Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » What happened to me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to me?
selizabeth
Neophyte
Member # 48148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selizabeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been months since this incident occurred, and I've tentatively identified it as sexual abuse. But I'm not sure. I grew up in a male-dominated, extremely sex-shy religion, and though I've left it, I still feel very ignorant about what passes for a healthy relationship.

So here's what happened. My (former) boyfriend, also raised in this religion, initiated sex. Then stopped, and announced that he was tired, and didn't feel like doing anything. I replied that I understood, it wasn't a big deal, and that we should both get some sleep. But then he started kissing and fondling me again. I was uncomfortable, especially since he'd said he was tired, and I said that was fine. I asked him to stop, and he said no, I know this is what you want. Eventually, I had to push him off of me to get him to stop, and when I did, he told me to stop being a diva. However, he did not initiate sex again. Two weeks later he told me he didn't love me anymore, and that was the end of the relationship.

What happened to me? Because I know something did. Something happened to me, and it was wrong. But I don't know what to call it, and I feel that I need to be able to identify it in order to deal with it properly. I could use advice. Guidance. Anything.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone trying to push someone into sex they have made clear they don't want is someone attempting a sexual assault/rape. So, if you need a very basic term for this to start dealing, attempted rape is what you are describing here.

That said, we're glad to talk with you about it. Both rape and attempted rape are traumatic experiences, and with you, you had an attempt compounded by a breakup. That's rough stuff, selizabeth. We're glad to talk as much as you want, but is there anyone in person you can also talk with and get support from?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selizabeth
Neophyte
Member # 48148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selizabeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that having a term makes me feel better, somehow. Like I'm not crazy. It helps me work against all these horrendous stereotypes I learned throughout my childhood and adolescence. Thing is, I reported his emotional abuse and harassment. And because his dad is the president of my university, nothing happened. My ex still has his job on campus. He got a front row seat at *my* graduation. In fact, he was the first person I saw when I got off the stage.

The local police (this is a village, really, the university's bigger than the actual town) told me there was nothing they could do. They took my report, and that's it. I moved. Changed my number. And he's walking around like nothing happened.

I'm in therapy, for multiple reasons. I haven't had an appointment in a while, and for some weird reason this event is something I have only recently identified as abuse. So it's something I definitely need to explore during therapy. It's already affected consequent relationships.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY OWN LOVER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An incident happened over my besties house.her dad kept touching me everywhere.He touched my boobs,bottom,and my vag.I didnt know what to do.My aunt was mad becauseI didnt tell her.I told her alot of times that I wasnt going to tell anyone and she needed to be glad that I told anyone.

--------------------
it is good for teens to learn about this stuff

Posts: 13 | From: Virginia Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY OWN LOVER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a form of assult or abuse???

--------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Virginia Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if your friend's father touched you in the way you're describing, that's sexual assault.

I'm sorry to hear that your aunt was so unhelpful in her response. Is there someone else that you can confide in and get some more support from?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9177 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

I now hve support from her.She told me that she was sorry it was just that I didnt tell her first.I am kinda still mad at her but it is all good.Now that that incident happened I feel uncomfortable around men.

--------------------

MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

And yes I have my mentor and most of my family that I could confide in.

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear that you have such a great support system.

Have you looked into counseling at all to help you deal with the fears you have now?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9177 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

Not really. My counseling is talking to people that I trust.It may me a good idea to be put in counseling now that I think about it.

--------------------

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People that you trust" can include a counselor. It might take a few sessions before you're entirely comfortable and trust them, but counselors are generally very good at their job. Once you find that you feel a connection with and can trust them, it's an invaluable resource to use that will be very helpful for your healing process.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY OWN LOVER
Neophyte
Member # 56530

The thing is that it has almost been a year and i still do not feel comfortable around men.That just bothers me.I am not even comfortable around males thatare in my family.Is this normal????????

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.