Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » internet dating.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: internet dating.
alwaysworrying
Neophyte
Member # 36364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alwaysworrying         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been hanging out since September. I haven't gotten the chance to meet his mom yet and my mom is thinking it's really weird, save the fact my boyfriend and I are both adults (19 & 22). His mom works during the week and spends time with his grandmother during the weekends and we just haven't had a good opportunity. How bad is it that I haven't gotten to meet his mom yet? I told my mom that she needs to butt out of my personal life (this is the first time I've told her this) as I am an adult now and she needs to "cut the umbilical cord" sooner or later. I hate how damn nosy she is.

Actually, the real reason I am so defensive with her is because I met him online back in June and since meeting him in person, I have seen a tumultuous, emotional side of him and her constant persistence keeps me worrying.

Should I actually think he's weird because I haven't met his mom? Sometimes I just want to get out of the relationship because I hate the fact we basically had to lie to be together. He also gets very emotional and that's another reason I just want to end it sometimes. I guess I'm afraid he'll kill himself.

Do you think it's ridiculous I haven't met his mom yet? Do you think that, since I met him online, he's destined to be a creep?

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually have an article on this very subject you'd probably like to read:

Getting Real: Relationships on the Net

I'm concerned not so much by the not-meeting-family part, but more so that you state you had to "lie" to be together, and that you've seen a part of his personality that he perhaps concealed. Would you like to talk a bit more about that?

In general, the Internet is a good way to meet people, but not a good place to date. Once you meet someone, just because you got to know them over the computer doesn't mean you made a shortcut and are ahead; that was one carefully controlled, rewritten, and rethought-and-sent part of them, and you still have to get to know them to decide if something's there. Some folks forget this, and it can have disappointing results.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to add, why are you afraid that he'll kill himself? Has he threatened to do that if you leave him?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.