Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Sexual assault past triggers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexual assault past triggers
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. You guys might remember that post I had talking about how I was molested as a kid. Well, I'm having some issues about this crap. Which of course, everyone who's abused does.

First of all, my mom had told me a million times how I'm in an order of and the guy who touched me is legally not allowed to be in any part of my presence. But the problem is, I have dreams about being in his presence and my mom doesn't give a crap about it. Not only is he legally restricted, but he's morally not allowed. My mom wants nuttin to do with him. But when I have these dreams, I get scared and think it's real.

Also, my choir and I is singing a Michael Jackson song. Whenever we're practicing, it's always a little trigger for me, and ever since my stepdad was reported for the assault, I was scared of MJ until her died. And yeah, I know, "MJ is not a child molester. The kid was making it up." Great, your opinion. I take the kid's side. I believe MJ did assault him. Even if it is a lie, it's still a trigger. Especially considering the my step dad's name was Michael.

In fact, one time, some kid drew a picture of me and MJ with hearts around us, which pissed me off so much, I was ready to slap him! [Mad]

Sometimes I get all crappy think about like imagine if I still lived with him. I don't even like looking at him in pics. Can someone give me a piece of advice?

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. It can be a painful experience and it's completely natural for you to have these "triggers" or feelings.

I personally think that there is NOTHING wrong with you for feeling how you feel and for seeing things that remind you of the terrible thing in the past.

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ste-Funnie: have you had/been having any ongoing therapy around your childhood abuse at all?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather: What do you mean?

--------------------

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean: have you ever had, and do you have now, a counselor or therapist who has worked with you on healing from your abuse?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do. Why?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Have you talked with that counselor about this issue, and perhaps also asked that counselor to help have a conversation with you and your mother about how she can best address your triggers and feelings?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Well, I've talked to her about the dream about the child molester, but I haven't told her about the whole MJ trigger.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

What I hear you saying in this post is that you are unhappy with how your mother views or treats your nightmares and triggers. Have you shared that with your counselor and asked for her help with that?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Oh, well, I can't say I'm not happy with it, it just doesn't help, and yes I've told her that.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Did you ask your counselor about arranging a mediation session for you and your mother where the counselor could help bridge this gap?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

How would that help?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Because it may be your mother is responding the way that she is -- you seem to be saying she's blowing your fears off -- because she doesn't know how to respond in a different way or needs more information.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

No. You misunderstood. It's not her response thats causing it. The point is, I have dreams about him a lot, I tell my mom and she tells me how I'm in an order of protection. It doesn't help, nor does it make it worse. It just stays the same.

What else I need help with is the whole MJ triggers. Is there anyway I can cope it?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I didn't suggest it was the way she was responding that is causing your bad dreams or being triggered. I was responding to you saying she "doesn't give a crap about it." And now you seem to be saying the way she is responding isn't helpful, so yet again, your counselor could be of help in letting her know ways to respond that could be more helpful to you.

Your counselor should be helping you out by working with you on tools to manage triggers of any kind. It sounds like you're saying you need more help with that, so why not ask that person for that help?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

I'm a little confused. Come again?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Ste-funnie, I've been as clear as I know how to be, trying to reword this several different ways for you.

I don't know any other way to say what I have already, which is that I am suggesting you speak with your counselor about both of these things as I believe that is the best person to help you with them.

I'm sorry if that's not clear enough, but I can only devote so much time to any given thread or user, and I have to move on from this exchange now.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Okay then. Thanx for your help anyway. I'll talk to my councilor next time I see her.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.