Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Our Archives » Ask a Sexpert Archive » I don't like the pill!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't like the pill!
ComedyHQ
Activist
Member # 194

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ComedyHQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first of all, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm still alive! I went and got myself addicted to a multi player online role playing game so I haven't been here in a long time! :-) The only questions going through my mind for the past few weeks have been, "How can I effectively kill that level 300+ Vapor Golem without getting myself killed in the process?" or "Hmmmm, I wonder if I can take that group of Olthoi without any buffs and no armor?" and I don't think you guys can help me with that though! hehe :-) (btw, in case you were wondering, the game is Asheron's Call)

Now to the real reason I'm here... As the subject says, I'm not a huge fan of the pill. (I'm not anti-choice or anything... I am totally okay if it works for other women and they use it, but I just don't think it's right for me for reasons that would take to long to list here, so I'll move on. ) Anyway, several months ago I heard about an operation women can go through so I was hoping you could tell me a little bit about it. Basically what I was told was you can go in and have doctors cut a tiny section out and tie your tubes, then when you want to get pregnant you just go back in and have them untie your tubes and hook 'em back up again. (That's sounds real appealing doesn't it?) Is this accurate information? Of course when I do eventually have sex, I'll always have my partner use a condom for protection against STD's, but knowing that I would not get pregnant no matter what would be a big plus!

Ok, if none of that made sense to anyone, let me know and I'll summon a portal (as long as my spells don't fizzle) back to reality and try to write it clearer. :-)

Thanks guys! :-)

Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comedy, your game sounds fun. I hope you beat up all the monsters.

For your question, check out this website:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/bc/CONTRACHOICES.HTM#Sterilization

I think what you're asking about is something called tubal sterilization (also called tubal ligation??? or "having your tubes tied"). It is a very effective form of birth control. However, to my knowledge it is NOT easily reversible (expensive and not always successful surgery to reverse it), so it's pretty much an option only if you're very sure you never want kids.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Neophyte
Member # 254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, my mom had it done, but that was just a bonus cuz her uterus was practically "falling out" so they had to remove it, and as a result, she had to have her tubes tied. Now i know hers cannot be removed for the simple fact that there's nothing to hook em up to anymore. Actually, it's quite scary, because she told me that it runs in the family, and what happens is that the muscles holding the uterus in basically weaken and can't support it any longer, so they have to remove it. I was really young (6-7) so i can't remember all the details, but im pretty sure that was how it goes. If you get that procedure done, then you can't get your period anymore, right? im pretty sure, cuz the egg would have no where to go. I think i just aswered my own question...anyways, that's my 2 cents.
Posts: 11 | From: PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubal ligation is a highly effective form of birth control. Unfortunately, as Moonlight sez, it's not easily reversible (if it were as easy as all that, everyone and their cousin would be doing it, trust me).

Most doctors in the US will NOT perform tubal ligations (or the male equivalent, a vasectomy) on younger women. By this, in general, I mean women under the age of about 30 or so. The reason for this is that the surgery is *not* reliably reversible and doctors don't want to be sued when women who have had tubal ligations decide later on that they want to get pregnant, and the operation can't be reversed.

In general, if surgery is involved, think of it as a permanent change.

If you don't like the Pill, that's fine. But what's wrong with condoms? Condoms should be used anyhow, with every sex act involving a penis, to prevent the spread of STDs as well as pregnancy. Condoms are a very reliable form of birth control when used correctly, and a non-Pill backup method (spermicide, particularly) can enhance their reliability.

Sing along with me, to the tune of "C Is For Cookie," the Cookie Monster song...

"C is for condom, that's good enough for me!
Because condom condom condom starts with C!"

Feeling just a little punchy this morning...

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of my friends gained major weight on the pill, so they don't like it either and many stopped using it altogether! There are other less complicated things you can use like IUDs and stuff, so speak to your doctor about it. Also, try to use condoms all the time, because they are the only thing that can really help protect you from STDs!

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited July 26, 2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magnum Jimi
Neophyte
Member # 517

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Magnum Jimi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this has nothing to do with the pill topic, but I would like to say that Everquest kicks the crap outta Asheron's call! You should try it out, I have played both and enjoy EQ better, so stand back before I summon a lvl 51+ Skeleton to smite thee...

(sorry this has nothing to do with sex....unless you like skeleton sex....hmmmmm)

------------------
You can guess what the Magnum means. =)

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.