Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Having serious trouble making friends..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having serious trouble making friends..
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrankieFrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey again everyone [Smile]

So things haven't always gone well for me in the friendships department..and I've been fine with it in the past but lately it's been really bugging me.

I had a counselor not too long ago and after he ran me through some tests, he told me I have an over-excited brain that responds highly to visual, auditory and kinesthetic stimulation altogether.

And he theorized that that's why I have trouble making friends with other regular teenagers, because i'm so extroverted and open about myself..he says it could be difficult and overwhelming for people who meet me for the first time, and I end up driving them off.

Recently a lot of exciting stuff has happened in my life and things are starting to look up, but I don't really have anyone to share it with, and my small handful of average-closeness friends don't really care about what's going on in my life and it feels kinda lonely to not have anyone to share things with..

School starts again in mid January and i'm hoping I could meet some friends there in a "normal" way..but at the same time I feel like maybe being myself is the best way to go and i'll just have to wait and see who genuinely enjoys me being who I am..
I'm not super lonely but my girlfriend can be very self-absorbed, my mom doesn't share much of my interests and my few other friends are all busy clubbing and drinking 24/7 over the school break..
None of which I find even remotely appealing ideas.

Any thoughts?.. [Frown]

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you need to connect with some other extroverts? If that sounds like a sound plan, we can talk about where you're more likely to find them. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tbelle
Activist
Member # 32076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tbelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does your daily routine look like? Do you spend enough time engaging socially with other people?

I have had trouble making friends my entire life mostly because I am too introverted. I think if you are extroverted, then it should be much easier for you to make friends. So it sounds like you just need to make a few adjustments.

I highly recommend this website, it has helped me a lot. There are no gimmicks and it's totally free to read online.

http://www.succeedsocially.com/

Posts: 107 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.