Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » What's wrong with my anxiety?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with my anxiety?
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a pregnancy scare, per se. I'm aware that I'm engaging in acts that could lead to pregnancy; however, I take Yaz regularly - never later than 3 hours, never miss a pill - and my boyfriend uses condoms - always from the start till the end, they've never leaked or broken, and I know that I just have to wait for a couple of days for my next withdrawal bleed, but I can't stop this paralyzing anxiety and constant body awareness.
I love my boyfriend, we have a wonderful sex life, my mother knows and approves, and while all parties would be unhappy with a pregnancy, it is something that probably could be dealt with.
Still, I spend every hour and minute feeling my tummy for bumps, browsing google for why I started burping a few weeks ago and can't stop, trying to evaluate my discharge, and so on and so forth. It's like in a negative way I'm addicted to it, but it's driving me insane. Severe anxiety runs in my family, and right now I could really do with some tips on how to manage it and assurance that condoms + pill = very reliable indeed.
It's like my mind is wrestling with my body so I've become super attuned to the tiniest twinge and change, and I know this will keep going each month until I get my withdrawal. How can I control this?

Posts: 39 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who you want to talk to about evaluating and treating anxiety is a mental health professional: that is not who we are or what we do. We are a sex, sexuality and relationships information and education service.

Do you know where or how to access that kind of person or service? If not, if you have a general doctor you see and can access, they are usually the best place to start.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Heather, I just didn't know who to turn to. Tomorrow I'm going to my GP because it turns out I need a blood test to check for generic blood tests which will mean going off the pill for a month, I will speak to her and see if I can get tested because probably it's the only way I can know for sure (I can't bear to wait another day or two for my withdrawal to start) - and I'm terrified of her telling me that my suspicions and symptoms were right and that I am pregnant. I'm just trying to get through the night (and long school day ahead) by telling myself that it's all in my head because I've been consistently using the buddy system.
Worst case scenario being that I am pregnant and I'll have no idea how because I'm such a regular pill taker and have never had sex without a condom, and that is enough to shake my faith in medicine and above all, myself.
My panic levels are rising rapidly and I can't do anything because it's the middle of the night here.

Posts: 39 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking to your GP is a good start. Are you planning on asking her on how to access resources for anxiety?

While this article is by no means meant to take the place of a professional counselor/therapist, it may have some tips in it that will help you manage your stress/anxiety until you can talk to someone.

Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Yes, I've got three things I need to ask her 1) if she can reassure me that I'm not pregnant or even better test me 2) whether I really need to go off the pill in order to do the blood coagulation test and 3) if she can suggest medication or counselors to stop the paranoia because it's making me feel ridiculous and terrified.

Thank you for that link, I needed some help for how to relax a bit [Smile]

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite welcome. I am glad the link is useful, and I hope you find appointment helpful
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Could I just ask you one final question please? Last month I threw up the first active pill in my final week of yaz (on the 11th December). From what I understood in the insert, I then proceeded to take the 4 sugar pills from the following day and start a new pack (on the 16th December) instead of taking the remaining two active ones. Had I understood correctly and was I still protected that way? I couldn't find any similar cases on your site. Thanks again!!
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you followed the instructions in your insert, then you took the pill correctly. When taking any medication, not just birth control, the information in that medication's insert is what you need to follow. If you have confusion about that, the best people to consult are your health care provider, pharmacist, or both.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.