Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Fave Words About You

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fave Words About You
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether it's a word you use about yourself, or a way someone else has described you, have a word or two you really, really like that's about you, and that makes you feel good about yourself?

For example, a bunch of years back, I had an ex-now-friend call me "swarthy." It made me really happy because when it comes to the way I look and present myself in terms of gender, I appreciate having things recognized about me which aren't delicate or in alignment with kind of the girl-status-quo.

As well, something about "swarthy" spoke to both sides of my family history and genetics which I really liked. We've historically all been kind of rough-and-tumble people, survivors, indelicate-looking, earthy, hearty. I like that about us, and I like being connected to that. Being seen in that from someone who didn't know that history was cool.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to describe myself as slim. Not skinny, please not skinny, I was skinny until I started walking regularly, thanks to very little muscle and an amazing metabolism.
That amazing metabolism is still going (although I've subverted it enough for me to go from an actually underweight, 80-pound 15 year old to a healthy weight, 135 pound 19 year old) but I have muscle now. My legs aren't toothpicks, and I can't quite wrap my hands around my thighs. My ribs can't be counted anymore, and my stomach is a little bigger, but it's distributed fairly evenly and it looks nice. My breasts no longer look frighteningly large on a frame that could hardly fit them-they look perfectly proportional now.
Basically, I like that I no longer weigh next to nothing. I celebrated when I hit a hundred pounds for the first time in my life. And I love that my weight distributes neatly across my body, giving me less of an appearance of a bag with bones clearly visible. I like slim because at this point, when I'm actually able to look at myself in the full length mirror and not think "That's a skeleton with skin", I call myself slim.
Also, the word just sounds nice. I'm a sometimes writer and an emotional poet. Words have beauty, and slim feels like a beautiful word. It's hard to explain unless one knows the power of words.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad described me once as 'highly principled and transparently honest'. I'm not sure I fully deserve those words really, but it's something to aspire to, and it makes me happy thinking about it.
Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I`ve been described as being `not a cookie-cutter kid` and I love it.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvid
Neophyte
Member # 95308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I always loved being called "weird". It sounds...well...weird, but I love it! It makes me feel different and it makes me proud. I was always the weird kid who loved darker movies (horror stuff!) at a younger age, hated makeup, and hated girly stuff. I still don't like a lot of girly stuff, but my makeup interest is very deep lol! [Big Grin]

I'm also called "creatively insane" by a couple of my friends, thanks to my artsy-style of drawing [Big Grin] But thankfully, all of us are mad, it's only a few wonderful people who are insane [Smile]

--------------------
One for sorrow, two for mirth,
Three for a wedding, four for a birth,
Five for silver, six for gold,
Seven for a secret not to be told.
Eight for heaven, nine for hell,
And ten for the devil's own sel'.

Posts: 8 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like when people call me analytical. I mean it's not like I don't know I am, but it feels good to have it noticed. My mother once called me an acerbic critic of pop psychology. That made me happy. My high school English teacher once said something about my writing that sent me to cloud nine -- but I have forgotten what it was, dash it all.

I once told a friend I was in love with that the way she used slang was quite vigorous and expressive. My saying that was a heartfelt expression of what I was feeling, which was that there was nothing in the world I liked better than watching and listening to her talk.

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the people that I've known, at some time or another, have called me "fearless." [Smile]

I suppose that I do have a "Bring it on!" streak. This is exemplified when I challenge people who express discriminatory views against women to a debate right then and there. I've also had a tendency to confront bullies whenever I see them, which has landed me in plenty of trouble in the past. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitties20
Neophyte
Member # 95092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitties20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been told that i am very innocent and oblivious to the real world. i dont know if thats because my parents kept me sheltered, or because i chose to be that way myself.

but my friends always call me smart and helpful. they say i always go out of my way to help others.

i guess i help others, but sometimes i feel like its not enough. i always pictured myself doing something big. Something that would impact the world [Big Grin]

Posts: 24 | From: new york | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything positive you do helps the world. Even little things like saying "Thanks, have a good day." to a bus-driver each time you get off a bus, or each time you buy something at a shop, can mean a great deal, especially if you do it regularly.

You are positively impacting the world already. Do what you feel comfortable with - if you can get yourself (or are already at) a good place in your mind, body and heart, you can be doing positive things within your limits until the day you die (and will probably even do so afterwards, based on the accumulation of positive impacts on the world from your entire life). The great thing about being kind, especially giving sincere, kind words, is that very often it does not cost much financially to do so, but is almost always very worthwhile and appreciated by you and them. Just respect your limits and boundaries and be yourself, and you will already be helping the world a great deal! [Smile]

[ 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitties20
Neophyte
Member # 95092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitties20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, wesluck! that was so inspirational [Smile]
Posts: 24 | From: new york | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries! It's what I feel, and it seems to hold true. I'm glad that you found it uplifting! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day I was described as brave by my frind since I went to school wearing shorts without my legs shaved. She wanted to do the same thing but was too concerned about how people might react. I was pleased that she called me brave since I used to be so gosh darn uncomfortable about that, kind of like how I feel about not shaving my underarms and wearing a sleeveless shirt, or wearing a shirt but no bra. If I'm brave, well gosh darnit I guess I can do it! [Wink]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlight bouncing off water:
The other day I was described as brave by my frind since I went to school wearing shorts without my legs shaved. She wanted to do the same thing but was too concerned about how people might react. I was pleased that she called me brave since I used to be so gosh darn uncomfortable about that, kind of like how I feel about not shaving my underarms and wearing a sleeveless shirt, or wearing a shirt but no bra. If I'm brave, well gosh darnit I guess I can do it! [Wink]

I used to do that all the time in Grade 6 lol. I would go to school, wearing a sleeveless top and skirt in the summer, with my underarms and legs unshaved. Some boys in my class openly pointed it out to me and asked me to shave, while my teacher discreetly pulled me to the side and privately suggested that shaving may be something that I'd like to look further into. I guess, at that time, I just didn't care at all what other people thought of me, nor did I care for the various gender-related stereotypes people tried to box me into.

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"formidable"; "feisty".

My mum, said with respect, affection and pride. It means a lot to me because a person has to really Know me to know that (I don't "look" those descriptions, and don't bring aggression into my usual communication), and because she knew what it meant to possess those traits as a positive thing, to tap into the positive ways they can be used, and because she was recognising that I did that. She was one of very few people in the world who would list those at the top of "positive character traits" for me, and I know it's true, and I love that she thought so and saw it as a positive and something to respect and admire. She knew the full extent of it and she wasn't uncomfortable or afraid of it - she knew it wasn't anything to Be afraid of, but something to trust, to rely on, see achievements happen and justice done with. Well, she called me "scary" once too, but she was meaning to people who were harming others and people who were afraid of intelligent or outspoken women, so I took that as a compliment too [Smile]

Also, she was one hell of a formidable and feisty woman herself, and I learned it from her.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1704 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Redskies, I made a post for you on the Sexual Ethics and Politics sub-forum:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001501.html

Would you be able to to have a look at it and the link there and tell me what you think? I'd really appreciate it. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.