Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » neighbor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: neighbor
dcblonde
Neophyte
Member # 24313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcblonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really not sure what to do in this situation, if anything. I live in an apartment building and, since returning after winter break less than two weeks ago, I've heard through one of my walls several times the sound of a man and woman screaming at each other, but I had never heard specifically anything that was said until tonight. There was some banging aound, and I clearly heard the woman yell "stop" and then "You're hurting me". Very shortly after that, the yelling and noises stopped, and the entire incident only lasted about ten minutes. I've never met the neighbor in the apartment it seemed to be coming from.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi dcblonde,

If that ever happens again (I hope not!), I would recommend calling the police. You could also talk to management about this now but they may or may not be of help, depending on how seriously they take these things. A friend of mine had a problem where she'd regularly overhear domestic violence disbutes and what later was substance abuse in the apartment below her. Management was not helpful (even telling her and her partner they were worrywarts when someone shot a gun!) but the police did deal with it. My friend ultimately moved but domestic violence disrupts are an unfortunate reality far too often. [Frown]

I think it's important to do something but also protect yourself, like versus knocking on their door. However, perhaps you could introduce yourself to all of your neighbors at some point during a lull (you could bring a friend if you don't feel comfortable doing it alone.) That way, you also can have other people to go to in an emergency as well as watch out for each other. If you feel ok discussing this with another neighbor, you could also ask them if they hear anything and if they've ever done anything. (Too often people don't!)

This is a tough situation to be in: I wish you luck and hope that you and your female neighbor stay safe.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.