Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Pregnancy tests accuracy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy tests accuracy
Teendrama
Neophyte
Member # 109313

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Teendrama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have genuinely read all the FAQs and articles on this site and am still stressing. I had sex on 29th and there was a condom but first he rubbed his penis on my vulva. I also had some anal on 3rd January. Admittedly I don't know when my ovulation is.

I got my 'period' a day early but am stressing about whether it was implantation bleeding instead because it started with brown discharge. I have been having rib pains for the past week and have been bloating for the same length.

I took a test (every few days after period was due) and my last test (first response early result) was on 18th January. Why am I still stressing?

I keep reading horror stories on the internet about hpt not detecting hcg even 20weeks into pregnancy.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you say you keep reading horror stories, which is undoubtedly part of why you are freaking out. Scary movies usually scare us. Same goes with scary stories. So, your first step is a really easy one: stop reading that stuff. [Smile]

If you followed the directions on your pregnancy tests, you can rest assured they are accurate. If you have been having things like pain in your ribs and unexplained bloating, then you want to see a healthcare provider about those to find out what they ARE from. (While you are there, if these kinds of sex have been unprotected and you are not current with STI testing, it would also be a good idea to get that done, too, as you will have had STI risks from those activities.)

[ 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi teendrama,

If you took the most recent test according to the directions, than you can trust the result.
Plus, you've had a period, which means you can't be pregnanr
I know you said you've read most of the articles, but this one might help answer your question about why you still feel stressed
You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

I would recommend resisting the urge to feed this anxiety with googleing horror stories. Those accounts are usually either grossly inaccurate or just flat out false. If you do go looking for sex ed info, this is a good resource:
Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teendrama
Neophyte
Member # 109313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teendrama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thank you. It's just difficult sometimes when you're hyper-stressed about things like this.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite welcome.

You're right that staying calm can be rough if you're feeling really stressed. It might help to use some techniques from this article:
Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.