Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Am I 6 months pregnant?! help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I 6 months pregnant?! help!
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

Icon 11 posted      Profile for anonx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, the last time I had sex was 28th June, it was two days after my period and we used a condom, which we think was okay with no holes or tears. Also, my average cycle length is 33 days. What is the chance of pregnancy???

Additional info;
The last time I had sex was on the 28th June, and my period was from the 22nd-27th. We used protection and I'm pretty sure it was fine. My average cycle is around 33 days but I didn't get a period all of July, it came the 1st-5th Aug, making it a 40 day cycle and a week late. The period was at normal length but was a bit lighter than usual. I was obviously paranoid back then and did around 7 urine pregnancy tests, all of which were negative. I also got a blood test done around the 20th August, will that have been accurate at that stage btw?? I then got my period on the 28th August and obviously tht was like my Sept period. I then got it October and November, but November was medium flow but lighter than what I expect. I was obviously expecting my December period, for it to be 2 weeks late and my cycle length was at 44 days. This caused concern due to the late period in July. A week before my December period came, I went to see the doctor and he said I wasn't pregnant as I'd be showing and have symptoms and movement etc and felt my stomach and said it was fine without doing a test. So I bought two home tests which came back negative. My period was again, normal length but lighter than usual so this freaked me out and I got another two tests which were negative, one of them I did yesterday. However, I have panicked as I've been looking online and read many stories in which women didn't know they were pregnant until 7/8 months or even until they went in to labour as they ha negative tests and bleeds throughout which I guess mimic periods. I'm just freaking out and keep thinking I can feel kicks, my tummy is hard and round and, lower back ache my breasts hurt when deep down, I guess I kind of know they're not but when you panic you look for more symptoms. So I was wondering is it actually likely I am pregnant or have I just worried myself?! I'm 21, NOT ttc as I am in my final year at university.

Posts: 10 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Anonx and welcome to Scarleteen,

Negative pregnancy tests mean you're not pregnant, period. So does getting your period, even if your cycles are a little different than you're used to.

Most of those stories you're reading aren't likely to be true. When reading information online or in books, it's vital to consider the source so you can evaluate whether that information has any truth to it.

Have you spoken with a healthcare provider about your concerns and about the physical changes you have noticed in your body?

Here are some additional articles that might help you out.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/youre_not_pregnant_why_do_you_think_you_are

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/etc/legit_or_unfit_finding_safe_sound_sex_educators_support_online

[ 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the advice. Is it likely to get pregnant from having protected sex a couple of days after a period has ended? Bearing in mind I have a long-ish cycle of 33 days. Also, what could be the cause of the stomach gurgles, feelings and noises?

Thanks

Posts: 10 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome. [Smile]
If you used a condom for all genital contact during that sexual encounter, and the condom did not break or fall off, pregnancy is truly unlikely no matter where one is in one's menstrual cycle.

There are lots of reasons why you might be experiencing these stomach troubles. If they concern you, the soundest thing to do is to consult your healthcare provider. Your provider can examine you, take your history, and help you figure out what's going on. Really, that's the only way to diagnose any physical problem. [Smile]

Here are a couple more articles you might find helpful:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexual_health/condom_basics_a_users_manual

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2013/12/03/lets_dial_down_some_maybe_ovulation_freakouts

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a urine pregnancy test be accurate at this point? I can't seem to shake the idea of pregnancy off!
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it would be.

anon, do you have any idea on why you are still so worried, despite knowing that pregnancy is not a possibility? Do you generally have problems with anxiety?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

I've read that some people do not test positive though?

I don't have general anxiety, but with pregnancy and sex I do. As my situation is difficult and my parents would not accept it!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Pregnancy tests test for a hormone called HCG, which is only produced during Pregnancy. If there is no HCG there can be no pregnancy, as HCG is one of the many conditions needed to sustain pregnancy.

were you able to read through the "You aren't pregnant. Why do you think you are?" article? If so, did any of the reasons that people fear pregnancy when it's been proved not to exist ring a bell for you?

Where do you think these fears are coming from?

have you been able to discuss your worries with a healthcare provider?

--------------------
Robin

anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

I see. But can't you get false negatives where you don't have enough of the hormone to register?

Yes, I did thank you. It did help!

I think it's due to family opinions and my last Yerba of university!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why you will want to follow the instructions on the test and wait long enough before you take the test. And if you want to be extra sure, you can re-rest a few weeks later to confirm the result.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

Okay. Well, I've done a few myself and had some done at clinics so surely they would be reliable, especially at 6-7 months?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they would. It might be helpful, if you're still having anxiety, to bring it up with a healthcare provider and see if you can get a referral to a counselor or therapist - they're really the best people to help you with ongoing anxiety like this.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

I am going to see my doctor later this week to talk about all this. I am sure I can feel movement/kicks though!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were that from a fetus, a pregnancy would have long ago been diagnosed at clinics. You just can't miss a fetus of many months, even a several you are not likely to unless the patient has a very high weight (the kind often classified as obese) or something like a very big tumor blocking the right view of the uterus, cervix and other related structures.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

That's true but you hear all these stories online. Also, could I have experienced decidual bleeding, from what I gather it can easily be mistaken as a period? Thanks in advance
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we can never figure that anything we can hear or read is true just because we can hear or read it. And if you are feeling, at anytime, about pretty much anything, like you can't read about a thing and consider it logically, then it is likely time to stop reading and figure out why that it, and see what you can do for yourself to change that, okay?

Decidual bleeding is not very common, but even when it does happen, it only occurs for the first month or so of a pregnancy. And were you months pregnant, decidual bleeding or not, you would not keep having negative pregnancy tests, clinics telling you you are not pregnant, and most often, the way you feel in your body and life would be way more disrupted than it has been.

But really, it's clear you need a healthcare provider to help you evaluate what IS going on with you, and I think until then, it isn't sound to keep feeling out elsewhere. Instead, it's likely best to take some steps away from the net -- or at least parts of it you do not know to be relaxing and fun for you -- do some self care, and just be patient until next week, when you can see someone who can evaluate your whole health, including your mental health to some degree, to figure out what's up here and help you start feeling better.

[ 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonx
Neophyte
Member # 109307

That is true but do people really lie about things like that online?

Okay, so I'm not experiencing decidual bleeding then?

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so hopefully I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks for your time!

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you'll be seeing a healthcare provider. I hope the appointment provides you with some helpful info.
Posts: 943 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

People lie about things online just like people lie offline. So yes, people lie. It can help to bear in mind that some people are not in situations or circumstances where they can be honest about a given part of a pregnancy, including the timing. And sometimes when someone has created a fiction they can voice in life, it starts to become real for them. others want to validate that fiction on the net, either for themselves, or for people they know who may be reading them.

People also do things like misunderstand the timing of their pregnancies or periods, and some people also have very selective memories, so they are not exactly being dishonest, but they are not doing quality reporting, either, if you catch my drift.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.