Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Minor concern about new online relationship.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minor concern about new online relationship.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specifically, both I and he are fairly withdrawn and non-social in real life, and I'm slightly concerned that we risk one or both of us becoming even more so because of our online relationship - I don't want to potentially cause him problems, and I know I'm at risk because I was effectively a shut-in throughout my teens and I don't want to let myself do that again. I don't want either of us to subconsciously use it as a reason to miss out on face-to-face interactions. I don't know if this will be a problem, but I thought it best to address it before it became one.

One thing I thought of was that we could promise each other we'd do something social offline on a reasonably regular basis and then tell the other about it. I'm not sure if this would work, as I don't want to come across as nagging him. Anyone have any thoughts?

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your idea sounds like a good one! Telling your partner about your day or how you're doing is a natural and fun thing to do - it wouldn't be nagging, in my opinion, to set up something like that. You can always make it sound like a fun activity for you both to "engage" in - instead of making it "sound" like a promise - so as to avoid feeling that you are nagging him.

I think if you keep the lines of communication open and are honest with each other, the problems you mentioned might not happen; or, if they do, they could be resolved efficiently. I know it's tough to be honest sometimes, but it will certainly help in tightening your relationship. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.