Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » trust after sexual harrassment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trust after sexual harrassment?
Member # 40870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amy.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 7, my neighbor stuck his hands down my pants. That was all that happened, nothing more, nothing less. I suppose he fingered me (what else would he do) but my memory is blurry. However, this has effected me in my life. Well also, my Dad cheated on my Mom so that may also be why. I have a hard time trusting people, (especially guys), and I'm very prude. It takes a VERY long time for me to open up to people, I'm bad at showing my emotions. I feel like this should not effect me as much as it should. Should I go to counseling?

[ 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: amy. ]

Posts: 4 | From: wouldntjaliketoknow? | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
early experiences can have a very strong effect on how you view the world, so it is not uncommon for this to have such an impact on you. Often, when things happen early that are had to understand, it becomes ingrained as part of who we are, and it is very hard to change on our own. So I would recommend counseling, they can help to recognize what the problem areas are, and how to overcome and change things.
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
amy, what hunnybunny said is accurate: early childhood abuse can often have an impact later on in life. The way that people react to certain situations is going to be different for each person. No reaction is incorrect or wrong (unless someone is resorting to violence against another person). Counseling may be very helpful for you in helping you to open up to people. If you want to give us your general location, we'd be glad to help you find some resources in your area. If you don't feel comfortable doing so in a public forum, you can use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of the page to email your location.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.