Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Where to begin...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to begin...
OnceRespected
Neophyte
Member # 25702

Icon 9 posted      Profile for OnceRespected     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend of mine was raped by an ex-boyfriend, she was drunk and high and he was not. She dosen't remember saying no, but she does remember asking him to to stop. She got her period the day after it happen, but now her following period is over two weeks late. The incident occured in water, but I am not sure if that makes a difference. He did not use protection, and she was no longer on birth control (for which I take partial responsability for since I was one of the people who told her to stop taking it since she was single and was planning on waiting until she was engaged or in a comitted relationship to have sex)

Questions:

1) Could she be pregnant, she is younger than me and very emotional, I don't want to put her through taking a pregnancy test if I don't have to.

2) This happened over a month ago, does she have any legal options with the physical evidence long gone and she doesn't remember saying no (there was also another boy there, she doesn't remember what he did)

3)She was (and still is in my mind) a vigin before this happened, I am worried about her emotional health, how do I help? The boy who did this was an ex and now he won't talk to her about what happened?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From: New York, New York, United States | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) It seems unlikely that she would be pregnant from this, because she had a period after the rape. However, because she is two weeks late, i would suggest a pregnancy test anyway. It IS stressful, but it will also be a solid answer as to whether or not she is pregnant. If she IS pregnant, she'll have decisions to make, and the sooner she knows, the longer she has to make them.

2) I believe she does still have legal options, if she would like to press charges. The best people to ask here is your local police. I would just go to the station and say you'd like to report a rape (her, not you, of course ... you can go with her, if you'd like).

3) The best you can do for your friend right now is try to support her the best you can. Go with her to buy and take the pregnancy test ... Go with her to the police station ... Let her know that you are available to talk at all hours, and want her to come to you. There are professional services that deal with this though, and she also needs to seek those out. She should have a GYN exam and STI screen as well ... And you can go with her to those too, if she wants you to.

I will look for services in your area and get back to you.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found an awesome list of resources here ... It lists everything from hospital rape centers (where she can have the GYN exam and STI screen) to counseling to legal services. There are also hotlines if she has any questions or isn't ready to speak to anyone in person yet. (She DOES need to speak to someone in person sooner rather than later though, so you need to encourage her to do so).

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.