Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » What would YOU do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would YOU do?
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you found yourself in an abusive relationship right now: what would you do? Where would you go? Who would you tell?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to God that I never end up in one, cos I'm not sure I'd be able to get out...
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yakri
Activist
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unlikely though this situation might be.

I'd take a firm mental hold of myself, and immediately get myself the hell out of the relationship. If I had any trouble doing this, I'd ask for help from a friend, or for advice on a forum like this one.

Personally, the only kind of abusive relationship I could see myself being in would be one where my partner to some extent ran my life, and the only real barrier to me getting myself out of that, would be realizing it was happening. Which I might not for quite a while given my personality type.

--------------------
Chin up and face the future, wonders beyond your wildest dreams await us!

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quickie: I think it's safe to say that most people who wound up/wind up in abusive relationships think it is or would have been unlikely for that to happen to them.

In fact, for many people being abused, one of the challenges to getting out of it usually is the shame involved in being in it, and feeling like they were sure they were smarter than that (though smarts has little to nothing to do with it), or just plain better than that (though again, how "good" someone is isn't a factor, either).

So, I suggest the best way for all of us to think about this is by starting with the knowledge that none of us are immune, and if it's likely we could get into any kind of relationship at all, it's probably just as likely we could get into one that's abusive.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hope that I'd be lucky enough not to have to make this decision.

But once I realized, I'd go either to my mom or to a forum like this one, or both, and try to understand how to get out without worrying about my partner trying to cause me more harm.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.