be helpful. [Smile]

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/get_with_the_flow_all_about_fam

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2013/12/03/lets_dial_down_some_maybe_ovulation_freakouts

[ 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isabela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply! It was very quick and useful. I love this forum, saved me from being up all night worried many times. It's nice to know there is a reliable source of sexual information I can access this easily. Keep up with the awesome work!

I'm charting it by simply counting the days, which may not be that accurate... I'm not sure if I was fertile, but I can say I was mid cycle.

Just to see if I got it right... you're saying that my condom use can be classified as perfect use? Am I in the 98% safe zone?
Are you saying that it doesn't matter how much it rolls up, if it doesn't fall off from the tip, then it's fine and the condom worked as it was supposed to work?

Also, he kept complaining that the condom was too tight on his shaft... I don't know if I'm wrong, but it seems like it would be harder for the pre cum to slip off.

What are my odds?

Posts: 13 | From: Brazil | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To correctly chart your cycles you need to keep track of your cervical mucus and basal temperature for a couple of months. In the article "Get with the flow: All about FAM" you can have all the info you need to start. [Smile]

I cannot tell you "what are your odds" because I was not there. As I already said, I think trying a different brand or size is wise just to avoid the rolling of the condom. Here is an article that can help you out with the best use of condoms:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexual_health/condom_basics_a_users_manual [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isabela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ok. Thanks.
But I would really like to know:
"Just to see if I got it right... you're saying that my condom use can be classified as perfect use? Am I in the 98% safe zone?
Are you saying that it doesn't matter how much it rolls up, if it doesn't fall off from the tip, then it's fine and the condom worked as it was supposed to work?"

I can't understand perfect condom use and typical condom use [Frown]
What if it rolls up? Does something can swim to my uterus?

[ 02-20-2014, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Isabela ]

Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Plus... can the swollen breasts be a sign of PMS? I'm supposed to get my period in 10 days or something
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect use of a method means laboratory-perfect: doing everything exactly right, in controlled conditions, in a laboratory.

Typical use means as people typically use the method. With condoms, for example, typical use includes possibilities like only putting the condom on part way through, putting it on wrongly, and not using one at all. All those things are things that people typically do occasionally when they're meaning to use condoms as a method of contraception.

For a method like condoms where how you use them makes them more or less effective, it isn't possible to be exactly a perfect user, because those are laboratory conditions. However, if you're storing and putting them on correctly, using them every single time and for all genital contact, you'll be much closer to perfect use than to typical use [Smile]

Usage rates - those percentage figures - are measured over a whole year of using a method, not just for one occasion. So, for 100 couples in typical use of condoms, 14 couples will become pregnant in a year.

If a condom rolls up a little but is still on the penis, it will still keep any and all fluid inside it and protect you from pregnancy. Condoms are designed to hold any fluid in the tip.

For one use of a condom, you judge how effective it was by observation. If the condom was on for all genital contact and did not break, you can assume you were protected from pregnancy. That isn't something anyone can ever be totally, 100% certain about, though. It sounds as if you don't feel secure enough with the very low risk of pregnancy that you have with correct condom usage. For the future, what do you think is best for you? Using a second method with condoms makes the risk of pregnancy very, very small, or if you aren't comfortable with even that, you can choose not to have the kinds of sex that can cause pregnancy. Would you like to talk about either of those options with us?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Right! I assume I will be fine, I will just wait for my period and if it doesn't come in time, I'll take a HPT.

I'm a naturally insecure person, and I regreted having sex with this friend for personal reasons. I've just gotten single from a 1 and a half year relatonship and with my ex, I never had pregnancy scares nor condom problems. I would love to get on the pill, but although I'm 18, my parents are very very conservative and we don't have open talks (I never had sex education neither they talked to me about sex, ever). They would freak out if they found my pills. I'm considering going to a doctor and getting a prescription for the shot.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not feeling ok about some kind of sex is one of the things we know can drive pregnancy fears.

Pretty much everyone does some things or makes some decisions that we realise later weren't right for us after all. Just by its nature, it's likely to feel uncomfortable for a while. The best thing we can do is add it to our bowl of knowledge about ourselves and use it to make different decisions in the future. If you'd like to talk about how to identify or act on what's best for you in your own sexual life and sexuality, we're happy to do that with you.

There are a number of contraception methods that are fairly private, including the shot. Do you have enough information already, or would you like links to our pages?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

What other contraception methods can I take without my parents knowing it? Vaginal rings? They're pretty hard to find in brazilian's drugstores, but I'm considering them too.

Yeah, I would like to talk about what happened. My boyfriend of 1 and a half year broke up with me out of nothing and it's been really, really hard for me to accept it and move on. I went to this friend's house to talk about my break up and to have a shoulder to cry on... and it happened. It was his first time and we've been friends since we were 12. To be honest, it sucked. I feel like I only did it to forget my ex and feel happy again... I used sex as a escape from all the pain and rejection. I wanted to improve my self esteem and feel desired again. I was very impulsive and a little immature, but at the time it was what I felt like doing... you know, hormones...

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Isabela,

There are a number of BC options that are fairly discreet. If you haven't, I would give BC Bingo a go and see what it sounds good to you: Birth Control Bingo!.

It is good to keep in mind that, even if we don't want our parents to find out that we're sexually active, there is no way to guarantee that they won't (especially if we're living under the same roof). So, that might be a consideration you want to make when considering how sexually active to be in the near future. However, you are 18, which means that you should be able to access BC without their consent.

That sounds like a very difficult relationship situation to be in. I think, when we're feeling low, the desire to seek affirmation from someone else (especially in a sexual way) does increase. So, like Redskies said, accepting you made a decision that made you unhappy is a good thing to do, but it will be more productive to focus on how to make choices that you're happier with, rather than beating yourself up.

I am going to give you a few articles to start with about sex and relationships that I think you might find helpful
When Sex "Just Happened" (And How to Make It Happen Instead)
Supermodel: Creating & Nurturing Your Own Best Relationship Models
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

And, I think this article is a god place to start in helping you care for and affirm yourself from within, rather than looking for it from other people
Self-Care a La Carte

[ 02-21-2014, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Wow, these links gave a lot of insights and I feel more secure about sex and what about I'm going throught right now.

Thank you very very much!

Could I have emotional advice from one of the volunteers as a person, not liks?

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Hi there, Isabela! [Smile]

Like Redskies said before, sometimes we make some choices that are not the best for us. That happens, we are human, and "mistakes" -- if you even want to label this as that -- are part of the growing up process. A very important part actually, because that's how we learn what better works for us and what doesn't.

I can totally understand feeling bad about something that seems to be a wrong choice this time but, moving forward, it might be helpful to take this to figure it out where do you want to go from here. Sounds like you found out that sex was not the answer to forget a previous relationship and to improve your self-esteem, right? If so, there you go, you have now a new thing you didn't know. [Smile]

Hormones have so little to do with this situations, really, and same goes to maturity. Wanting to have sex is nothing to be ashamed of, and if you really "felt like doing it", and with this I just mean if it was consensual for both parts involved, then I really think that you should get rid of all self-jugdments, the crappy ones and like I said befoe, just figure it out where do you want to go from here. [Smile]

I know that sometimes a break-up, especially with a relationship that lasted a year and a half -- can be a very hard thing to go through. What about doing some self-care for yourself? What do you think about spending some time with you, and doing the things you like and things that make you feel good to heal your heart? Is this something you would like to do? If so, Sam gave you a very good link with *great* pointers of where to start in the Self-Care a La Carte link.

I don't know if this is the kind of advice you wanted to hear. People are very different so what works for one not always is going to work for others, but I hope at least this can help a little bit. [Smile]

I'm going to leave you a couple of articles that might be helpful, if you have the chance I'd say give those a try:

Getting Through a Breakup Without Actually Breaking

Love Letter

--------------------

Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

First of all, forgive me if I make a few grammar mistakes, since English is not my 1st language and I don't usually practice it.

I engaged in the self-care program today, and I feel so much better now. I will just keep doing nice things until my heart recovers from the pain. With the articles Sam W sent me, I found out I don't need to go throught this alone and I talked to a few friends, who are now helping me and listening to me until I feel better.

Sorry for changing the subject like that, but I feel confortable in this website to get some help and feel better. And there is something that is really bothering me lately and keeping me from having a healthy life.

I want advice for the following situation:

Everything was great in my relationship, until my boyfriend stopped making time for me and got distant and careless. Then, I made a few mistakes like being clingy and jealous because he was putting friends (including girls) in front of me on his priority lists. He invited me to a party he was throwing and a few days after, he uninvited me because he wanted to be with his girl friends without having to spend time with me.
His behaviors became very weird, because he wanted me to wear a compromise ring and introduced me to his family months before... he said I was family and always reassured me when I was insecure about him leaving.
We kept fighting over silly things for a week. Suddenly, out of nothing, he said monogamy and compromise wasn't a thing he had been enjoying much the last few weeks before he broke up. He told me he didn't want to talk about the things that were not ok and that were making us fight all the time, so he was leaving because discussing the relationship and comunicating made him unhappy. He turned 18 and got into college and said he was into enjoying his life and partying hard, although he said he loved me very much.
He blocked me on facebook and now we haven't talked for a whole week. I feel devastated, sad, angry, hopeless... I dream about him every night.

Oh, and he wanted me to become friends with benefits with him, which I found completery disrespectful. I love him, I lost my virginity to him and we had a serious relationship for several months. I'm insecure and I get jealous easily, and he still wants me to be just another girl he hooks up with eventually. I don't think I will be truly happy in this relationship, because he will fool around with another girls while I will keep waiting for him to compromise again. At the same time, I want to be with him.
He refused to listen to me and talk to make things right between us, choosing a break up instead of facing problems. This is just cold to someone who claim to love me to do. I don't think I deserve to change my ways and make huges sacrifices in an open relationship to be with someone who couldn't do a thing for me when I needed him.
I don't know what to do. Should I accept his terms or move on and find someone who I can be monogamous with?

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

You know? There is no way I could tell you -- or anyone -- whether you should accept his terms or not. YOU are the only one who can decide that because YOU are the expert when it comes to YOU. Although I am reading right here that "you don't think you will be happy in this relationship" and YOU are important. Your happiness and your well being is important.

Sometimes loving someone is not enough to make a relationship work, and I know that sucks, especially when we really want it to work. [Frown] Of course your boyfriend has the right to want an open relationship or the right to need/want time to spend time with his friends -- females or males -- but you also get to decide if the relationship is offering what you need/want and to decide if you want to stay or not. I know sometimes is very tempting to try to "fix" a relationship or even a person, but that's never our work. I believe that when we try to do that is very easy to lose ourselves in that process, you know? If you don't feel like a "friends with benefits" will, well benefit you, and if you still try it regardless, somehow you lose a part of yourself by doing that, know what I mean?

Of course is always up to you, but I believe that whenever we are talking about making "sacrifices" for someone in the name of love, that's a cue that maybe we are not in the right relationship or with the right person. Love, sex, never should be a sacrifice. It should be something that makes us feel *great*, happy, *eager* to do whatever we want/need to do. [Smile]

I want to say something about "losing your virginity" to him. Maybe if you try and change that framing it could be a little helpful. Virginity is not a physical thing. We don't *lose* it like we lose a wallet or our keys. If whenever you had sex with your exboyfriend was consensual, what would you think or how would you feel about just gaining some experience? You are still you, and you are still whole, okay? I just wanted to say this because sometimes is easy to think that someone had a part of us but what they really got was a moment of our lives, that's all. And the *whole* you deserves to be in a relationship where is HAPPY. Be that an open relationship or a monogamous one. [Smile]

And, just a ps. your English is great! [Smile]

[ 02-22-2014, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------

Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Thanks for the opinion!

I refused the open relationship and told him I want to be with someone who loves me as much as I love him and that wants to make it work just as much as I want to. I won't be happy seeing my partner kiss, have sex or emotional romantic bonds with anyone but me. I will feel worthless and replaced, because we were exclusive for so long and this new reality is a step back, and not forward to compromise and the kind of relationship I want right now in my life.
I need to make myself happy, not him. He is not making a single effort to estabilish bondaries and deals (he refuses to talk about "us" and he said he wants to have sex with as many girls as he can) I am not doing this alone. I deserve better, and I don't want to play the victim, but what kind of boyfriend ignores his girlfriend everytime he is with friends and uninvite her for a party at his own house?
I can do better. This is my final consideration on my relationship issues.

Do you think it is natural to feel this way or I'm just controlling and selfish to want to be exclusive? We always hung out with our friends and had friends from both genders. We had our freedom amd own lives.

P.S: I don't regret having my first time with him... I learned a lot and had great moments with him. It is just that I will remember him as my first lover for the rest of my life, I mean, it was special and just like I imagined, with love, care and desire.

I just miss the way we were, you know? In a couple weeks, he turned into someone completely different and with different personality and goals.

I know I'm the only one who can decide it for myself, but all my friend and my parents keep telling me I should not come back with him in a friends with benefits relationship because I will get hurt. They say he will play with my feelings and I will chase him and be let down everytime I try to take the relationship to the next level. While about him? He will be kissing and having sex with lots of girls, he will be over our relationship. I will never be over him if I get into this suffering cycle.

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I don't think "natural" or "normal" when we talk about feelings -- or anything, period -- is something we can say for sure. Feelings are just feelings and you get to feel the way you do. I hear you talking here very determined and sure about what you want and need, so I will stick to that. [Smile] I don't think is selfish or controlling nor playing a victim to say what we need/want in a relationship. Again, you have the right to do it as well he has the right to refuse to do it. If those things don't match then I think this is simply a relationship that is not going to work well.

Missing someone is okay. We get to do that, my advice would only be to take care of yourself while you go through the process. Again, YOU are important. [Smile]

Open relationships are not always hurtful, not when everyone involved agreed to the terms they settled. But this might just be something that won't suit you, and that's also okay.

I'm glad to hear you know you deserve to be happy, that's a very important thing to know for our own sake and will make things a little bit easier even when getting through a breakup is always a hard thing to do. [Smile]

--------------------

Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Hello again, I feel proud to say that I have been recovering well from the break up.
Anyways, I feel anxious about the condom rolling up! I feel bloated and my boobs are sensitive and swollen... I got some pimples too, which are normal when I'm about to get my period.
I need some reassurance... he didn't ejaculated in the condom but it slip down a little... about half the way down. I am going nuts.
The boy's father is a doctor and he said I am fine. Am I?

Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

I am so worried... my period is supppsed to come in a few days. Help!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is not anything to do about that right now except to wait it out. Alas, we lack the power to make time move faster.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

If a condom slip but doesn't fall, does it count as a condom failure?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we refer to condom failure, what that actually means it that a condom failed to prevent pregnancy. The most common ways that happens is if the condom breaks, comes all the way off, or is not used for the entirety of the sexual interaction.

So, as we said earlier in the thread, unless the condom broke or came all the way off, you can assume it did it's job.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isabela
Neophyte
Member # 109508

Okaay, so I have just gotten my period! Which leads me to another question: can a woman have her period and be pregnant at the same time?
I doubt it, but some people I know and the internet say it is possible... that's why there are a few women who give birth to a child without knowing they were pregnant

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

It's not possible to have a period and be pregnant, because a period is the shedding of the uterine lining, and that lining would be needed to sustain a pregnancy. Random spotting can happen during pregnancy, but it's highly unlikely that that would seem like someone's ordinary period. If it's a similar amount of bleeding for a similar length of time to your ordinary period, around the time you expected a period, you can feel very sure it's a period.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.