Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Trigger warning-I feel like I can't trust the police

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trigger warning-I feel like I can't trust the police
MissesGlass
Neophyte
Member # 47126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissesGlass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am continuing to lose faith in the police and our justice system. I have been in several abusive relationships, sexual and non-sexual and have extended contact with the police, one leading to a protective order and my moving several states away. Every time i try to do the right thing and report what happened to authorities I feel like there is either 1) not much they can do as long as I am not actually forcefully raped or 2) they just dont believe me, or do not believe that these problems are ones that will leave me scarred forever.

My most recent interaction with the police was due to this incident:
I had sexual relations with a friend's boyfriend's friend once. He was basically a jerk, but most recently what seriously alarmed me was when the next time, even though I told him I didn't want to go "all the way," he continued to physically persist to the point where i had to grab his penis and push it away from my body. After several actions like this, and pulling out his condom multiple times, which I told him to put away, I finally got angry enough for him to stop for a while. He came out of the restroom then put his hand inside of my underwear, then proceeded to try and replace his hand with his penis so that I would not realize what was happening. I freaked out, told him to leave, ("seriously?" "yes, get out. NOW") got in the bathroom and locked the door.

Next monday, i told the police what happened. Everything was fine and the detective assigned to my case was very sensitive and understanding. Several days later, I got a call from the detective telling me that he talked to the boy, who had a "different account of how things happened." i said I wasn't expecting anything different and that was that.

A couple months later, I went to the police to report a stolen phone. I saw the detective, who looked at me and recognized me. I said hi, and he turned around and shut the door that he was holding. Later, he came out to the lobby then sat right next to me, in the table I was waiting, continuing to ignore me completely.

This leaves me to conclude that whatever account that the boy gave the police had the detective convinced I was being a "drama queen" or a "stupid girl." I just feel like I confided in someone something so sensitive for me to share, in order to prevent further crime done by this wannabe rapist. Then, I was humiliated.

I feel like people that we are supposed to trust do not want to deal with these problems. They do not "like" me because they cannot just ignore me like they want to, but they have to pretend to fulfil their job. I am torn. I dont think that i will ever go to the police again and report anything like this. I want to move on from this incident but this sheer disrespect shown to me makes it hard for me to forget and move on. I just feel like there is no justice.

[ 09-21-2012, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: MissesGlass ]

Posts: 2 | From: US | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly understand feeling this way. Personally, I've struggled with this, too, and personally, I've had a bad experience myself (and with a violent rape: really, I'm afraid there's not any "kind" of sexual assault that guarantees sound treatment by any justice system).

Let's start with seeing what we can do to get you what you need right now, okay?

Have you connected with any sexual assault victim services or organizations? In other words, people, orgs or groups we *know* will treat you appropriately around this?

[ 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissesGlass
Neophyte
Member # 47126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissesGlass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your prompt response, Heather.

I have never reached out to any organization specifically for sexual assault. The detective initially told me of a rape crisis hotline which I have saved to my phone. It is unfamiliar to me and I would prefer not to talk on the phone but I am willing to try it. I tried to move on without talking about it but I'm becoming more convinced that that is not working for me.

Posts: 2 | From: US | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do give that hotline a call. You do not necessarily have to talk much on the phone if you do not feel comfortable with that - you can simply call and ask them to refer you to a rape crisis center near you, and then you can go there and talk to someone in person.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.