Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » how to avoid the same mistakes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: how to avoid the same mistakes
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just an update:
for a second time the guy ive been seeing said he was having second thoughts about whether a relationship is right for him at the moment. so hes gone. [Frown]

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Maddley, it sucks when someone we wanted a certain type of relationship with does not want the same with us.

But, I think this does present an opportunity for some of the soul searching stuff we recommended earlier in the thread. Taking some time to be single and sort out who you are outside of your romantic relationships, and what you want from them AND what you'll bring to them in the future might be really beneficial to you in the long run.

Also, did you see Heather's post about counseling, and whether or not you've been seeing counselor and not only using a crisis line?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess im almost scared to be single. don't get me wrong, its liberating, but I don't know i've been getting quite lonely recently, doing things I did when I was in a relationship, like going to certain resturants or, like yesterday, I went for a walk with my mum and where we went was the place where my ex first told me he liked me and we got together, and I remember it was such a perfect day and it made me so happy, but it was so painful going back, because so much has changed.
my friends all say I need to be single, but I feel almost like I don't know how to be, I mean before I was in my first relationship I was so innocent and nave, I guess I feel now how I should have felt back then, I feel like only since the breakup I feel like a single person should? im sorry if that doesn't make sense, I don't quite know how to word it.
yes i've only been using a crisis line, but getting email support. i've done a lot in the past week or two to self heal and repair and pull myself out of the dark place I was in.

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, I have to reiterate what Heather and others have been saying: you need to find a one on one, in person, non-crisis counselor. Having that support and help may make some of the things you've been dealing with emotion-wise easier to handle.

I think a good first step in the transition from coupled to single is to maybe avoid places that you associate with that relationship for a little while. Being single, especially if we haven't been so in a while, can be scary. But it's also a time to put energy into relationships we've maybe let fall by the wayside, be that with friends or with ourselves. Does that make sense?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

yeah I will try to avoid places in future, but the problem is he's come back to work now hes back from uni.
today was the first shift we were in together, and im not sure I could cope, and I was so angry but I decided to be nice and try and make conversation. again, hes still the same arrogant person he always was, but as soon as I started making conversation...my soul felt clearer and I felt lighter somehow, like tension had lifted.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.