Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » Focus Group Wanted/Advance Copy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Focus Group Wanted/Advance Copy
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey y'all. [Smile]

As my editor and I are making our way through the first round of edits on the book chapters, I'd like again (this time in a more structured way) to have a focus group of around 20 - 30 readers to take a look at the book and give me/us your input.

So, for those of you dying to read it, who can't wait until spring to get your hands on it, here's your chance!

Here are the particulars of what we would need from you:
• This is reading for content, clarity, and topicalness ONLY. We do not need structural editors or copyediting: we've got all that taken care of. What we need to know is if the content is what you feel you need, not too high over your head or too low under it, if it speaks to you, if we're forgetting anything, etc.

• Diversity: as diverse a group as possible is ideal, since this is an all-inclusive book. So, men, women, transmen and transwormen, genderqueer folks. Readers who are sexually active, readers who are not. Folks of all orientations, differting personal ethics per sex, all walks of life.

• Age: we need readers for the group to be between 14 and 24. The target age range for this is 16-22.

• A confidentiality agreement: we will need to email you and have you sign -- with your legal name -- an agreement making clear you will NOT release this information/content to anyone, reprint it, or discuss it other than with me and yourselves, in a passworded forum here which I will set up for this purpose.

• The ability to read Microsoft Word documents.

• Fast reading skills. This group will take place between now and the 15th of November, and the book as a whole is around 500 single-sided pages. When printed, we're looking at about 250 pages. So, if you're a very slow reader, or English is not a language easy for you to understand, I'm afraid we'll need to decline.

I will limit this group, and be choosing not by first-come, first-served, so much as by what makes the most diverse group.

If you are interested in being part of this, please post below with the following information (just cut and paste this part right into your post), and be sure that the email you registered to the site with is current. I'll get the group going within the week and email those of you I've chosen for this

Orientation:
Sexually active or not?
Level of sexuality knowledge
(what you think/feel like you know, overall, on a scale of 1 - 10, ten being highest):

Thanks so much!

[ 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: female
Orientation: lesbian
Sexually active or not? active
Highest level of education: sophomore in college
Level of sexuality knowledge (what you think/feel like you know, overall, on a scale of 1 - 10, ten being highest): 8

I'd really love to help you out with this! Can't wait to read the book and I'd like being able to help out with the process of finishing the book. Oh, and I'm a very fast reader. [Smile]

[ 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: Female...mostly
Orientation: Lesbian.
Sexually active or not? ....not yet. Might change soon, might not.
Highest level of education: First-year in college
Level of sexuality knowledge: 7 or 8?

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: Male
Orientation: Heterosexual
Sexually active or not? Not
Highest level of education: GCSEs completed, A levels current
Level of sexuality knowledge: I'd say 8 out of 10.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bebop Bodhisattva
Neophyte
Member # 30879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bebop Bodhisattva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: Male
Orientation: Heterosexual, reserving the right to change my mind any time I feel like it
Sexually active or not? Active
Highest level of education: Currently in first year of college
Level of sexuality knowledge: 8

--------------------
"This war all around us is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad Dumier, Deus Ex

Posts: 25 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Everyone here has been emailed confidentiality agreements. And as I said in the other post, we can still have room for a few more people: the younger end of things, the better right now, and male users would also be particularly great to have more of.)

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering, when are you going to send out the first chapters as I won't be able to receive email from Sunday to Thursday.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I already did.

But I'll resend them to you just in case.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(SmileyJoseph: Check your junk mail folder. That's where hotmail put them for me.)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

I didn't expect them that quickly actually, I was expecting a date next week. You're sure no slouch, Heather. I hadn't checked my mail yet, but it was right there. [Big Grin]

--------------------

WolfTiger
Neophyte
Member # 28319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WolfTiger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: female
Orientation: lesbian
Sexually active or not? not now
Highest level of education: first year grad student
Level of sexuality knowledge (what you think/feel like you know, overall, on a scale of 1 - 10, ten being highest): 7

Posts: 5 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather- I haven't been able to track down a scanner to use to send you the confidentiality agreement, but I just wanted to inform you that I'd still like to be a part of the focus group- apparently my cousins have a scanner and I will be visiting them early next week, so I will have the agreement scanned for you then [Smile] Sorry if this causes any problems!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Lea, that's just fine.

And if you can just email me the word doc filled out without the final signature, as I noted, that's enough legally for me to send you the chaps.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! Miz Scarlett, if you sent anything, it didn't make it to me. [Frown]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Did you check your email address that's in your registration here per it being current?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also want to look at your junk filter. I had the same problem also and it was because my messages were put in the junk.

And sometimes the messages there gets deleted automatically depending on how your junk filter is set. So make sure it's all good !

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... address is current... my PDA doesn't separate junk, but it might have slipped by me when I downloaded stuff to the PC. I'll have to check tomorrow.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to apologize for dropping out of the study. My Microsoft Word doesn't work, and all .doc's can't be converted on my computer. I wasn't thinking about that when I signed up to pre-read the book. So, my most humble apologies.

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Pity you didn't say anything about that!

I would have been glad to put them in another format for you.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex/Gender ID: Female
Orientation: Mostly attracted to males, but I'm not limiting myself prematurely.
Sexually active or not? Sexually active
Highest level of education: I would be a junior in high school, but I am home schooling
Level of sexuality knowledge: 10

EDIT--Sorry, I didn't realise that this was over. If you do anything like this again, I would love to be a part of it.

[ 12-16-2006, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: katherose ]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

So sorry: this should have been closed. We're finished with this for right now, and the manuscript has since been delivered, and is now in the hands of the copyeditor.

Thanks so much for the offer of help, though! I sincerely hope NEVER to write another book as big and involved as this one again, and imagine it might be a little bit before I pitch another one for teens (mostly because a six-year publishing shop process is NOT something I want to go through again), but if I do, and need another focus group, I'll ping back the folks who wanted to be part of this one here. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.