Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Have a family member whos been abused?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have a family member whos been abused?
foreversmiling
Neophyte
Member # 40748

Icon 5 posted      Profile for foreversmiling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little over a year ago, my sister was raped. The worst part about it was that it was by an uncle. My sister went to counciling but eventually stopped, making everyone think she was over it, that she was healed. She seemed happier. Things in her life were going pretty good. She was engaged and was completly in love with her Fiance'.

But about a month ago she cheated on her Fiance' and broke the engaged off. She's now living with the guy she slept with and we are worried about her getting into drugs.

Anyways I was just wondering how family members(sisters, mothers, brothers...) have dealt with a family member being abused. How they've coped.

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you might also want to bear in mind that she may have terminated that relationship for any number of reasons. very often, when someone has been raped, we'll find that people suggest our rape is at the heart of every bad (or even just bad from someone else's view, not our own) choice we make, every trouble we have, every mistake.

So, why are you concerned she'll develop a drug problem? And what it is that makes you feel that her abuse is an issue right now?

Perhaps more importantly, since you're asking for help to deal yourself, what do you feel like you need help dealing with? How has her rape impacted you, and in what ways are you troubled?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.