Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » pregnancy scare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy scare?
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Icon 9 posted      Profile for redpetals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around the beginning of January I was involved in direct genital contact but my "partner" did not ejaculate anywhere near my genitals, so i thought i was fine. Later that month my period was a few days late but i had all the symptoms for it (except an extra one: vomiting) so i was quite worried, but on the 28th I got my period. Or what I thought to be my period? It was like how it is every time and the flow was heavy as usual so i thought okay i can stop worrying now.
It's been more than 2 weeks since then and now i have tender breasts again and it's not time for my period yet. The only other odd things i can think of are my constant heartburn and tiredness when i get home from school but i guess that's normal.
Could it be possible that what i thought to be my "period" wasn't actually my period and something else? i'm sorry if i seem really stupid right now but I don't have any other explanations and i don't have the option to see a doctor about any of this.

Posts: 19 | From: Middle East | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it looks like a period, acts like a period, and feels like a period, what it almost always is is a period.

Breast tenderness is common when people have breasts, especially during times of life when breasts are changing, like during puberty, or with weight changes. Heartburn is almost always related to how someone is eating.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redpetals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there's no need to worry even if the period was shorter than normal?
Posts: 19 | From: Middle East | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Periods often will not be the same number of days, with some being a day or two longer, others a day or two shorter.

If you are concerned about pregnancy, the only way to get a real answer there is to take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redpetals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that it could have been 'implantation bleeding'?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Implantation bleeding is not that common, and will not look or feel like a period.

However, as Heather said, the only way to get a for sure answer is to take a pregnancy test.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

I don't really have access to a test at the moment but thank you for your help [Smile]
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Hello again, i'm sorry to keep pestering you about this but I'm really confused. I got my period again around the end of February and I thought it was completely normal because the flow was really heavy as usual.. what I didn't know was that the unusual color was a cause for concern. My periods are usually dark (which could be because they're almost always late so the blood is old?) but that time it was bright red and i had virtually no cramps whatsoever. I've gained a lot of weight and my breasts are larger but I didn't pay attention or give it much thought because I normally eat and sleep right after coming home from school so I thought this was the cause. I've read so many articles on the site and some have helped to calm me down but I came across something called decidual bleeding and I was wondering if it's possible this may be what is happening to me?
I'm planning on taking a test as soon as I can get my hands on one.. I didn't bother before though only because I thought there was nothing to worry about.
Sorry again for the long post

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you know, the only way to know for sure is to take a pregnancy test. However, heavy bleeding for several days strongly suggests you are not pregnant.

It's normal to have some variation sometimes. The blood being a slightly different colour to usual is no cause for concern.

You said your periods are "almost always late". How are you measuring that? You should estimate when your period is due according to what has been most usual for you. For example, if someone's cycle lengths were 33, then 31, then 34, then 30 days, that is normal for that person, and a period that comes at 33 days is right on time for them.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Well to be honest I don't really chart my cycles (I should probably start) , but from what I can remember I usually get my period towards the end of every month, majority of the time within the last 10 days.
Sometimes, if I get it on a specific day one month, I expect it again around the same time give or take a day. The last 'period' I had came a few days earlier than I expected though.

Also, is it true that decidual bleeding resembles a regular menstrual period closely to a point where you can't tell a difference without a pregnancy test?

Thanks for your help:)

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you can't really be sure when your period is due, and as different months have different numbers of days in them, it's clear that some variation is normal for you.

Any bleeding during pregnancy would be unlikely to look like a period, particularly a heavy one lasting days, because bleeding is the shedding of the uterine lining and it would not be possible to sustain a pregnancy without that lining. Again, the way to know for sure, and to give you the definite answer you clearly need in order to stop worrying about this, is with a test.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

I read somewhere that some women bleed through out a pregnancy because only a part of the uterine lining is being shed for some reason. I'm not really sure if this is accurate but that's mainly why I'm worrying.

Alrighty, thank you very much, I will take a test soon:)

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Random bleeding can happen sometimes during pregnancy, but it would be unlikely to look like a period, and very, very unlikely to repeatedly look like a period and keep happening around the time a period was expected.

--------------------

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Also, do you need any help with finding information or access to contraception methods or in making different decisions in the future, so you don't end up worrying like this again?

--------------------

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Thank you so much [Smile] but I think being in this situation helped me make my mind up. I can't really afford to put myself in this position again so I definitely won't be, considering that others will be affected by it as well, and the person I'm in a relationship with has totally agreed and understood where I'm coming from.

What I'm worried about now is what to do if by some chance the test result is positive.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Worrying about what to do if you get a positive result only makes sense if and when someone actually gets a positive result, particularly when it sounds like you've had a period, which would mean you're not pregnant.

So, until you get a test, how about using some tips from Self-Care a La Carte for managing your worry?

--------------------

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

I'm a worry freak even when it comes to finishing school assignments, and I don't have any preferred ways of managing stress or worry so I end up making situations worse for myself. Definitely something I need to work on.
Thank you for the article and your patience:)

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Hey I took a test today and it was negative. [Big Grin] followed the instructions as best as i could and now i feel so relieved. I just wanted to say thank you again for you help:)
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Good to hear, and you're very welcome!

--------------------

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Just wondering, does taking a test within about 1-2 hours after drinking anything make the results any less reliable?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there were any factors like this that would make a test less reliable, they'd be mentioned in the instructions. So if they didn't say so, then no.
Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

The instructions said that excessive fluid intake prior to testing would dilute the hormone, but I didn't think that a having a soda or something an hour before would affect the results... I've taken 2 tests with negative results and both times I had a drink a little while before. I guess I'm just waiting on my period now to re-assure me.
I'm really sorry for being a nuisance, I just keep thinking that everything is a sure sign that I'm pregnant.. I even feel like my belly is getting bigger. There are other things I would like to go see a doctor about but I can't yet until I'm sure that this isn't what I think it is because there is no way I can let my parents know about this.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, in this instance, that excessive fluid means drinking a large quantity of liquid, not just a soda or glass of water. Since you've had two negative tests plus a period, you can assume you are not pregnant. So, if there are other symptoms you are concerned about, I would go see a doctor about them.

If you are feeling anxious, it might be good to do some self care form that article redskies gave you. I also think this article may be helpful
You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

I've read this article:) I'm trying to keep my cool, but it really doesn't help that I feel like my cycles are really weird. The cycle between the period before my risk and after it was more than 30 days, but the next one was only 23. Is that even normal? I have also read the article about periods and how the amount of days in each cycle vary, but how is it that I'm only noticing this abnormality now :s
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Yep, that's normal. Sometimes, we don't notice that we have an irregular period until something (like a pregnancy scare) causes us to focus more carefully on our cycle, which may be what is happening here.
redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

Okay:) Well is it normal to have really watery discharge with a slight odor around the time I'm expecting my next period? Or if it's an infection could it possibly delay my period?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

If you haven't seen it already, this is a great piece to reference when you're wondering about your discharge:
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

So if there's a profuse amount of watery discharge there may be something wrong? It has only been like this for 2 days now though.. but more than once I thought I felt my period 'start' when it turned out to be just the discharge.
Heather
Member # 3

If you have a lot of watery discharge you have never seen before, and that doesn't right itself within a few days, then, if possible, the sound thing to do would be to see a healthcare provider to check for an infection.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

around the other times I feel like I might get my period, I don't think I've ever had discharge like this. I might just get another pregnancy test before asking to see a healthcare provider because the worry is still in my mind
Heather
Member # 3

Well, a pregnancy test will certainly answer the question of whether or not you are pregnant, but if that discharge stays funky for another few days, it will not tell you what is going on there.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

redpetals
Neophyte
Member # 109462

I just want to feel completely sure about not being pregnant before I actually speak to my mom so I can go see a doctor. I've even tried checking the position of my cervix but there are several websites for women who are expecting that say it should be high up, wet, but closed while others say it should be medium or low and I don't even know what I'm doing to be honest. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the information I've tried to take in the past few days. But thanks for all the help and your patience.
What do I do if my period doesn't come by the end of this month? :s

Heather
Member # 3

Doing something like learning about what a cervical position can mean is not something a person is going to learn over days, but over months and years of observing, and not when in a panic. That is also not a sound way to check for pregnancy: a test is.

If your period is late, then you can test. However, as I understand it you already have HAD a period since the incident you are concerned about, and a negative test, which makes awfully clear that you are not pregnant. Now it sounds like the work you really need to do is accepting that fact, rather than doing things to keep yourself in a panic.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.