Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » S.E.X. for my brother?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: S.E.X. for my brother?
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My little brother is in 7th grade and is 13 years old. He had a girlfriend for a while, and as far as I know they pretty much just hung out at school and texted a lot (her mom thought she was too young to go on dates). They're broken up now, but my brother's a lot more popular than I was at his age, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had another girlfriend soon.

I'm worried about him making good, informed decisions when it comes to sex and relationships. I know my mom is also concerned about this and she and I talk sometimes about what resources he might need at his age and stage of physical and emotional development. I've been wondering lately if it would be a good idea to buy him a copy of S.E.X. I found Scarleteen when I was about his age (more than five years ago now!), and it was immensely helpful to me as I was figuring out my sexual orientation and identity. But I'm not sure if my brother's at a stage where the info in S.E.X. would just freak him out/be too much too soon, or if it would be helpful.

I guess I might be a little blinded by my big sister protectiveness, and unwilling to think of my little brother as a sexual person. In many ways, he's still a sweet little kid in my eyes. But that same protectiveness motivates me to make sure he's well-informed and knows how to be safe, whatever decisions he ends up making. I know my mom does a pretty good job talking to him about things, but there might be questions he's not comfortable talking to her about. I don't know. I guess I'm mostly seeking Heather's opinion on whether or not S.E.X. would be appropriate for him.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy to help!

You know, in general, when it comes to education, whether it's about sex or anything else, if and when someone isn't ready for given information, they just don't absorb it. In other words, it just kind of goes into the brain and then right back out. So, it's not like giving it to him would traumatize him if it is ahead of where he's at. As well, he can certainly skim around and read the bits that feel useful now, saving other parts for later (or never: not everything in it is going to be applicable to everyone no matter their age, after all).

I think my bigger question is where you think he's at with his emotional maturity: does he seem about the same as his peers, behind them or ahead?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's kind of what I thought, as far as readiness for info is concerned. I was just seeking some reassurance, I suppose.

I don't know that I have the best sense of what the "normal" emotional maturity for a 13-year-old boy is, but I'd be inclined to say he's a little behind his peers. I do know that he's easily influenced by his peers, is very concerned with what others think of him, and often doesn't do a great job expressing his feelings and/or opinions. Also, he broke up with his girlfriend pretty much by ceasing to talk to her, so his communication skills definitely need some work. He's shy, and he's still obviously a little uncomfortable with sex/drugs/etc. I'm concerned about him ending up in situations that he's not ready for, and I'd like him to know that it's okay to express his discomfort.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I think I might suggest a different book for right now, then, maybe something more for middle-schoolers, which he is, anyway.

How about taking a look at Mavis Jukes' "The Guy Book: An Owner's Manual" and seeing what you think of it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.