Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Our Archives » Frequently Asked Questions » Loosing weight....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loosing weight....
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any diet plans for teenagers to try? I know that I am supposed to eat healthy foods, but I guess I just need some guidance and for someone to basically tell me what to eat and do, lol. If anyone has any ideas or thinks they can help me, please reply, I would really appreciate it!

Thank You!

------------------
~Diosa~
[ Don't know what it means?...Ask me :) ]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to loose weight healthily, especially as a teen, you should definitely consult a doc or a dietitian. They can help you determine whether you need to loose weight in the first place, set a plan that is healthy and right for you.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska~

How do I find a dietian in my area? I have a physical every six months or so and the doctor says I am a little chubby,lol, and just says to play sports and eat healthy, but I still don't know what I am doing worng because nobody actually tells me what to eat, and that' what I need!

Thanks

------------------
~Diosa~

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try looking one up in the phone book, in your area. I'm sure that they have some in there.

Talk to your parents see what they say about you seeing a dietition. If you are young, you still are growing, and may loose that *baby fat* over time. Remember its always good to have a little skin on you. You don't want to look to thin.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good onya for getting regular physicals! Why don't you make an appointment with your doc to discuss your weight specifically and ask him to help you find a dietitian?

Your doc can most likely refer you to someone who's good. I most definitely wouldn't go the yellow pages route, because there are tons of evil not well meaning diet programs around, too, and you want to see someone who is well educated and has your health as his/her best interest, not the money you pay.
Over here, health insurance companies have dietitians, too, and you can visit them & get consultations for a very low charge or for free, but I suspect it might be different in the US.

I'd definitely ask your doc for a start. I bet (s)he can help here.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

I think that is a good idea Alaska and I will keep that in mind, but do you know how much it would cost for a dietian and do they actually give you a plan to follow and don't just tell you that you should eat the basic five fruits/veggies a day and 3 healthy meals?

------------------
~Diosa~

Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dieticians will vary in price according to your insurance and normal rates in your area...

Usually, Dieticians will give you as much guidance as you feel you need to maintain a healthy weight - if you feel like you need a really specific plan, most dieticians will be happy to oblige!

As far as some ideas on slimming down, here's some that have worked for me:

Increase your physical activity - Try walking, riding your bike, dancing, yoga - anything that gets you moving and burns calories

Stay away from fried foods and processed foods - (like lunchables, frozen dinners, pizza bites, etc) - these foods are high in fat and don't provide many of the nutrients you need.

Eat lots of fruit and veggies - So chock full o nutrients, yet so low in calories!

Only eat until you are full - eat slowly, and stop as soon as you feel satisfied.

Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water per day - avoid soda, which is either jam-packed full of sugar, or contains artificial sweetner, which is pretty nasty.

Keep a food diary - yeah, i know it sounds cheesy, but just write down everything you put in your mouth for a week. That way, you'll get an idea of what kind of eater you are, as well as identifying foods you tend to overindulge with (for me, it is chocolate

These are a good place to start, but I think a dietician can help you with more specific questions!

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you talk to your doctor I'm sure that he will give you a price range...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the dietitian will go into it as completely as you feel necessary. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I know sometimes doctors don't always explain or elaborate but they're always happy (or should be at least) to answer your questions. Check out what your doc has to say and act on that
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced that there are some really really nice doctors out there that if you can't afford their regular prices, they are willing to negotiate with you down to a price that you can afford.

My general physician (technically, internal medicine) and dermatologist (they're married) did this when they decided to no longer accept HMO insurance. For those patients and others, they offered to talk with those patients and dicuss a special price for them on an individual basis so that all their patients could continue seeing them. They're really cool though. I'm sure you'd be able to find dieticians that are willing to do the same thing if you shop around a little. If possible, try talking to the doctor him/herself and explain your situation, including your financial one.

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Diosa,

I thought about this some more and was wondering whether you discussed this with your parents yet and what they think about getting on a better diet.

I remembered today how a friend of mine in high school got together with her mom (who cooked everything for the family and was responsible for the food and all), took a healthy cooking & eating class and they both decided to change their eating habits for the better together. - And the rest of the family had to adapt, too. *lol* It sure was easier to change the eating style with everyone else, and my friend also enjoyed the extra time and activity with her mom and the new skills they learned. It wasn't about dieting really, but about learninf new skills and gently changing habits for the better. And they changed their eating habits for good, to low fat, mostly organic, pretty much vegetarian.In addition, my friend's mom joined a walking group in the mornings and my friend got busy with sports in a club, too.

Just an idea, really. Depends of course a lot on time available, whether your family is at all interested in this and whether it's at all practical for you.

Just thought I'd share. I would have loved to do something like this with my mom when I was younger (because I always struggled with food alone and had disoreded eating for ages), but she never had the time and it just wouldn't have worked for us.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, a question I can answer!

Call your local hospital. They have nutritionists on staff that can help you for free or for reasonably low fees. Also, lots of county hospitals have classes on healthy eating especially for teenagers or for those who need help with losing weight.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbabe4u
Neophyte
Member # 2473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetbabe4u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor the other day about my weight. This is what she told me to do. and I done it and so far i've lost 10 pounds

1) Eat that Total cereal or whole-grain something similar to that. Make urself eat it if you dont like it. (I did eww)
2) Don't eat white potato's or any white veggies or bread or pasta. (thats hard for me to cuz potatos are my ONLY fav veggie)
3) exercise (normally)
4)no soda's try water instead or diet soda
5)dont eat no sweets except for one day a week. *example* Lets say Friday is your day to eat whatever u like, (this is what she told me exact words) "You can eat whatever you want, even a WHOLE choc cake" (sounds good but makes u sick trust me so I suggest not tryin it lol)
6) On through the week and your having a bad craving for a candy bar it's fine go ahead and get one. JUST ONE though!
7) You can eat Ice Cream whenever. any day of the week. (kinda stupid) But to help you out I wouldn't eat alot cuz it's a fatty food.

Well This has helped me out alot so..oh you should only loose about 2 pounds a month. I don't know how I lost the 10 pounds in that 1 month but I did.
Good Luck

luv ya,
ashley

Posts: 14 | From: AR | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, i gotta argue with sweetbabe's reply.

it's not a good idea to cut complex carbohydrates out of your diet. don't eat them in excess, but you still need them as your primary source of fuel. if you don't eat breads and starches, your body begins to rely on protein breakdown as its source of energy. it's an inefficient process. your body gets accustomed to doing things that way, so that when you do have starches again, it automatically goes into fat storage. not good.

it's best to get the right amount of starch to fuel your body, eat plenty of fiber, and just lay off the snacks. keep well hydrated. get exercise. yeah, you've heard all that crap before, but there's a reason why you keep hearing it -- it works!

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Okay, say for instince I followed all your tips, is it possible to loose 10 pounds by august?

[This message has been edited by Diosa (edited 07-05-2001).]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
diosa, yes it is possibly to drop the weight by august, but please don't rush your body. make sure you eat *correctly* and get proper exercise. don't do any turbo-trend dieting 'cause that never works and only wrecks your metabolism.

and really, what's more important? losing mass or toning your body? TONING! yeah!

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Well, for me it is loosing weight, than toning. I am short, so I don't want to get bulky, yah know? I don't WANT to do anything drastic, but sometimes if things don't work fast enough I get to the point where I give up and try and do something that will hurt my body.

I have been on and off dieting for a while and tried "this and that" and I think I might have already messed up my metabolism. I confided in my bestfriend about my weight issue and she suggested that I might wanted to talk to someone "professional" like a theropist, but I don't think that would be any fun, lol. I think if I lost weight, I would gain more confidence and me happier. I don't want to loose weight for others, but mainly fo myself. I often get so depressed about it that I get angry at others and have a short temper, I wish I was not like this, but I really don't know what else to do.

I really appreciate ALL your advice and I am going to work on following through on them!

------------------
~Diosa~

cutie
Neophyte
Member # 4245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about food diet, the key is: LOW CARBO AND HIGH PROTEIN
although i also agree with gumdropgirl about the carbo(your body gets used to not having any so then when you start eating them again it stocks up like fat) so dont cut them out too much.
also about the dieticians, make sure you find a good one and dont blindly listen to whatever the first person that comes along will say. The best person to judge whats good for your body is YOU, cuz you're the only one that knows how you feel
another suggestion: try registering to a gym, (not necessarily a super top notch training gym where theres only big bulky, stero´d-filled people working out!) but simply like the YMCA (thats what i did, AND I FEEL GREAT!!!!!)

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Follow the basic food pyramid guidelines, drink lots of water and step up the amount of exercize you get. DO NOT go on a crash starve yourself diet. Your body evolved in times of food scarcity, not food plenty. Thus if your body gets the message about a possible famine, it will react by slowing down your metabolism and trying to store more fat to survive the next famine. If you try to starve yourself you will go through the weight yo-yo and each high will get higher and each low will get higher. Cut down on the fats and sweets, increase the amounts of fruits and veggies (ie instead of a candy bar, have some grapes or an apple). In your exercize include some stregth training (ie weights, not maxing out but many reps). Muscle mass tends to consume more calories than fat mass. Your worksouts should be apx 2/3 cardiovascular (running swimming biking etc.) and 1/3 strength (weights, calestenics, isomtrics). Don't shoot for the moon over night, look for a slower but steadier pace of weight loss.

------------------
"and these three, faith hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love"

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosa
Neophyte
Member # 4157

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Diosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past month I've tried "most" of your ideas. I have decided to do weight watchers (my friend did it and lost 30lbns without exercise!!) I already lost 5 in 5 days, so I am happy and content with the program reight now! Thanks for the advice!!

-Diosa

------------------
~Diosa~

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.