Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Celebrities Speaking Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Celebrities Speaking Out
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 14 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this story today through another site. It's about Margaret Hoelzer, the Olympic swimmer, who came out about her childhood sexual abuse after winning three medals at the Beijing Olympics.

It's pretty awesome to me when someone uses their position of fame to raise awareness about such important issues, and even more amazing when they so bravely are speaking about their own experiences. I think it gives us all hope when we see people who have overcome such great obstacles go on to do huge things. So let's have this thread be a discussion ground for that, where we can post articles we've seen about other celebrities speaking out about their experiences or raising awareness about issues of abuse, rape, and incest.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The singer Jessica Simpson have also spoke up a while ago about her own experience with abusive relationships and did make a song about it, too : http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1606969/20090313/simpson_jessica.jhtml

I really think that is great because it can also encourage other persons to speak up, too, and I also think that celebrities telling you to get out of an abusive relationship can have an impact and make a difference for some people.

It's just so sad though to hear some of the comments those celebrities, or in fact anyone, sometimes get after speaking up about such things. Just take a look at some of the comments she's gotten right below that article if you are wondering what I'm talking about.

[ 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.