Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Is this a healthy relationship?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a healthy relationship?
henrysickle
Neophyte
Member # 95804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henrysickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and her boyfriend have been going out a month. Before they actually got together, apparently he started emailing things out to his friends about her, and one of the recipients took it upon him/herself to forward the emails back to my friend. She asked him about it, and he denied it he had anything to do with them. They then started going out, and the emails became more frequent: her boyfriend was supposedly saying he had doubts about her and didn't trust her etc. She reported the email accounts, though she was told to just block them. She then tells me she doesn't trust him because of the details in the emails. She then told me she discovered her new boyfriend DID send out the emails, but she'd rather block it out of her mind and pretend it didn't happen, hasn't told him she knows it was him.

She then received a couple of emails stating her email account has been compromised, and she thinks it was him trying to read her emails.

Does this sound healthy? What should she do?

Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little bit confused about what's happening here.

Are you saying it seems like her boyfriend has been hacking her email?

Or are you saying her boyfriend has been emailing people talking about his own feelings about their relationship?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henrysickle
Neophyte
Member # 95804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henrysickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both. He denies both, but she said a few weeks back she doesn't trust him but wants to bury her head about it and is acting like nothing happened.
Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

Well, it's not abusive for someone to email or otherwise talk to people about their feelings, including about someone else. We all get to do that.

However, hacking into someone's email is not only a crime, but yes, an abuse of privacy. And if he's emailing everyone about these negative feelings but denies he has to her, or won't talk to her, if nothing else, we can know something's just not right here.

But it sounds like your friend knows all of these things already, and these are obviously her choices. Is she choosing to keep dating this person? Personally, if I knew someone I was dating was hacking into my email or otherwise violating my privacy, I'd be at an instant-buh-bye. Same would probably go for someone voicing conflict about me to the rooftops who wouldn't discuss it with me.

But what does SHE want to do?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurr
Neophyte
Member # 107926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the couple doesnt have comunication, or trust, and a relationship dont work without those two, so the first thing they should do if they want to save the relaitonship is be truthful to one another and talk it out, good luck to your friend(:
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.