Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » best friend's rape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best friend's rape
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out today that my best friend's ex-boyfriend, an emotionally abusive and possessive and overall despicable person, apparently "sold" my friend's body several times for drugs - without her consent. She was raped several times by several different guys through an agreement her then boyfriend made with these rapists to get drugs. God even typing this is completely freaking me out.

So. My question. I believe all of this happened over a year and a half ago, and my friend never reported any of it to the police. Is it too late? Especially since I believe she was on drugs during the rapes so I'm not sure she could identify any of the rapists? Could her horrible ex-boyfriend at least be prosecuted?

She's been in therapy for years so I'm hoping her emotional safety with regards to this is being taken care of. I just don't want these men to rape anyone else.

Thanks.

[ 05-18-2010, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Lilerse ]

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The statute of limitations in Indiana on this would be between 2 and 5 years, depending on the specifics of the case.

Has your friend talked at all about wanting to report this? I hear you saying that YOU would not feel safe knowing that he's free to do this again, but as much as I can understand that fear, this really is about what your friend wants and what she feels comfortable with. If she wants to go ahead and report the rape, then the best person for her to talk to would be her counselor. However, if that's not something she's interested in doing, then that's fine, too.

[ 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about California? That's where she lives and where she was raped. And could you explain statue of limitations?
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The statute of limitations is the amount of time after a crime was committed during which the perpetrator can still be prosecuted.

The law for California is a bit trickier, and the statute of limitations may also depend on your friend's age at the time. But as near as I can make out, if she was over 18 when it happened, it's 3 years. Again, if your friend is interested in pressing charges, the best person to talk to about this is her therapist. They will know more about the legal specifics, or at least be able to point her towards someone who does.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.