Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Question about past CSA experience :/ Any help or info would be lovely

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about past CSA experience :/ Any help or info would be lovely
jane2323
Neophyte
Member # 62289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jane2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Um, so I have an odd (Maybe?) question to ask, although I'm not sure if anyone knows any information regarding it.

My question is: Is there a way to obtain a police record (or some report, not specifically police reports) of a sexual abuse incident I experienced when I was 6 or 7?

I guess I'll further add background so this question doesn't seem so out of place.

When I was around 6 or 7, I was sexually abused by my female teenage neighbor. When my parents found out later that day, the police came over and interviewed me. I remember being so embarrassed and upset having to go into detail. However, after the police left, my parents had never asked me if I wanted to talk about it with someone, nor did they tell me what had happened wasn't my fault or that it was inappropriate and it shouldn't have happened. Instead, I guess they thought it was best to never acknowledge it and hope I'd forget about it?

Regardless, I'm 20 and in college. I'm actually studying in psychology and have a specific interest in one day wanting to work with survivors of sexual abuse and gender violence. But right now, I'm still held back by my past in regards to certain things. I've secretly been going to counseling (because my parents wouldn't be okay with it), but I still find this tremendous doubt in regards to what I remember from that event of being sexually abused.

I believe by my parents keeping silence around the event, it's made me feel as if maybe I imagined it all. I really believe I can remember most of what had occurred in my abuse, but I'd really like the opportunity to give myself peace of mind. I am stable enough to read a report of what had happened to me, I do know that. So the goal of obtaining the report would be to put a stop to these HUGE insecurities I have that keep me up at night. I want to be able to know with better confidence that what I can "recall" is accurate or not.

I don't believe I can even fully explain how and why this would be important to me. Plus, I believe it will help put me a step further in healing after all this time.

I had gone to the local police who would have the file of my police report, however, they sent me out after a quick no and weren't willing to answer any questions on what I could possibly do to try to get the report.

My counselor has no idea as well, and I don't feel comfortable discussing this issue with my parents because frankly they aren't very supportive of me in general. Along with that, I do recognize because my abuser was under the age of 18 when the abuse occurred, it further limits my possibilities.

I do hope this makes some sense, and if there are any questions about something I said that are needed to help clarify, please ask away. So sorry this is incredibly long as well. [Razz]

Thanks!

<3

Posts: 3 | From: Northeast US | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jane,

Police reports are normally a document of public record but because juveniles were involved they are restricted. I would suggest calling the City’s Attorney’s office (or their equivalent depending on the type of community) or the County’s Prosecutor’s office to see what your rights are, because it involved you directly, with obtaining a copy? The only other suggestion would be to try asking the Clerk of Courts office for the Juvenile Courts for that community. Good luck with this; I can understand how hard it could be with not knowing what happened. I commend you for seeking counseling; I know how much it helped me when I needed it. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.