Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Our Archives » Ask a Sexpert Archive » a question about shaving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a question about shaving
ANGST
Neophyte
Member # 591

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ANGST     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious, i know that girls shave their pubic hair in various shapes and designs, but if you don't want to shave like that, but want to keep it um, "nice" for when a guy goes down on you, what is best?

------------------
"the critics all agree: get naked."

Posts: 3 | From: new york, usa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I did for the longest time was I shaved my bikini line and then trimmed up the rest.. Now I just shave everything!

------------------
Give it all you got.. and if that doesn't work, give it some more!!!

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aZzAiP31
Neophyte
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aZzAiP31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't understand how people shave EVERYTHING down there- Like in betweet where it split the skin is more flabby and how do you not cut yourself or get a cut>?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aZzAiP31...Every one in awhile, I get a nick or two...But it's not like it's the end of the world. And to keep it "nice", just trim it a bit and shave your bikini line.
Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. and actually, whever I nick down there, it doesnt hurt as much as if I nick my leg!!

------------------

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aja Valderamma
Activist
Member # 519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aja Valderamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shave it all. If you careful and use some cocoa butter and new blades or better yet an electric razor you can use in the shower you should not have a problem cutting yourself. Obviously getting everything on you labia needs to be done carefully. But when you do it so often you get really good at it.

< Never Argue With an Idiot...They Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience>

Aja

Posts: 204 | From: Capr Coral, Florida. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ
Neophyte
Member # 647

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well,i tried shaving it all the other day,and i feel really uncomfortable,cos i cant seem to get rid of the stubs...i tried putting more shaving cream,but it didnt work well...any better suggestions?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious here --

Why all the concern about pubic hair? I'm genuinely stymied about this, but the topic has been all over the boards for a long time and people just keep asking questions.

When I was a teenager no one worried about it, as far as I knew. Everyone had pubic hair. Just like everyone does now. No one shaved it or even worried about whether they should, as far as the people I know and knew were concerned. About the most anyone ever worried about was how to shave or Nair their "bikini line" so they looked good in a swimsuit.

Otherwise, we all felt like it was just hair. No biggie.

And really, it is. It's hair, we all have it, it grows, you can cut it or shave it or whatever, it's not a big deal.

But somehow it doesn't seem like "no big deal" to a lot of the people who come here to the boards. Where's all this concern about pubic hair coming from? What made you aware of the issue? What's influencing the way you feel about it? Why, in short, does anyone really care?

I don't mean to insult anyone here -- I'm just really curious, because the level of interest in the topic that you guys seem to have is just light-years away from what I grew up with, and I can't figure out why. So your input is welcome!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't mean to insult anyone here -- I'm just really curious, because the level of interest in the topic that you guys seem to have is just light-years away from what I grew up with, and I can't figure out why. So your input is welcome!

Me too!

Here is my story: I began trimming my pubic hair because when I had my period it would get matted and that really annoyed me. I shaved for the first time at my boyfriend's urging when I was 20 or so, but found it rather upseting because I had not seen just skin there since I was 9 years old. Until he suggested it, I had never know that people shave it at all. I began shaving for myself a little later on (post-boyfriend) and like it now. I'm pretty much anit-hair (I repeat, for myself) except for my head, eyebrows and lashes.

bettie/F/29

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited July 26, 2000).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

I usually do only shave my bikini line but I wanted a change. To see how it felt, how different it was to take care of it etc..

I don't think we are really concerned, we just want to learn. And we ae interested in how to do different things in different ways, just for variety.

I became aware of the issue when I started coming to the boards. Then I started thinking about it then I just wanted to try it. How I feel about shaving and how my boyfriend likes it influences me on how I shave or what I shave. I trust my boyfriends opinion.

I don't think anyone here feels like you are insulting anyone. It probably is weird that all of a sudden people are talking about pubic hair and how to shave it.. Its the new generation and we are curious!

Katrina

------------------

Aja Valderamma
Activist
Member # 519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aja Valderamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living in Florida it's very uncomfortable it's very easy to prespire. I never liked the feeling of sweat, residule urine, or any excretion from removing tampons all caught in my pubes. I also have a regime of washing there several times daily, I have this complusion that my vagina has to me squeaky clean. I hated the itching and discomfort of sweaty panties especially with hose on. At first I trimmed it very low. then decided to remove it all because I like the feel especially when I masturbate.

I guess I first got the idea seeing pictures of it in nudie magazines. I dunno I just like it that way.

Aja

Posts: 204 | From: Capr Coral, Florida. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelic-demon
Neophyte
Member # 278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelic-demon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me that men like women with shaved pubic regions because after being so used to seeing shaved legs, armpits ect. they have sort of been brainwashed that body hair on women is bad. That explanation seemed to be understandable, even if I didnt agree with it.
Posts: 19 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to be harsh, but that is a pile of malarkey.

I have met and been with men and women of all ages, races and from all walks of life, and they all vary, it isn't about being male or female, it's about personality. More often than not, it's about the partner they're with, and not about an overriding type at all...which is how it should be.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I shave my whole body except for what's on my head. I just like the smoothness, and don't care what anybody else has to say about it. I do admit, though, I first started shaving my pubic hair when I started receieving oral sex, because I didn't want him getting hair in his mouth. I guess it was out of self conscienceness. Girls these days worry a lot more about their appearances and sexuality these days, it seems.
Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Do you shave your arms too?

<just had to ask>

------------------

WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 10 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::grin::

Yes, Musickat, I shave my arms too.

------------------
"Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones.
She tensed her thighs and abdomen to will the change on, and
clutched the night air like a lover as her fingers lengthened
and her nails sprouted...The night, she thought, the sweet night"

Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wildchica, you're not alone -- I just ran into an old friend of mine from college last night, and hadn't seen him in 10 years. I wasn't sure at first if it was really him, but then I noticed that he had stubble on his arms, and the guy I knew in college used to shave his arms because he thought they were too hairy. So there ya go. Arm-shavers of the world, unite.

Cool, guys. Thanks for the input on this... anyone else who has thoughts about it is welcome to keep the ideas coming.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.