Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » This summer is terrible!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This summer is terrible!
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend is leaving on vacation until mid-august! People have been telling me to just keep myself busy with activities that I enjoy doing, and I plan on it, but I know as the month of July progresses im going to be pretty darn lonely/miserable... I trust him completely and I have no worries about him cheating and what not. But I wont be able to talk to him as much, maybe just occasional computer conversations.

My family wont be very supportive with this, they will just say "ahh suck it up", maybe I should just suck it up.

I only have a few friends to hang with during his vacation. I just feel my terrible summer creeping up on me already! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about meeting some new friends?

What are your summer plans besides social ones? For instance, do you have any jobs or volunteer work lined up? What about life goals or hobbies you want to spend time and energy with?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure where to meet new friends.

And well.. I just got a new job, maybe meet some people there? I honestly didn't put any thought into life goals or hobbies, I was just strolling along. I suppose I could focus on my artistic side.. I do love to draw

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure, a new job can be a good place to meet new friends.

So can things like volunteer work, community events, coffeehouses, sports teams, classes, etc.

But also sounds like you might be able to use some of this time to identify your own interests outside your boyfriend, too. If you don't feel like you know what things you're passionate about besides just one person in your life, then finding out more about that is pretty vital for a well-balanced, satisfying life. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

I'll actually try most of those things.. to be honest I think you are right! I never really tried to figure out what im passionate about, or even pursue anything. Maybe I could start a dance class or something.

I mean I know some things that I really enjoy doing, but I never stuck to it.

Heather
Member # 3

Want to talk a little about that?

I mean, what are -- for now, anyway -- your plans about what you want to do with your life besides be with a boyfriend?

Like, what do you want to do for a job, or for work that's the kind of work you want to do to feel fulfilled, even if it's not paying or how you'd primarily support yourself? In your own life, how do you envision yourself spending your free time when not with a boyfriend or a friend?

What are your dreams and aspirations? What kind of life do you want to be creating for yourself now and for the future?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

fiveanddime
Activist
Member # 95068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiveanddime         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind my jumping in: my boyfriend has been gone since late May and won't be back until the end of August. We both have jobs, and we have a time difference, so Skyping isn't easy. Still, we're doing fine. Texts (if you're on the same network) are a nice way to stay in touch, as are computer conversations! I've made a lot of new friends this summer, reading, and taking a lot of time for myself. Try not to look at it like you've been "left behind" but instead as if you're "doing your own thing."

I know it feels like forever, but for me, it's already been a month since he went away, and I've hardly noticed.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a poly triad with two people, and we're all stuck apart for the summer, so I feel you. =(
I agree with the other posters here - finding projects to do with your summer can really help. I have been drawing more cartoons, working on some songwriting, and teaching myself a lot of new recipes - I love cooking!
You can also do things like organize little care packages to send your boyfriend - love letters, drawings, small things you've made or bought him - so that you can be affectionate long-distance in an inventive way and give him some things that will make him think of you. I am working on care packages for my partners right now.

Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.