Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » jamaica

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: jamaica
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone knew what the sex laws are in Jamaica regarding age limits, and molestation. I've tried searching but haven't found anything on it. Thanks!
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Age of consent appears to be 18. For specific ages in regards to punishments for sex crimes, this site goes into more detail: http://www.interpol.int/public/Children/SexualAbuse/NationalLaws/csaJamaica.asp

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I have kind of a dilemma with this now, so I guess I'll try to briefly share my story. Anyways, I was away with my parents on a resort in Jamaica, many of the staff on the resort like to hit on the girls. A lot of them are supposed to entertain the guests, so it can be hard to tell if they are just being friendly or wanting more. Anyways one of the guys said he liked me and wanted to hang out for a bit, so I said okay. I realize this was a mistake, but I did want to get away from my parents for a bit, and I didn't think he would do anything, but right away he tried to get me to kiss him. I pushed him off told him I didn't want to I had a boyfriend, etc. etc. This did not stop him, he told me he didn't want be to leave he loved me, why didn't I want to kiss him, he wants me all to himself bla bla bla. Now, not only did I not appreciate him trying to pressure me when I said know, I didn't appreciate trying to be "tricked" in a sense, into thinking this was something emotional so I should do it.He basically wouldn't let me go and kept trying to kiss me and touch me. I kept turning my head away, moving his arms, pushing him back, telling him I didn't want to do anything. He kept thinking something was wrong, why didn't I want to, not understanding that nothing could be wrong, I just don't want to and that I have a boyfriend. He kept saying I'm not going to force you but he continually did. At one point he said if you don't kiss me I'll never speak to you again, I said, you're trying to threaten me? And he said no no no I'm not gonna hit you. And I got the feeling that he felt as long as he didn't have to physically hold me down, what he was doing was okay. I did have to physically push him off me, but if he had wanted to, he could have overpowered me.

ANyways, onto another night. I was sitting alone and one of the staff members approached me. I didn't really talk to him much, there were some other people on the beach (a mix of staff and female guests) that were smoking, and the security was coming over, so me and the other guy left since we didn't want to get mixed in with that crowd. He said he just wanted to sit and talk but he just kept trying to kiss me, eventually I just left. He continually approached me every day, I would mostly ignore him and tell him I didn't want to hang out and such. And yet the next day he would always come and tell me I stood him up the night before and would continually try to talk to me still. Finally on the last day I gave in and said I would have one drink with him and thats it. He obviously tried to get a lot more than that, and was touching me. Again I had to use physical strength to push him off and continually told him no and i didn't want to. It went further and further, he eventually put his hand down my pants, and it took a few seconds to push him off. He also kept asking me to suck him off and have sex with him I felt pretty violated with both guys. Although, I guess what irks me most about this is that I didn't just leave. This situation was easier to get out of than the last. I've no idea why i didn't. I knew I should have. I guess I was just tired and wanted to relax by the beach and was just annoyed that I couldn't and bitter. While these were the only two guys that tried anything, I was approached all week whenever I was alone and I started to become very bitter to all of the men that worked there, and it was pretty emotionally draining, so I think I was just to worn out.

Anyways, I met 2 15 year old girls there, and they both had similar complaints. One of them was even hit on by the same guy as me (the first one). She was so shocked that he had hit on anyone else, because he had fed her the same I love you I want to be with you etc. etc. and thought he really meant it. I told her after I had told him I didn't want to hang out anymore I saw him leave with a different girl every night. Anyways, the other girl also complained of being pressured, and I think she did some stuff with one of the staff, but I think it was consensual.

Anyways, to the Dilemma part, I wrote an email expressing my concern over what happened to me, and mentioned the other complaints I had heard, specifically from underage girls. I didn't want to mention names, I would feel awful if the staff got fired, because it would most likely sentence them to living in poverty and having to find some other way to get money. In Jamaica this usually doesn't work out to well. But the resort emailed me back and asked me for the names so they could discipline them. I'm not sure what to do. What they did wasn't that serious. Other than a little gropign and some pressuring I was out of the situation unharmed. I also could have done more to avoid both situations, although that doesn't make what they did okay. I'm also not sure if they thought it was bad, I'm not sure if they have the same "no means no" culture over there (it sure didn't seem like it). At the same time I don't know for sure if they will be fired. Its just that I bet no one speaks up about it, because they think it's not that bad because nothing happened, or it's expected because it's on a resort etc. etc. I just don't know what to do. I'm pretty upset about all of this, but I know I'll be fine in a few days. SO do you think it would be worth it to give names.

Sorry this turned out to be not so brief

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would certainly say what you are describing is something a complaint should be filed about. "A little groping" and what you are describing here is sexual harassment, at best, and attempted rape, at worst, and while you're saying it wasn't THAT big of a deal to you (though I also hear you saying that it was, so I'd check in with yourself to see why you feel like you need to diminish it), other girls and women may not be as resilient, or as capable of defending themselves or not caving to those pressures and coercion. I'd also bear in mind that you have no way of knowing who all this is being done to: you met two other 15-year-old girls, but for all you know, there were a few 12-year-olds this happened to you didn't meet, or other girls who were assaulted but who you did not meet or who did not disclose to you.

For sure, this may mean these guys are out of a job, but if their job is that important to them, one'd think they'd not harass or attempt to rape women at it. I hear you with concerns about cultural differences and cultural sensitivity, but whether or not a given culture does or does not condone rape and sexual harassment, I think we all know pretty clearly it just isn't okay and it does people real harm, and certainly a deeper harm than the loss of a job can do (even though I don't think we need to compare like that in the first place).

As well, looking at the laws in Jamaica, I think you can see clearly how it is obviously considered criminal behaviour.

[ 12-27-2008, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67102 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Well, I sent in their names, and I guess I felt better after I did it.

When talking about how it affected me, I obviously don't think it will be something that will just be completely okay, I've been feeling a little more aversive to sex at times, and other times feel no effect at all. I think the biggest effect (affect? effect? still haven't figured that one out yet [Razz] ) it will have on me is kinda staying away from random guys hitting on me a little more when going out with friends and especially when alone-which I don't really think is a bad thing, it will probably just have me on the edge of my seat a bit more regarding guys, for a little while at least. But I'm sure i will relax about it in a little bit, especially after I find out what happened to the guys.

Thanks again for the advice.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I agree with you that having your radar turned up when it comes to creeps is never a bad thing.

If you need to talk more about this, you know where to find us.

It's effect, by the by, and here's this for you for your future grammatical endeavors: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx [Big Grin]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67102 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.