Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » Our Archives » Frequently Asked Questions » bikini shaving...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bikini shaving...
aquaholic17
Neophyte
Member # 3462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aquaholic17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bikini area is very sensitive and I have a lot of hair in that area. When I shave, I get a lot of itchy red, visible bumps. I'm a lifeguard, and I teach lessons in the summer everyday, so this has become quite the problem. I have tried waxing, and using the creams that remove hair. I tried different shaving creams and all. But, still, the itchiness and redness appears. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to reduce or prevent this from occuring? Please help me!
Posts: 12 | From: Can-ad-a | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I don't have much experience with shaving my bikini area (I haven't tried it very often) I can only suggest waxing. Although, that will probably still have the same effect on your skin. Mine has done that too, about every time I've tried it I've gotten little itchy bumps- some people just have extra sensitive skin. Sometimes putting baby powder or lotion helps for me, and I think there are creams out there that can reduce the itchiness and redness. Those are my only ideas, besdies the waxing (which hurts like h*ll). Even then, when it starts growing back, you'll probably still get a rash.

Or could it just be shaving creams all together? Maybe soap would help (although it tends to dry out your skin) or an electric ladies shaver? Maybe somebody else will have some better ideas.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old lifeguard dilemma . I'm one, too.

I've given up on having clean-shaven legs and a bikini zone. I can bareky shave once a week without my legs bursting into red dots. So, I wear a towel around my waist. Usually, noone notices.

As far as lessons go, I tend to walk around with arms infront of me when I haven't shaved for a few days .

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amante
Neophyte
Member # 3474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amante     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how you can solve this problem but I think that the red dots are from when you get an ingrowing hair. They're very painful and that's what causes the itching.
You could try asking a doctor if they've got special creams for this.
-nikki-

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have the same problem. My guess is that some of the dots can be ingrown hairs, but when I do my bikini line I always get like the red skin and the dots that become itchy sometimes.

I've used a variety of methods like waxing, shaving, and those creams and gels, and with either of them I get that redness. I think it's just skin down there is thinner and more sensitive, and as we have a lot of hair there it's always violent for the skin and pores taking all of it off, so that's the way of the skin reacting.

You can "treat" it by buying something like a gel or cream specially made to apply after waxing or shaving. Once when i bought a lady's shaving kit it came with this kind of gel, that was even flavoured strawberry or something I got that at the supermarket, so I guess you might find something similar. Probably in drugstores, chemistries or pharmacies they'll be available too.

This is, if that redness is temporary, like mine, after a few days it will calm down (although it never disappears in me, as my hair is very thick so the pores do get "bumpy").

As for the ingrown hairs, I was advised, at the beauty salloon where I go for waxing, by the lady there to use a cream that made hair weaker and treated it.

If neither of those things help and it's not temporary, or you feel it's something more serious you could always see a doctor or dermathologist that can advise you on any treatment.

Hope that was useful

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aquaholic17
Neophyte
Member # 3462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aquaholic17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I really hope that I can find something to solve this embarrassing and unavoidable problem! I know I should never have started to shave in that area, it's gotten way out of hand. I'll see if I can bring up the confidence to see a doc about it, maybe he'll have some solutions. Anymore solutions or tips to easier shaving, please keep letting me know!
Posts: 12 | From: Can-ad-a | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to wear a specific swimming costume? I'd imagine that you probably do, but if by some chance you don't, you can always get some boy-leg swimmers, in which case your bikini line isn't visible anyway.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or that kind of swim suit shape from the 60's (?) it shows less of your bikini line

My advice, if you want a clean bikiny line that will last longer, is to go to a beauty salloon or something like that where they do waxing, and wax your bikini line. It will last almost one month, and the job is clean and effective. Plus there they can advise you on something to use afterwards or even apply themselves.

I go to one every summer, I get my legs and bikini line waxed. The first couple of times it can hurt a bit, but we're grown ups and we get used to that little discomfort, as it's for a good cause.

It's really the best solution if you want to be carefree for longer, and it's the solution that will make your bikini line look best

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in addition to beppie's ideas: if you do have to wear a specific bathing suit, maybe you could wear some guy's trunks over top. i've done this before and it's quite comfy!
Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey aquaholic -

It might be a good idea to try an anti-inflammatory, like Motrin or IB-Profen before you get a wax. This may help prevent some irritation and/or swelling underneath your skin.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aquaholic17
Neophyte
Member # 3462

Thanks guys! Wow, what a lot of help I am getting, I am so happy! When I teach lessons, I can wear a tankini, but not a bikini, so I think I'll buy some boy cut bottoms, and that would really help me out! I think i'll try the bikini wax, professionally done. I've done it to myself, and OUCH! Anyways, keep the ideas coming! I'm loving this!!!

*AqUaHoLiC*

~You can paint a pretty picture, but you can't predict the weather~

Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard from a few people that Nads works really well. Supposedly if you use it enough, the hair will go away permanently.
Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aquaholic17
Neophyte
Member # 3462

what is nads and where do i get it?
Lee9876
Neophyte
Member # 3522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee9876     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who wax: What do you do while it's growing back, but still too short to wax again?????
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nads is on an infomercal. My Aunt got that stuff, and she didnt like it that much. I tried it and it was OK. It taste pretty good though. No I didnt eat a whole globergoop, just stuck my finger in and tasted a little.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetBeyond
Activist
Member # 3250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever think of the way you're shaving can make you itchy? If you shave down, towards your legs, the bumps tend to be less (If I shave upward, I get cuts and bumps, but if I shave down, I get nothing). Are you using a new razer? Using lots of water? Lotion afterward? All these things can lead to bumps and cuts. So, shave downward with a new razer in the shower and put lotion on afterward and you SHOULD be good to go, otherwise, I don't know how to help you.
Posts: 63 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
- Missy-
Neophyte
Member # 3534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for - Missy-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had that problem when I started shaving my bikini area and my mother told me to use Aloe Vera lotion, I did and it got rid of the itch and the bumps that the shaving had cause so I suggest Aloe Vera lotion to all of you that are having the problem that should really help to clear things up. Hope I helped. Email me if you have any other advice.

------------------
-Missy (mysibear@netstorm.net)

Posts: 6 | From: Tucson,AZ,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic17:
My bikini area is very sensitive and I have a lot of hair in that area. When I shave, I get a lot of itchy red, visible bumps. I'm a lifeguard, and I teach lessons in the summer everyday, so this has become quite the problem. I have tried waxing, and using the creams that remove hair. I tried different shaving creams and all. But, still, the itchiness and redness appears. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to reduce or prevent this from occuring? Please help me!

Yup! Simple: don't shave. I'm a lifeguard, too, actually, and I don't. For bikini line, I just have a swimsuit with very low cut leg holes, or I wear shorts that I don't mind getting wet over my swimsuit (I don't guard at anyplace that has a strict dress code- just a neat and clean swimsuit). Leg hair? Who cares? I like my legs hairy. <g> It's much more comfortable . . .

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had my bikini line waxed. When you go to a salon to get it done, how does it work, exactly? Do they...er...not to sound immature, but do they make you get nekkid? I don't think I'd like that. I'd imagine they'd let ya' keep your undies on, but the whole thing sounds a little embarrasing.

And, before you ask, no, I'm not looking forward to my first gynecologist visit. *glower*

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GuardIrving1020
Neophyte
Member # 3787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuardIrving1020     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I have the same problem unfortunately. I am also a Lifeguard (hence, my screen name) and I have found that there isn't a whole lot you can do for this. However, shaving with the direction of the hair instead of against seems to be helpful and less painful. Also, there is a cream/gel that you can buy at any drugstore to treat the skin after bikini shaving. I have some and it really does help. Its called BIKINI ZONE and costs about 4 bucks a tube. Anyways, good luck with this and have a safe summer at the pool!
Posts: 1 | From: Lincoln, NE, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
towel, depending on how much you want taken off, you might not need to take off your knickers. if you just want them to wax off the sides, then all you do is drop your trousers, then pull up on your skivvies to expose the area you want removed. if you want all of it gone, as in the case of a brazilian bikini wax, you will have to take off your chonies.

how many slang terms for "panties" can i use in one post?

anyway, you can get away without having to show too much. but why does that matter? the salon ppl do this for a living, and i'm sure you will not horrify nor impress them terribly.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*dies laughing at gumdrop* geez, gummy, you are a character! I don't think I can even think of any more!

back on topic, something that no one's suggested yet is plucking (tweezering) the little hairs out (just on the bikini line) one by one. if I do this over a few days, it's not bad at all, it takes a while to grow back, and even though I get those little dots when I shave, I don't get them when I pluck.

it also doesn't irritate the surrounding skin like waxing does. but it can be kind of time-consuming, but I think it's worth it.

or get a vintage swimsuit ;] . I have a couple for the times when I am not going to do anything about my hair-down-there.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanelyn
Neophyte
Member # 2545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanelyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried nads. It doesn't work! Don't try it.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead Dog
Activist
Member # 1672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dead Dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as lemming suggested, plucking.

another thing to keep in mind, if you are shaving: try to shave in the direction that the hair grows (in other words, pulling the razor in towards your pubic area rather than out towards your thigh). the shave usually doesn't get as close this way, but it causes a lot less irritation. also try to not go over each area more than once with the razor blade. try to just make gentle strokes, only once in each little row.

try using a specialty shaving cream: there are some for shaving tender areas like bikini lines, and there are others with special moisturizers for people with sensitive skin. try to stay away from shaving creams that have added colors or fragrances: those might be adding to your irritation.

also, be sure to rinse the area *thoroughly* after shaving, to remove any bits of detached pubic hair and any remaining shaving cream. if the cream doesn't get washed out, it can get kind of clogged in your pores and cause a lot of pain and irritation!

my last suggestion is to try gently rubbing a little bit of lotion into the area after you've dried off from your shower. something gentle, like cetaphil, or lubriderm for extra-sensitive skin. aloe vera lotion is really good for some people, too. again, as with the shaving creams, just be sure to stay away from any added ingrediants that might not agree with the sensitive skin in that region.

... boy-leg bottoms work well, too, from personal experience. ;-) good luck with whatever you try!

Posts: 61 | From: texas - yeehaw, or something | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kailya
Neophyte
Member # 3846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kailya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT sound like you're getting ingrown hairs (tiny ones, ingrown so you can't see them). There's stuff called "tend skin" that supposedly works great at getting rid of those, thats what its made for. I believe they have it at www.makeupmania.com. You can find it somewhere on the computer. Its got alcohol in it so be careful on super-sensitive parts.
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.