Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » TOWN HALL » Scarleteen Updates » Important Notice of Upcoming Board Changes on August 17th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Important Notice of Upcoming Board Changes on August 17th
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

From August 17th though September 7th, all of the current Scarleteen forums will be read-only. What that means is that all users may read the existing threads, but no new topics or replies may be posted, nor will we be accepting new registrations during that time. We also will not answer questions via e-mail, so please do not use the e-mail link at the boards for this purpose.

One "emergency" forum will be live during that time for crisis situations that current users may post to, and those posts will be answered only by volunteers and staff (advocates and sexperts). No other users will be able to post replies to that forum. In addition, an FAQ for each forum will be posted for quick answers which are already contained in the boards or on the site. Our volunteers are compiling those lists for you presently.

As we stated in the previous announcement, Scarleteen is in the midst of a dire financial crisis. We receive NO public or federal funding, and our private donations have been terribly low, and are very rarely made by our actual users, but instead by generous adults and parents. Our message boards are the largest drain of our finances and our energy, and we will thus be spending the weeks the boards are read-only trying to work out a way to make them manageable and affordable for us. This was the least disruptive solution to our current problems we could come to for the time being, and we are sorry to do so.

We will keep our users posted with regular announcements and updates as we make progress and seek solutions. In the interim, please consider making a donation. If only 25% of our users in one month donated just one dollar each, our overhead for well over a year would be paid, and our staff could be allowed a small stipend to help us to continue to have the time to be available at the boards without putting our own budgets in jeopardy. While we recognize that many of our users are minors, we also know full well that many minors spend far more than that amount monthly on entertainment alone. Please consider using just a fraction of your monthly expenditures -- even just that one dollar -- to help us continue what is clearly a valuable service, as attested to by the thousands of adults and teens who use it at no cost daily.

For more information on donation, see the donation page at: http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Per usual, the main site contains a wealth of information, as well as extensive links to additional sources of that information. Part of the trouble we have been having is due to users simply not taking the time to read the information published here, and instead, using the boards as a way to "skip a step" and save themselves time, with no thought to our own time and resources. While the boards are read-only, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the site itself and look for answers there first.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, that's awful. I wish I could do something to help. I'd donate some money, but all I could donate would be about five or ten dollars (I'm a minor, too young for a job, and my parents are stingy with money). If there IS anything I can do, let me know.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and if 40 people donated 5 bucks we'd be in such a better place right now. Ever bit helps babe, it really really does. I can only send 20, and while that's not enough to cover the site (haha, not close), it is a bit, and if more people sent in a bit we'd be covered
Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this I felt I really wanted to help... after all I spend so much time in here and this site has helped me in so many ways... I was wondering if I could send money (real notes), and the address I can send it to, as I think we have some dollars left around somewhere from when we were in the US Feel free to email me (the advocates have access to my email address, right?) if you think you shouldn't (or can't) post the reply here And thanx for everything!

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sallynha, did anyone ever contact you because of this?

Sending notes through the mail isn't a great idea, but if you really want to donate money, you could do so with an International Money Order, which you can "buy" at your local bank, send via mail, and MizS could then cash it in the US. However, this is all very very costly for you. I checked this option out (and I am in Europe, too), and with all exchanges and the fees for the Money Order, the end worth is pretty minimal. So if you'd like to do that, I strongly recommend you check out the fees at different banks. You could mail any money order to the addie given here at the donate info.

Otherwise hon, just do what you've been doing all along: post, start some cool topics and help keep the boards the great community that they are.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Alaska (I didn't have any other replies)

I'll go downtown someday and check with some banks what I'd have to pay for a Money Order ... if it is too expensive for me, I'll save up, and if I ever go to the US I post it from there hehe

I'll keep advertising Scarleteen on the internet (I have sent its link to a number of sites that have a "misc links" page etc), and keep on coming here

Thanks for the tips

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries, gal. And I already saw that lovely large banner on your website!

But really, above all: stay active here, and post good stuff. Let's not forget that that is what keeps this community going, as much as the money.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.