Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Insecurities are getting the best of me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insecurities are getting the best of me
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennypanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started dating this guy, it's our 5th date, he's really sweet and funny and I like him. But lately I found out he has a bit of a past with girls... He said freshman year he was a "man whore". I told him he didn't have to talk about it if he didn't want to. But he continued to explain...I don't know what to do...I am scared, I have little experience, I'm a virgin and I'm afraid I won't be good enough for him. Or that my body won't look as good as those other girls he was with. I already have a difficult time trusting...but he said he wouldn't cheat on me, and he said that experience didn't matter, that he was here for me not my body. And that should be enough to calm my worries, but I'm a worry wort, so please help
Posts: 25 | From: Louisville | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this might be a really good read for you: Managing Vulnerability & Sexual Insecurity

I don't really have much to add to what's already in there, honestly - it covers pretty much everything! It's great that you've been able to talk to him about your worries - being able to be open and honest like that is one of the things which makes a big difference in having a good relationship, both romantic and sexual. And it's also great that he was comfortable talking about your worries... and even better, that he knows that sex isn't a videogame where you automatically level up every 10 times you do something. [Razz]

I think, honestly, that the thing which will best calm your worries is to trust your boyfriend and take him at his word. I know that's not something you can just decide to start doing, though, if it's not already coming naturally. [Smile] Do you think it would help to take sex off the table for a while, so you can cultivate some more intimacy and trust with him without feeling like The Sex is looming over you?

You might also want to have a look at:
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
First Intercourse 101

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennypanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks I guess I could do that, but how?
Posts: 25 | From: Louisville | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Yeah, thanks I guess I could do that, but how?
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Also, most of my problem is my own insecurities, how do I take care of that?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't I would start by reading the articles linked above and seeing if anything jumps out at you.

I think one thing that might be helpful for you to keep in mind is that, even if this guy has been sexual with other people? This is his first time being sexual with you, just like it's your first time with him. It will be a learning experience for both of you. It sounds like he already is at this point, which is a good sign. So I think it might help you to take a look at what your insecurities are attached to (you body, not being sure what you're comfortable with in a sexual context, etc) and then start looking for resources that can help you re-frame how you think about yourself and your experiences. Does that make sense?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Yes, thank you
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you also able to read that first link Sam gave you? There are some how's right in there. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

I didn't see any links from Sam
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's first response to you contained several links: one right at the top, and then a couple at the bottom.

Links here are a different color than unlinked text: words in a reddish-pink are active links.

The link I was referring to was the one she posted up top, titled " Managing Vulnerability & Sexual Insecurity." It's linked right there within that text, but here is that link for you again: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/managing_vulnerability_sexual_insecurity

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

My mistake! That post was from OhImpecuniousOne.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do sometimes wonder if it'd be easier if links were more purple, like the IP: Logged link is. They don't always stand out a huge amount from the black text. Or maybe I need to recalibrate my screen. [Wink]
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

We can certainly change them if folks are having an issue with seeing them (though I feel like a lead like "here's something you should read" followed by a colon and a title makes clear it's a link, so I'm guessing that wasn't the issue, but still).

This hasn't come up before or been something I've yet to hear any users mention as a problem for them, but if it is an issue now, or with some users now, it's fast and easy to swap to something else.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Pennypanda
Neophyte
Member # 109599

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I had already read the links from ohimpecuniousone then someone said link from Sam, I didn't see a link from Sam, because there was not one. Just a misunderstanding. Thanks for the links.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.