Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Challenge Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Challenge Day
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ever have an oportunity to attend "Challenge Day" at your school, you absolutely should go. It is a truly life-changing experience. I just just participated in one at my school and it was amazing. I've been to lots of workshops and activities with facilitators and such but this was the best I have ever been to.

The program has a ton of goals, but what I got out of it, the biggest part that is, is feel what you're feeling, don't bottle it up inside.

When we got into the room I didn't know what to expect, but I really don't think that I was expecting what I got.

We talked about really challenging things, with brief interspurts of comedic relief.

I got to know a hundred people in my school of one thousand who I'd never really even given a second thought to. They were people I had judged and made up my mind about, but through this day I was able to break that down.

I have never seen more people crying and hugging in one room. We talked about a lot of really difficult stuff, but we supported each other.

I love every person in that room now. I have had so many walls up for my entire life, I've never been really real with anyone. At least not since I was little.

I cried in front of people, I told them what was on my mind and I felt good about it. I didn't bottle anything up. I tried to the best of my ability to be me, to let other people see who that was.

At the end of the fantastic day the microphones were turned over to those of us who participated in the program. At the very end, I got up and spoke. I wasn't really sure what to say but I knew that I wanted to talk.

I spun in a circle and jumped around and shouted and was more comfortable being silly in front on one hundred people than I had been that morning in front of my best friends (who were a part of that crowd of 100 btw). And then, I came out. I stodd in front of one hundred people and said, I'm bisexual. (And yeah, I know I go off about not liking labels, but it is progress none the less). And then I moved on. I told everyone that I wanted the feeling of comfort and support and being safe that I felt to continue.

The day was truly lifechanging. It was so worth missing class.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful! I'm so happy for you! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.