Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » period or pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period or pregnant?
Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anxieteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and i had unprotected vaginal penetration on January 5. He wasn't able to get everything in in. It's not our first time attempting to have sex but we've never gotten past trying to get it fully in since it hurts so much for me!! There might have been precum tho

My last period was on December 29 and i have a regular cycle of 27-29 days and my period was supposed to come January 25. I took an hpt on the 27th and on the 29th that both came back negative but i read you're supposed to take it again a week after missed period because there might not be enough hormones.

I did get very light spotting on the 28th and a heavier bleeding (1 heavy tampax tampon every 3-4 hours) the next day. The third day of my menstruation is very light again, almost gone. This worries me a lot since i my period lasts 5-7 days. Is this my period or is it some other sort of bleeding that means I'm pregnant?

My boyfriend told me not to worry but i read so many things on the Internet about this before i stumbled on this site. I can't concentrate on anything and have mini panic attacks throughout the day.

Help me please! Is there still a chance that i'm pregnant?

[ 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Anxieteen ]

Posts: 18 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

As long as you took the tests according to the directions (including taking them at least 14 days after the incident) you can trust the results. You can find more info on that here:
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Just so you know, it's normal for periods to vary in their arrival time by a few days, even if you have a pretty regular schedule. And since this bleeding came at about the same time as your period, then it is most likely your period.

Just so you know, unprotected sex does carry the risk of STI transmission, so if you and your partner are not up to date on your testing, you may want to do so.

[ 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two negative pregnancy tests taken after your period was expected to arrive means that you are not pregnant. Periods can show up a bit late and be lighter or heavier for all kinds of reasons, including illness.

However, unprotected genital contact, even without ejaculation, does carry risks of STIs and pregnancy. Have you and your boyfriend discussed those risks at all, and how to reduce them? Do you have condoms available?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anxieteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for both your replies! Yes we have both discussed it and he's gotten tested. He's my first so I'm pretty sure i don't have an sti.

We both aren't too keen on condoms. I've been meaning to take birth control but when i do try some of my other medical conditions act up pretty bad. I've tried talking to my doctors about it but they just dismissed my complaints. [Frown]

Posts: 18 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry your doctors haven't taken your concerns seriously: that's poor practice on their part, and if you can, it might be worth trying to find a doctor who will take your medical conditions into consideration.

What is it about condoms that you and your partner aren't fans of? If you want, happy to discuss some things that can make them easier and more comfortable to use for both of you.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it about condoms that you and your partner dislike?

Sorry to hear your doctors aren't taking your concerns seriously. Would you like some info on choosing different BC methods?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

(One more thing: STIs are called sexually transmitted infections because that is the primary way they are transmitted, but not the only way for some of them. So it's possible to have an STI without any sexual contact whatsoever, which is why it's sound that everyone get tested and use barriers regardless of whether they're with their first partner or their tenth.)

--------------------

Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

we both don't have money and come from strict catholic families. Condoms seem like a waste of money since we've never gotten past trying to put it all in for 1 minute.

Our families probably know that we are trying to have sex but it's a don't ask don't tell situation and sex ed has always been "don't have sex".

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Condoms are actually fairly inexpensive, and there are many places where you can pick them up for free. And, many people find that the minor expense of a pack of condoms is preferable to the stress of worrying about pregnancy or STI transmission.

Is the cost the primary barrier to you using them, or is it more to do with how condoms interact with your faith and upbringing?

[ 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

I think it's a bit of both. I'm also freaked out that my parents would disown me if they ever got physical evidence (used condom) of a sexual relationship between me and my bf.
Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Thank you so much for your help! The first time i got restful sleep was after reading articles and forum posts on this site.

Yahoo answers is a very scary place.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're very welcome (you're right, it is a scary place)
If you don't mind my asking, what makes you think they will react that way? Sometimes, our parents are way more levelheaded about us being sexually active than we are anticipating them to be. And, as much as we may want there to be, there is nothing we can do to guarantee that they won't find out. So, if you feel that the consequences of your parents finding out about you having sex would put you at risk, then that's something to consider in terms of whether or not you want to dial back your activity.

If you think you still want to be sexually active, I think this might be a good place to start in terms of considering BC options:
Birth Control Bingo!

[ 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Hi, it's me again.

I decided to reply to my own post since it's technically still the same scare.

My pregnancy scare is rearing its ugly head again now that my period is supposed to be here. I have not had another sexual contact since my last post and I've told my boyfriend that i'm NOT ready for sex at all. (he agreed wholeheartedly since the last scare was pretty stressful for him too). We're keeping our genitals away from each other from now on.

I took another hpt on feb 1, On the weakest day of my period and it still came out negative. Now that my period is supposed to arrive today, I'm worrying that my last period was possibly decidual bleeding and that i didn't have enough hormones for it to show up on the hpt (25 miu).

My bf officially thinks I'm INSANE and, honestly, that's what's keeping me from a full on freak out.

So is it really my menstruation and i'm freaking out over nothing, or is there a possibility that it was decidual bleeding?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Since you have now had the two prior negative test results, plus this third one, I would say that this is a clear indicator that you are not pregnant (especially since you had something that seems to have been your period). And, to reiterate, periods vary in when they arrive, so your current one being late could be due to many things. You can read more about that here.
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, at this point, you're still concerned about the incident from January 5, yes? If this had resulted in a pregnancy, a test would have detected it by now. You're well past the point when a test would be accurate.

As this is still really worrisome for you, I think this article might be helpful to read: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Actually, the last time i took it was feb 1 which is why I'm worried I might not have waited long enough. Should i take another one then? [Frown]

I brought the issue of taking another hpt with my bf and he told me that with 3 negatives under my belt, another hpt would just make me lose sleep and i'd probably just question the results again eventually. (i couldn't sleep or concentrate the day i bought it until i disposed of my negatives in a mall two days later)

I'm probably not pregnant but I can't stop worrying until i get a period that's normal to me.

Thank you for all your help. I'm constantly turning to this site to help keep me grounded. No more google-fu and other questionable sites
sites.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By February 1st, you would have waited long enough for a test to be accurate. If you think seeing another negative result would help you, then that's an option you have.

Really, all you can do now is find ways to manage your worries. The article I linked above has some good ideas there, as does this one: Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anxieteen
Neophyte
Member # 109478

Thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.